Hunting Dog Training & More    

Popular Searches: Garmin Astro | Dog Collars | Tri-Tronics | SPORTdog

WTB Woodcock Wings

(training equipment, collars, hunting gear, DVDs/books, shotguns, more!)

WTB Woodcock Wings

Postby BraqueFrancais115 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:44 pm

Hello. I have a 5.5 month old French Pointer (Braque Francais) that I wanted to get started on woodcock. I've been out to woodcock habitat in the area a number of times with no luck. To be frank, I'm not sure he truly knows what a woodcock is. With that said, it would be incredibly helpful if I had a pair of woodcock wings to train him on - even just one.

Anyone have any spare wings?

Thank you.
BraqueFrancais115

Re: WTB Woodcock Wings

Postby Az Draht » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:40 am

The Migratory Bird Treaty Act makes it illegal for anyone to take, possess, import, export, transport, sell, purchase, barter, or offer for sale, purchase, or barter, any migratory bird, or the parts, nests, or eggs of such a bird except under the terms of a valid permit issued pursuant to Federal regulations

https://www.fws.gov/birds/policies-and-regulations/laws-legislations/migratory-bird-treaty-act.php
Az Draht

Postby Meller » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:00 am

Why not just start with live pigeons? They will do a lot more than any wing, at least in my opinion.
Meller

Postby BraqueFrancais115 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:01 am

Az Draht wrote:The Migratory Bird Treaty Act makes it illegal for anyone to take, possess, import, export, transport, sell, purchase, barter, or offer for sale, purchase, or barter, any migratory bird, or the parts, nests, or eggs of such a bird except under the terms of a valid permit issued pursuant to Federal regulations

https://www.fws.gov/birds/policies-and-regulations/laws-legislations/migratory-bird-treaty-act.php

Well I'll be darned - had no idea. Thank you for enlightening me on the matter.
BraqueFrancais115

Postby BraqueFrancais115 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:03 am

Meller wrote:Why not just start with live pigeons? They will do a lot more than any wing, at least in my opinion.

I did start on live pigeons - thing is, many dogs don't actually like/know what woodcock smells like. I'd like to change that or at least tip the odds in my favor. Given the recent developments, however, looks like i wont be getting my hands on a wing any time soon since it's illegal.
BraqueFrancais115

Postby ezzy333 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:42 am

It has been my experience over many years it makes little difference to a pup what bird you are using as they are bred to hunt and a bird is a bird till you show it what you ae hunting. It is a concern when we start thinking that bird parts taped to a bumper smells like a bird and not a bird part taped to a bumper or a liquid out of a bottle smells like a bird and not liquid out of a bottle.

Ezzy
ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Postby BraqueFrancais115 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:07 pm

ezzy333 wrote:It has been my experience over many years it makes little difference to a pup what bird you are using as they are bred to hunt and a bird is a bird till you show it what you ae hunting. It is a concern when we start thinking that bird parts taped to a bumper smells like a bird and not a bird part taped to a bumper or a liquid out of a bottle smells like a bird and not liquid out of a bottle.

Ezzy

Wasn't looking for advice while posting on the classifieds, but thank you. That aside, using a "bird part," as you put it - for training purposes and drills - SHOWS the pup which bird we're hunting! You can't deny the fact that if one trains a dog to track using a given scent ie bird wing, the dog will hone in on that wild scent while out in the field... hard to argue against that. "I've smelled this before - let's find the source of the scent." -dog
BraqueFrancais115

Postby Meller » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:03 pm

I don't think you have much to worry about, if it is a game bird, such as quail pheasant or woodcock, if you trained with pigeons and the dog pointed them, it will point the others; it may bump a few before it settles into pointing them, but it will catch on rather quickly. :D
Meller

Return to Hunting/Dog Related Stuff For Sale