Lost Homers?

CTPaul

Lost Homers?

Post by CTPaul » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:16 pm

I built the LCS pigeon loft about a month ago now and have had 6 young homers in there since. This evening I left the door open to give them an opportunity to fly out and start getting accustomed to the area. I opened the door around 5 pm and by dark I had no birds back in the loft. There were 4 birds in the trees above the loft but they would not come back down. I haven't fed them since Sunday so I felt good about it but now I'm a little concerned. I put quite a bit into the loft and the birds and they were going to be my ticket to really getting my setter trained so I'm naturally frustrated.

Any advice to get them back? If I don't get them back can I buy older birds and train them within a few weeks?

ROTTnBRITT

Re: Lost Homers?

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:52 pm

They should go back in the loft in a day or two. I've had this happen with some of mine.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:22 pm

Happened to me to. They all came back after a couple days,
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

RichK

Post by RichK » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:46 pm

As everyone else has said. This is pretty common. It might take a day for them to return to the loft.

I'd go shake some food and put it in the loft if they're in the trees around it. This usually works for me to get the birds back into it.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:20 pm

If you want to stop that you need to put them out on your landing board in a cage for a few days so they can look around before they fly. Also you just need to have them hungry, in other words skip the morning feeding before releasing them. You don't need to starve them.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

A_LOTA_NOTA

Post by A_LOTA_NOTA » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:40 am

About a year ago I had some that I had been flying for a few months. One day I let them out and for some reason they roosted in a tree, they never returned to my loft.

CTPaul

Post by CTPaul » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:08 pm

Well thanks everyone. I ended up with 4 of the 6 back on the loft and the settling cage goes on over the landing board tomorrow. Hoping to be flying them a good 8 miles by September?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:16 pm

You can probably do 8 miles within a week and if you want You could do 100 miles by Sept.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:24 pm

It's like the dogs , give the the opportunity and the genetics take over, once I got over the nerves to actually distance train the birds took to it easy. 8 miles in a week sounds about right with routing birds.

10Sam29

Post by 10Sam29 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:54 pm

If you can find a good source of birds in your area, be sure to ask for "squeakers". These are young pigeons that are more likely to acclimate to your loft. I have the same loft, and have had good luck keeping them locked down for a week with the ability to be outside viewing their surroundings from a cage.