Troy, Missouri area

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Troy, Missouri area

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:36 am

Looking for info. on this area. I will be moving here the first week of October. Looking for info. on the job market, housing, cost of living, extracurricular activities, pay scale, difficulty with acquiring employment, etc. . My family is from the area and I have spoken to them about these subjects but was looking for less jaded info. since they all want me to move here. I have plenty of land and places to hunt but was looking for more information geared toward the relocation aspect rather than the hunting and birds. I am also interested in any info. concerning trials, shooting clubs, family events, etc. Thanks.

Ghosted3

Re: Troy, Missouri area

Post by Ghosted3 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:10 pm

What kind of job are you looking for? Cost of living is not too bad in that area, but Illinois is crap for jobs atm, Mo. might be a little better but a lot of it depends on what you are looking for. As far as the dog clubs ect., I am not sure around that area, sorry.

Corry

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:03 pm

That is close to the St Louis area, we are sw Mo but I would think a little higher prices in that area. Good news is closer to watch the CARDINALS. There are games for your dog just depends on your choice.

TraditionsGSPs2010

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:22 pm

Born and raised in STL. Now I live two hours north in Quincy, IL. Jobless rate hovering around 8-9% much like the rest of the country. Not many people live in downtown St. Louis and you will find most folks live in the "county". Troy has exploded over the last 15 years and although it is pretty far west, there are a lot more companies moving out that direction. I am the chapter secretary for the MO Uplands NAVHDA club and we have about 50 members in St. Louis and central MO. Purina is headquartered in STL and they do a good job of sponsoring local events. MO has lots of public hunting and the MO Dept of Conservation is tops in the nation. Busch Wildlife is just south of Troy and is a great place to train dogs.

Hope that helps.
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:52 am

Ghosted3 wrote:What kind of job are you looking for? Cost of living is not too bad in that area, but Illinois is crap for jobs atm, Mo. might be a little better but a lot of it depends on what you are looking for. As far as the dog clubs ect., I am not sure around that area, sorry.

Corry
I have a lot of prior industrial maintenance experience i.e. electrical, electronics, ammonia refrigeration, have bachelors degree in finance and minors in business management and marketing and have been working in law enforcement for the past few years and have also been the SID for a university. Looking to get out of law enforcement. Thought I might get a job with a manufacturing company. Heard there are quite a few manufacturers in the area who are expanding their existing facilities or building new ones. In my experience there is opportunity for advancement in the manufacturing sector. I noticed rental prices in the area are about what they are where I live but have heard from relatives that wages are substantially higher than where I live. Where I live, is extremely rural and not a lot of opportunities for employment and most of the jobs that are here are dead end jobs thus the reason for moving. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Thanks for the info. Traditions I have private land to hunt and train dogs on but was just curious about what type of trials were around. Not sure my Pointers would do well in NAVHDA. Was looking more at NBHA or walking shooting dog, something like that. Maybe even NSTRA but my dogs run pretty big so not sure about NSTRA either.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:33 am

Tommy,

I had a son-in-law get out of the Army , moved to Peoria, and got a job within a couple of weeks. If all else fails you might try them. Wouldn't be too far from home.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:42 am

With your list of qualifications you should be fine in the STL area, especially with a background in law enforcement. Best of luck to you when you make the move, hopefully everything works out well for you!.

Corry

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:41 am

Thanks fellas. Not looking forward to leaving the family behind until I find housing and work but gotta do what I gotta do. Looking forward to moving though. Thanks again guys.