Oregon GSP breeder

Anything older than 6 months will be moved here.
emmagator

Oregon GSP breeder

Post by emmagator » Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:44 am

Looking for a new GSP for hunting.

Heard great things amor Chippewa Kennels, however they have no planned litters. Any suggestions? Personal experience would be helpful. I spoke to Foxglove Kennels in southern Washington, I've read they have decent dogs. Also looking at Calvert Kennels.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Re: Oregon GSP breeder

Post by slistoe » Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:29 pm

Not sure how far from you this is or how active they still are but I would be very happy to hunt over any of the dogs I have seen from this kennel www.dunfur.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chemist

Post by Chemist » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:24 pm

What are you planning on hunting and how? While you certainly can hunt it all with a GSP, you may want a dog from a slightly line if 90% of your hunting is pheasant vs 90% of your hunting being chukar vs a hodgepodge of chukar/hun/quail/pheasant/duck. If the dog will be a house/lap dog size of the line may also be a consideration for you. Buy from a litter that you like the parents.

Based on the kennels you have looked at I am guessing you are on the west side. The three breeders I have heard a lot of good things about are in Southeast Washington, but you have not gotten a lot of replies so I figured I would post them.

I have a GSP that I that I got from Coy Moore at Reliable Kennels in Moxee Wa (Yakima area). The dog has very natural point, a good nose, and has been easy to train. I am an amateur/weekend warrior so take my analysis with a grain of salt, but I have been very pleased. My dog is a male on the bigger side at about 73ish pounds. Coy is in his 80s, and has been breeding dogs for 50ish years. Last I talked to him, he has one litter a year.

Two of the guys at my shotgun club have gotten dogs from Dunfur mentioned above. They are very pleased with their dogs. One of the fellows runs field trials and has had bird dogs for 30 + years. His dog is 1.5 years old and still developing but he says that he thinks she is going to be the best dog he has ever had.

There is a duetsch kurzhaar breeder in Walla Walla called vom Tracken Bach. DK are basically GSP that adhere to the german standard of breeding. Whether they are the same breed or not is a subject that can stir the pot. In general a DK tends to be bigger boned than a GSP. The sire of my dog came out of this kennel. I saw him work on planted birds and was impressed.

I hope you find a breeder that suits your needs/wants.

emmagator

Post by emmagator » Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:45 pm

Dunfur kennels? Any feedback. Seem like big trial folks.
PMs only

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:32 am

Order a pup from Fred Rice or Friedelsheim and have it shipped..

I personally wouldn't do an AA field trial dog unless you are wanting a Big Running dog.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:19 am

Look at face book,Southern California pointing breeds. Mitch Prowse at Dragonpoint gun dogs
has amazing GSP gun dogs. He is in Paso Robles CA. He competes in NSTRA and every dog he sells ends up on the podium, no matter who trains them. We have one member from the northwest region that regularly goes to Washington. He can get a dog up to you. Mitch recently crossed his line with Rawhide kennels , 2 time regional champ. Rawhides dogs come out of amazing Arizona quail hunting dogs. Any dog out of the Dragon Point line will be a super hunting dog. If you dont know what NSTRA is , look it up. These are not field trial dogs. These are hunting dogs playing the NSTRA game.