Biting Flies

SHaRPS

Biting Flies

Post by SHaRPS » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:05 pm

I am noticing a serious up tick in biting flies in my region (Southern New England) this year. This is actually the first year I have ever had an issue with biting flies on my dogs. At first I thought it was just my dogs but I am noticing that all of my friends and family dogs have bites on their backs and heads as well. They make a spray which I have been using but I hate putting chemicals on my dogs. The dog run is clean of excess food and waste. Anyone have this issue and recommend how to keep them off or away? I did read that certain herbs repel flies so I will try hanging some of these as well. I also did a 50/50 mix of Apple cider vinegar and water but that did not help at all. Not sure what options remain.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Biting Flies

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:55 pm

You realize everything you mentioned are chemicals, some natural occurring and some have been combined in a lab, but still all chemicals that have very similar qualities, that is why they work to make our lives as well as our dogs lives better. The same is true with the dog food we feed. The ingredients carry the chemicals that a dog needs to live, and that is the reason most foods are very similar though made by different companies. What I am getting at is when you say you have some doubts about chemicals you are painting with a brush that is much too broad. Our very lives are based on chemicals. And a lot of them have been man made o improve the quality of our lives.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:50 pm

Go to a local farm coop or similar place. Dairy farmers and Ranchers have stuff they put in the barns that help keep down the flys and insects. I beleive you can put it up where the dogs cannot get into it....

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:08 pm

I use a combination of fly predators, stinky traps, and sticky traps. None of them are 'chemical'. Placement of each is important. If you go to the fly predator website, they have lots of information about the different types of flies and how to control them.

One summer we used Golden Malrin in the poop buckets, and it knocked down tons of flies. BUT...our little dog got into the tin ( it stinks) and went into continuous seizures. The vet was able to bring her around with an antidote, but we'll not ever use organophosphates here again.