anyone raise wood ducks?

gotpointers

anyone raise wood ducks?

Post by gotpointers » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:45 pm

I have been looking for some wood duck eggs if anyone happens to "come across" some in their pen of ducks. I have tried ebay eggs and i always end up paying too much for infertile or old eggs. Please pm. Thanks

sniperjon

Re: anyone raise wood ducks?

Post by sniperjon » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:48 am

I did wood ducks but I went and set up nesting box's in my swamp and took the eggs from the nest two weeks after lay. It's not easy to find people with good eggs. Most of the time ordered and shiped duck eggs get dry on the way to you.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:13 pm

It's against the law where i live.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:12 am

I think its illegal to collect wild eggs in all states without a scientific reaserch and collection permit. But pen raised legally owned woodies eggs can be collected. I have shipped in live pairs but its a hassle and expensive. Eggs are not regulated for importation but.live birds are. i just need to close band or toe clip ducklings to prove they are captive born not wild caught.
Also on collection if any one happes to find an egg in their pen. They must be collected right after laying. Any eggs that have been set upon will start their growing process and will result in death.of.the embryo if cooled much below the 99.5 for an extended time. Eggs that have not started the growing process can be held at 60 to 70 f for up to 14 days before incubation. However fertility goes down greatly after 10 days. Water sprinkled occasionaly on the waterfoul eggs is thought to mimic the wet parent returning to sit and does have a lot of believers in this practice. I have been hatching and rearing rare exotic pheasants for many years and i can take good care of any eggs you may be able to collect.
thanks