Fishing

Angus

Fishing

Post by Angus » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:17 pm

Anyone gonna do some fishing during the warm months? I'm gonna try to get my 3yo daughter out bunch this year. We've tried a couple times, but she doesn't have the patients yet, and hasn't caught anythign yet. If she can hook into some sunnies or trout she might enjoy it a little more.

I'm gonna try the local lakes and maybe the river to get some Walleye. I'd like to have a bunch for a big fish fry this summer for family and friends. Couple nice lakes close by that are not known for their walleye, but do have some in them.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Re: Fishing

Post by wems2371 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:32 pm

My husband's going to Lake Reelfoot next week with his dad and brother. Kind of a yearly Easter vacation thing they do. Otherwise we fish locally for crappie & bass. Just got a used otter boat that I think will be fun to use for both fishing and duck season. Hoping to try that out soon. :wink:

llewellinsetter

Post by llewellinsetter » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:32 pm

i have been out 4 times already this year my 8 year old lil bro loves to fish i have 8 bass 3 pike and one cat already, its going to be a great year:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:43 pm

Hopefully get a early season pike trip in this year and a spring steelhead trip. Otherwise I like to fish the Minneapolis city lakes during the week days, but that may get more complicated now that I've got a dog!! I'd also really like to get a mid summer carp/smallmouth trip around the Green Bay area.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:40 pm

Going to try a get a summer trout fishing trip in. Used to go at least twice a year, but lately been busy. (dang dog :D ) Made friends with a guy on the forum that has an ocean going boat, so looking forward to some deep sea trips this year.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:31 pm

Just waxed her yesterday!

“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

Benny

Post by Benny » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:35 pm

Somebodies living the good life :)

Nice looking bass up top lewellinsetter.

I've dusted off the fly fishing gear and have recently been heading down to the river for some relaxation time. I've been out of the steelheading and salmon rigging days for a couple years now since I've moved east of the cascade crest. I'm starting to really love fly fishing again, but the snobs have only grown in numbers and acquired more overpriced gear...I was thinking it was a fad and they would go away :cry:
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:36 pm

San Clemente Island

Black Sea Bass

My buddy holding first of five Yellowtail of the day, at Santa Barbara Island.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

brad27

Post by brad27 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:04 pm

looks good. let me know when. :D

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:14 pm

Start praying for warm water to head north, so we don't have to head so far south. Like the new pic of Lucy, glad you finally let her out of her crate!
- Mark Twain-

brad27

Post by brad27 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:17 pm

Garrison wrote:Start praying for warm water to head north, so we don't have to head so far south. Like the new pic of Lucy, glad you finally let her out of her crate!
Hey, come on now. Lucy sleeps on my bed a few nights a week. :lol:

Warm water won't git here till june. But, until then, sand/calico bass? What about those cod you were talking about?

C.painter

Post by C.painter » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:01 am

Yep! Chase a lot of muskies around the north woods of WI, MN and canada when I can!!
Got this one on the 7th cast of the trip to canada :-) Rather be lucky then good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:37 pm

the ice isnt safe enough for ice fishing anymore this year. which is my favorite way to fish had a good winter lots of nice walleyes for the fry pan and a 41.25" northern pike though a 9" hole that was fun. the only thing that stops me from fishing on the weekends is hunting, and with the new pup we will be hunting this fall :D

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:25 am

I enjoy ice fishing the most. Photo was taken with me looking directly into the sun, looks like I have to pinch a loaf. Any who, we were watching this guy on the Fish TV for quite some time. His nose was a couple inches from my minnow but wouldn’t take it, he just hovered in front of it. He eventually swam out view of the screen/camera. We continued watching the TV and about a minute later he came from nowhere and slammed my lure…it was AWESOME. Not sure what he weighed but it was a fun fight on the ultra-light gear we were using. The Fish TV’s are sure fun, and , at the same time can be very frustrating.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:55 am

Saltwater!

