Squabs dying

oldbeek

Squabs dying

Post by oldbeek » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:53 pm

Some new pigeons I got started laying and setting. In my mind these birds leave the eggs to much. They did hatch but the mothers didn't stay with them enough then they died. My perception of a good hen is from one hen I got last year. She almost never left the nest and has never lost a squab. She lays in the next box after about 15 days old and starts another pair.

Iowa

Re: Squabs dying

Post by Iowa » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:26 pm

I have some that are better parents than others. Those are the ones that are on the next 24/7. I put bands on the good ones and dont use them in training (they still get to free fly).

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:28 pm

oldbeek wrote:Some new pigeons I got started laying and setting. In my mind these birds leave the eggs to much. They did hatch but the mothers didn't stay with them enough then they died. My perception of a good hen is from one hen I got last year. She almost never left the nest and has never lost a squab. She lays in the next box after about 15 days old and starts another pair.
The birds instincts are really good and the temps will vary how close and long they stay on the nest. You can get a poorer bird once in a while but I have never had any that were continue failures since you have two birds sitting and feeding so which one are you going to blame>
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:44 am

I have caused myself trouble when I was not diligent enough and let there water run out.

What are you using for nests, the better the nest the better my success rate, at first I had chicks falling out and freezing to death. It is worth the effort to get your nest boxes just right.