Morales

twofeathers

Morales

Post by twofeathers » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:33 pm

It's pretty early but found two morales today. A guy I work with near Lost Nation Iowa found a good sack full. :D

Heads up to those who like to eat them they are out early this year. The two I found stuck out like a sore thumb there is barely any undergrowth in the woods right now.

gotpointers

Re: Morales

Post by gotpointers » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:36 am

that's a good looking shorthair you have there. I think you are talking about mushrooms but not sure. Anyways i like that dog where's he from?

Angus

Post by Angus » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:25 am

A few have been found here in PA as well. Pretty this year, but with this weather everything is early.

Benny

Post by Benny » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:51 am

Is that spelling discrepancy or a different type of mushroom than I'm thinking of?

We have Morels in C.O. and they will not be coming out early with the rough spring and very cold nights still in effect.
If it is the same mushroom then yes, very tasty and a personal favorite.

If you want a rib eye you'll never forget, put a little sauce pan on the stove and try this:

saute 1/4 onion till almost golden,
add 1/4 red bell pepper,
1/2 cup cheap red wine (not boones!),
reduce to simmer till red wine cooks down a bit,
add 5 halved morels,
simmer till it looks yummy.

Toss that over your steak and you'll be spending the rest of your life hunting morels...

I gave my buddy below that recipe :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:42 am

Benny wrote:Is that spelling discrepancy or a different type of mushroom than I'm thinking of?

We have Morels in C.O. and they will not be coming out early with the rough spring and very cold nights still in effect.
If it is the same mushroom then yes, very tasty and a personal favorite.

If you want a rib eye you'll never forget, put a little sauce pan on the stove and try this:

saute 1/4 onion till almost golden,
add 1/4 red bell pepper,
1/2 cup cheap red wine (not boones!),
reduce to simmer till red wine cooks down a bit,
add 5 halved morels,
simmer till it looks yummy.

Toss that over your steak and you'll be spending the rest of your life hunting morels...

I gave my buddy below that recipe :D
I had the same kind of boones when i read "not boones" but leaves me wondering will mad dog 20/20 work? It used to work pretty good back in the high school days

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:20 am

[quote="Benny"]Is that spelling discrepancy or a different type of mushroom than I'm thinking of?

:oops: You are correct.

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:24 am

gotpointers wrote:that's a good looking shorthair you have there. I think you are talking about mushrooms but not sure. Anyways i like that dog where's he from?

Thanks, his pedigree is in my signature. Picked him up in Clarence, Iowa.

Benny

Post by Benny » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:55 am

Yeah I suppose you could try the boones farm in that recipe :D

Lemme know how it turns out!

Twofeathers, what kind of sites do you see morels in your country? Over here we seem to have two types of logic...mid sere forest with firs, and my favorite, old burns.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:41 am

The saying around here is south side of hills. I tend to find most within eye shot of hickory trees where the bark has begun peeling off "shag bark hickories" I call them. The river near where I live floods nearly every year creating some interesting dried up canals through the woods that's where I tend to find the most. :D

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:47 am

twofeathers wrote:The saying around here is south side of hills. I tend to find most within eye shot of hickory trees where the bark has begun peeling off "shag bark hickories" I call them. The river near where I live floods nearly every year creating some interesting dried up canals through the woods that's where I tend to find the most. :D
My teacher :D told me dead barkless elms, and that's held true for me. Usually I have to take a stick and flip through the mayapples to see, but I'm not even sure those are up and unfolded yet. I feel like we lost our Spring and went straight to Summer. :(

tahi193

Post by tahi193 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:24 am

My dad found some morels last spring. I had never eaten them so I was a little apprehensive. I must say, they are absolutely wonderful. They have a flavor I can't even describe. Definitely not a "regular" mushroom.

Benny

Post by Benny » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:33 am

They are delicious!

No wonder you guys have morels popping, it just started snowing again this morning here so I imagine we won't be having steak dinner for a while :(
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:26 pm

I had an Uncle who always told me he had trouble finding them until he found the first one, then he would start finding them. And I would always think, doesn't everybody have to find the first one before they can find a mess? :? :lol:

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Benny

Post by Benny » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:35 pm

That hits home for me. Seems like you search forever in a spot you're just sure of, and before you know it you spotted one, and realized you've stepped on 30 or 40 on your way in the center of a patch of morels.

Reminds me a lot of sage rat hunting. You have to teach people what to look for and then once they have the eye they see them everywhere!
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

brad27

Post by brad27 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:01 pm

Benny wrote:That hits home for me. Seems like you search forever in a spot you're just sure of, and before you know it you spotted one, and realized you've stepped on 30 or 40 on your way in the center of a patch of morels.

