Re-Homing Pigeons

kstater

Re-Homing Pigeons

Post by kstater » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:20 pm

So last Friday we had a storm with 80 MPH winds that rolled my pigeon coop. Most of the adults made it out ok and have found a new home on the barn nearby. I was lucky enough to find a coop that over the weekend and have put it back in the same spot. It has a nice landing platform with a door in with bobs that are removed for now to allow easy entrance. Its been a couple of days and I think they are taking food from the platform but not going in. I have baited the inside of the new coop and the platform. My plan is to give them a few days to come and go while moving more feed further inside the coop then lower the bobs. They were returning well enough I hadn't trained them to return to a noise so can't use that. Any other suggestions?

greg jacobs

Re: Re-Homing Pigeons

Post by greg jacobs » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:01 pm

Just wondering. Do you have your old feeder and water in the new coop? Old nest boxes? Have you checked during the dark hours to see if any are inside. Did they use bobs before. I would think it scared them pretty bad. If they are coming for food that has to be a good start. I can't really help but I'm sure one of the real pigeon people will chime in.

Greg J

kstater

Re: Re-Homing Pigeons

Post by kstater » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:34 am

I bet it was a pretty bad ride when the old one rolled but yes the old feeders are in the new coop and they did use bobs in the old coop. We have a big storm coming in today so I put the bobs down and put a little food on the platform and lots inside where they could see it and hopefully they will come on in. The barn gutter has become the evening roost spot. If we get the storms they are projecting I might catch them as they come out of the gutter spout. :o