Hunting Dog Training & More    

Popular Searches: Garmin Astro | Dog Collars | Tri-Tronics | SPORTdog

Brittany Female -- Experienced hunter

Anything older than 6 months will be moved here.

Brittany Female -- Experienced hunter

Postby kylemac » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:44 pm

Winchester, Tennessee
Brittany Female, Maggie Lynn
Spayed, 4 yr old
Born December 17, 2014

Great hunting and companion dog - I attached a good pic of her over her success in Kansas last year.

Champion lines – she has great genetics and a good pedigree; she is direct from 2009 National Gun Dog Champion and 2009 National Amateur Gun Dog Champion -- NGDC/NAGDC/FC/AFC Peter Gunn
He is out of Carter Brittany Kennels in SE Georgia. Peter Gunn was the first to accomplish that in the same year, I believe. You can check out his lineage and accomplishments here: http://www.carterbrittanykennels.com/NG ... nPete.html

Maggie is a good dog, petite and very fast, loves to run, but not too wide. She has a few years of experience in the field. She spent the summer with Bird dog trainer Dave Walker, from Forsyth, GA in formal training and lots of varied bird work in North Dakota. I have had her on countless quail and pigeons in the field since. She spent the last two seasons hunting with me here in TN and in Kansas. She’s got experience with an e-collar – she’s very responsive to it. After reminding here what it’s about, she responds very well to the lowest setting or just the beep of the collar. Never had to be harsh with her at all – she’s excited to see the collar as she knows what it means. She’s got good drive -- been cut by barbed wire and still wanted to hunt. Vet patched her up and we hit it hard again – no change in her demeanor at all.

She has been kenneled multiple times and takes to it fine, but loves to be in the house the most – completely housebroken. She has been around a number of other dogs. It takes her a minute to warm up to strange dogs, but after a few hours they are old friends. She can be protective of her boss and a little jealous when she’s perched in the lap and so forth, but not unlike a lot of other dogs might be.
She is very loving and affectionate and high energy. She goes all day long and crashes hard at night.

More on hunting – she works very hard and enthusiastically and points as well as any dog she’s hunted with. She won a puppy trial here locally early on. She kennels up well – its never been her favorite but she settles in fine. She’s hunted by herself and with several other dogs of varying breeds and sizes – brittanies, GSPs, drahthars. She is not steady to flush, but I have never pushed her to be. I want her finding that bird. She has a nice soft mouth when picking up birds. She’s been on quail, pheasant, dove, and pigeons for training. Great around the gun – no issues at all.

She could use some work on backing – doesn’t seem natural for her, but she does good with a quick whoa! And admittedly, I have never worked her hard on the topic. She holds steady though, once stopped. She retrieves partially and has been improving a bunch. She’ll usually find the bird and brings it back towards me. She’s brought a few to hand, but more than not she sets the bird down to admire it somewhere in-between. She is getting the idea more and more - but I haven’t pushed the issue, so she could maybe use some work on retrieving if this is important to you. She is comfortable with water and will swim if coerced or after a bird – she wasn’t initially thrilled with it though, but has taken to it.

We’ve loved having her around the house and in the field, but with a new grandbaby in the house and an upcoming job transfer pending, she would likely be better off with a hunting family elsewhere, so I am trying to do right by her and seek a new family for her. Right now I have acreage to run her, but no telling where I’ll end up next. I hate to see her without room to roam.

Just trying to think of everything – but that’s all I can think of for now – let me know if you have other questions.

She’s got a lot invested in her – and a lot of good hunting career in front of her yet -- but I just want her in the right home more than the money. I’ll take $1,000 for her, and throw in her kennel and so forth if you need it.

You can pick her up or fly her to you easily enough – I am an hour or so from multiple airports.

Let me know.

Kyle McArthur
Winchester, TN
Attachments
Maggie_2017_Kansas.jpg
Maggie_2017_Kansas.jpg (346.98 KiB) Viewed 1543 times
kylemac

Re: Brittany Female -- Experienced hunter

Postby BigTub » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:33 pm

sounds like a great deal ... must be hard to let her go.
BigTub

Postby mattyv915 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:32 pm

Do you have any additional pictures? Also can you expand on how she does in the house??
mattyv915

Postby Dakotazeb » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:21 pm

I have a few questions:

Do you have a copy of her pedigree?
Or can you tell me who the dam is?
Is Peter Gunn the sire?
How big is she, height and weight?

And yes, some additional pics would be nice.

Thanks.
Dakotazeb

Postby oldbeek » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:33 pm

I have almost the same dog but 1 year older. Had to force fetch train her. Her best fetch ever is 900ft now. She will not back in competition. She feels she can find more birds than the other dog. Best NSTRA last year was 7 birds and 1130 points in 30 minutes. She adapts very well to any age child. She will scent birds and wait for me to come to her side before she goes in to pin them down. Knows what pace I can climb lava faces when chucker hunting and stays just 15 ft above me during the climb. In wild bird hunting she backs and does everything perfect. Really smart dog. strong willed but biddable in training. Little expensive for a 4 year old with some bad traits. back and retrieve, but a very well bred dog. Good Luck.
oldbeek

Postby Dakotazeb » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:25 pm

I fail to understand when someone lists a dog for sale on a site like this and other members have questions, etc. that the OP never answers the posts. Maybe the dog is no longer for sale but it sure would be nice for the OP to indicate that. :?
Dakotazeb

Postby oldbeek » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:17 pm

I agree 100%
oldbeek

Postby kylemac » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:11 am

Sorry folks -- been out of town and had some connectivity issues with the site because my VPN was not working -- but been responsive to PMs that hit my email.

I appreciate the community here -- We found her a good hunting home!

Thank you for all your interest!
kylemac

Postby setterpoint » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:24 pm

wish I had room for the dog someone should move fast on that dog
setterpoint

Return to ARCHIVE: Previous Listings SOLD/OLD/GONE