Young pigeon question

muckalee

Young pigeon question

Post by muckalee » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:09 pm

I took one of my Johnny houses and turned in to a coop. Had a pair mate and bring off one bird nesting in bottom corner of house. Young bird about 2-2.5 weeks old, rapidly putting on feathers and starting to hop around bottom of house. Tonight I noticed for first time parents did not go to young bird and did not roost with young one.

Are the parents still feeding the young bird? Should I put some feed in bottom ?

Hoosierdaddy

Re: Young pigeon question

Post by Hoosierdaddy » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:15 am

I dont think you have anything to worry about.I have noticed that when the babies get to a certain size the parents probably cant cover them anymore .As long as they keep getting bigger they are being fed.No need to try to feed them,mine have all figured it out without any extra effort.
"a man has got to know his limitations" Clint Eastwood

Chicago Blackhawks Six Time Stanley Cup Champions

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013 2015

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:28 pm

feel their craw for solid food. Solid food in their craw, they are on their own.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:01 am

oldbeek wrote:feel their craw for solid food. Solid food in their craw, they are on their own.
Not necessarily. The parents feed them solid food as they grow. One of the better signs is feathered under the wing. But normally you will see them come to the feeders and eat on their own.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:20 pm

muckalee wrote:I took one of my Johnny houses and turned in to a coop. Had a pair mate and bring off one bird nesting in bottom corner of house. Young bird about 2-2.5 weeks old, rapidly putting on feathers and starting to hop around bottom of house. Tonight I noticed for first time parents did not go to young bird and did not roost with young one.

Are the parents still feeding the young bird? Should I put some feed in bottom ?
If you only have a pair and they are the parents then all you are doing is putting the feed on the floor. Let the parents do the job . Water would be good help .

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:57 am

They need to be feathered before the parent's leave them. I have a bunch that are hatched in high nest's and once they figure out how to get down, eating and drinking on their own starts pretty soon. It's hard to not take care of a pigeon right. You could house them in an old box and as long as predators don't get in and they have food and water, running them of, or attempting to run them off is a fools mission.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!