Reminds me a lot of sage rat hunting. You have to teach people what to look for and then once they have the eye they see them everywhere!
Any chance you can define that in the "Half wit terms" thread?

Benny

Post by Benny » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:51 pm

You're a Cali-boy, aren't you guys loaded with sage rats?

I believe it's a belding ground squirrel but I'm not 100% on the species ID. I just hammer down on them and ask questions later :wink:
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

Hookadooka BirdDogs

Post by Hookadooka BirdDogs » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:29 am

So I am hunkered down, leaning against a tree in my finest camo. Been calling this huge Tom in for over an hour. He's getting closer, gobbling like all get out. Just about ready to take a shot. Aw crap. Two guys walk within ten feet of me with their morel buckets in hand. Scared them when I stood up and grabbed my stuff and headed to the truck. Better luck next time. Kind of like when your bass fishing and some hotshot pulls in near you with his big fancy bass boat and asks if they're biting today.
Pointed birds: If it's flyin', it's dyin'.

In 1969, the only woodstock I saw was on my M-14.

pinebrookkennel

Post by pinebrookkennel » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:34 am

Hb
That kills me, Been there a couple times myself. With the early shrooms this year we won't get a break from the mob of guys out tramping all over.
One of the best things about it is you can scare the %hi% out of them when they walk into your setup, if they don't see your decoys first. :lol:
Make no distinction between practice and combat !
Miyamoto Musashi.
Knowledge, once gained can never be stolen or repossessed.
Jered

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:49 am

I found a handful the other day, but cool nites here recently have hurt us, Im hoping they dont all pop early and then gone.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:04 pm

Never had anyone to teach me the mushroom game... always been afraid to try... would love to tho, cuz I love 'em. Picked a bunch of leeks today... some folks know 'em as ramps. Be chowin' down on leek dip tonight! 8) Wife will make me sleep in the basement! :lol:
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

llewellinsetter

Post by llewellinsetter » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:23 pm

SHORTFAT wrote:Never had anyone to teach me the mushroom game... always been afraid to try... would love to tho, cuz I love 'em. Picked a bunch of leeks today... some folks know 'em as ramps. Be chowin' down on leek dip tonight! 8) Wife will make me sleep in the basement! :lol:
Leeks and ramps are very different both in flavor and size and shape, im a chef so im pretty well versed in this subject , As for morels look by elm trees and also wet ditches and stuff there not super hard to find.
The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:02 pm

llewellinsetter wrote:
SHORTFAT wrote:Never had anyone to teach me the mushroom game... always been afraid to try... would love to tho, cuz I love 'em. Picked a bunch of leeks today... some folks know 'em as ramps. Be chowin' down on leek dip tonight! 8) Wife will make me sleep in the basement! :lol:
Leeks and ramps are very different both in flavor and size and shape, im a chef so im pretty well versed in this subject , As for morels look by elm trees and also wet ditches and stuff there not super hard to find.
Also, don't be afraid, nothing else looks like a Morel. With all this talk, I went out for a couple hours yesterday and got skunked :evil: I believe it is still just a little early where I am at but some people are starting to find them.

Charlie

llewellinsetter

Post by llewellinsetter » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:59 pm

birddogger wrote:
llewellinsetter wrote:
Also, don't be afraid, nothing else looks like a Morel. With all this talk, I went out for a couple hours yesterday and got skunked :evil: I believe it is still just a little early where I am at but some people are starting to find them.

Charlie
ya we are still a little early in the midwest but soon within the next month for sure
The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:36 pm

They have been finding them here for a week or two. Thats northern IL. Heard someone say they are finding them I michigan already. The lilacs are starting to bloom and the asparagus is up and growing so the mushrooms should be too.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:23 pm

Benny wrote:They are delicious!

No wonder you guys have morels popping, it just started snowing again this morning here so I imagine we won't be having steak dinner for a while :(
You are right Benny, they are delicious, but unless I have more than I know what to do with, the only way is battered and fried for me. :D

Charlie

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:30 pm

ezzy333 wrote:They have been finding them here for a week or two. Thats northern IL. Heard someone say they are finding them I michigan already. The lilacs are starting to bloom and the asparagus is up and growing so the mushrooms should be too.

Ezzy
Ya they are finding them early this year. I was disappointed when I didn't find any but the ground was really dry where I was hunting. I may try a different place tomorrow.

Charlie

asc

Post by asc » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:02 am

Thats sound like a lot of fun and the reward of some good eats. :D

Only shroom hunters I know of down here are the ones looking for the psychedelic kind in the cow patties. :|
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!