Angus

Post by Angus » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:49 pm

Great pics everybody. My blood is boiling with fishing fever. :lol:

When we had a camp on the Allegheny River when I was younger I used to catch Tiger Musky all the time. the largest was 60+ inches. I had no camera along, but all of the campers on the island saw me catch it. My father yelled back to me to put it back. We didn't have the money to mount it and I was 14yo with no job. I really miss that place.

Heading to the Outer Banks in August. My grandparents have lived there for over 30 years, but passed away recently. We still have our family reunions there and we know all of the "spots". I am excited this time around because my daughter will be almost 4yo. I can take her crabbing with the rest of the families kids and she will actually remember it. :P

Angus

Post by Angus » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:50 pm

rkappes wrote:I enjoy ice fishing the most. Photo was taken with me looking directly into the sun, looks like I have to pinch a loaf. Any who, we were watching this guy on the Fish TV for quite some time. His nose was a couple inches from my minnow but wouldn’t take it, he just hovered in front of it. He eventually swam out view of the screen/camera. We continued watching the TV and about a minute later he came from nowhere and slammed my lure…it was AWESOME. Not sure what he weighed but it was a fun fight on the ultra-light gear we were using. The Fish TV’s are sure fun, and , at the same time can be very frustrating.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

That's a heck of a bass to catch on the ice. :D

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:29 am

Angus wrote:Anyone gonna do some fishing during the warm months? I'm gonna try to get my 3yo daughter out bunch this year. We've tried a couple times, but she doesn't have the patients yet, and hasn't caught anythign yet. If she can hook into some sunnies or trout she might enjoy it a little more.

I'm gonna try the local lakes and maybe the river to get some Walleye. I'd like to have a bunch for a big fish fry this summer for family and friends. Couple nice lakes close by that are not known for their walleye, but do have some in them.

Try some livebait to keep her interested. Crickets on a aberdeen hook with a splitshot or two. Around the docks is a great way to get them catching. Live fathead minnows on a octopus hook under a bobber always produces. I have seen my kids start catching and they really don't care about what they caught they just know they caught a "big fish"! Even though to us it may be a lowly bluegill or bream. Even the worms, minnows, crickets become entertaining playthings for kids at that age.

dxthunter86

Post by dxthunter86 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:45 pm

About to go out now and do some trout fishing. I absolutely love this time of year. I gotta take advantage of the time I have because in two weeks I add a new member to the family(the gsp in my avatar).

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:08 pm

Yeah, striped bass, fluke and maybe a trip to the Canyon for tuna and swords. I almost always pass on blue fish.

Also lots of crabbing and one or two outings for clams

I can be striper fishing in 15 minutes

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:51 pm

mcbosco wrote:Yeah, striped bass, fluke and maybe a trip to the Canyon for tuna and swords. I almost always pass on blue fish.

A trip to the canyons, as in only one? :wink: Bluefish are fun catching until your arm gets tired.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:38 am

crazyboy wrote:
mcbosco wrote:Yeah, striped bass, fluke and maybe a trip to the Canyon for tuna and swords. I almost always pass on blue fish.

A trip to the canyons, as in only one? :wink: Bluefish are fun catching until your arm gets tired.
Yes just one, we make it an overnighter. It is such an adventure usually that one is enough. Being so far offshore, 90 miles, in the middle of night is a real rush.

Bluefish are fun but I really can't stomach those buggers and I seem to get tired of them.

I never get tired of Striper fishing and its a quick trip.

JakeDD

Post by JakeDD » Tue May 01, 2012 3:48 pm

On hot summer nights in MN, we like to work hard for our fish...well, maybe not too hard.
Lighted slip-bobbers and a couple beers make night fishing a relaxing outing.
BlueMoonSlipBob.jpg
An average walleye from my favorite "hump" on the lake.
BlueMoonSlipBobWalleye.jpg

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Tue May 01, 2012 9:42 pm

Flyfishing is my thing start the girls this summer, but this weekend Turkeys will die and the girls will tag along.

But fishing with my girls is the best!

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

Susie

Post by Susie » Thu May 03, 2012 9:11 am

Do some local fishing for Walleye but really look forward to our yearly trips to Alaska...

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:57 am

Been out on a trip or two and filled the freezer a little bit.