toyota tacoma (05-09) safety recall....

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

toyota tacoma (05-09) safety recall....

Post by ultracarry » Tue May 08, 2012 11:28 pm

So I have been driving around for a few thousand miles with an airbag light in... Didn't want to spend 150.00 to have them tell me that I need to spend another couple hundred to fix it. So I got a letter in the mail for a recall involving the airbag system/wiring harness. SCORE!!!! I guess I will have the throttle override recall done when I take it in :D

http://pressroom.toyota.com/safety-recall/

Btw posted in case someone has a used Toyota and doesn't get the recall info in the mail.

phoneman45

Re: toyota tacoma (05-09) safety recall....

Post by phoneman45 » Sun May 13, 2012 8:36 pm

ultracarry,

I have recieved a few recall notices concerning the accelerator for my 06 Tacoma, I got another notice in the mail the other day but never opened it. Is there a new recall out now? Guess I better open it up and read it.

phoneman

deke

Post by deke » Mon May 14, 2012 3:17 pm

thats what you get for driving a toyota.

phoneman45

Post by phoneman45 » Mon May 14, 2012 10:14 pm

Deke,

Have always been a GM man but bought a Tacoma a couple of years ago, cant complain about 30+ miles to the gallon. Also thought I would put the Toyota longevity reputation to the test as well.

phoneman45

deke

Post by deke » Tue May 15, 2012 9:54 am

im getting 26 mpg in my duramax on average.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue May 15, 2012 3:12 pm

Kind of surprising no one has posted how poor the company is, how poor their Quality Control is, or that they would never buy a Toyota because they have such a lousy record.

I think they are still ranked as the best of the best or close to it.

Guess it is what is important, your dogs feed or just your families safety that makes the difference.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue May 15, 2012 3:58 pm

Missed the post... Yes it is a new recall.

I was throwing the accelerator one away too. Removed the floor mats and didn't think twice (put liners in). The accelerator recall turned into a "override" component installation.

The new one is because the driver airbag harness is chafing and causing the light to come on.

Realistically I don't care about the airbag but will do it to make the darn red light come off of my dash. I have an 07 with 154,000 on it so far (lasted twice as long as my Ford did). Service department said they wouldn't be surprised to see 300k on it without any problems. Even better is its worth more than a comparable Chevy or Ford is with half as many miles And assembled in America. :P

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue May 15, 2012 4:01 pm

I am still driving a '99 Chevy Silverado that I bought new. I have probably received a dozen or so recalls over the years. I may be wrong but I don't think there are many companies that have not had recalls of some sort. There was a time when there was no such thing and I am glad there is a process in place now days to correct a problem that slipped through when it left the original place of manufacture.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue May 15, 2012 4:44 pm

birddogger wrote:I am still driving a '99 Chevy Silverado that I bought new. I have probably received a dozen or so recalls over the years. I may be wrong but I don't think there are many companies that have not had recalls of some sort. There was a time when there was no such thing and I am glad there is a process in place now days to correct a problem that slipped through when it left the original place of manufacture.

Charlie
I agree but can't get over the difference in attitude between the two occurances. Think in both cases we are talking about one of the best.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue May 15, 2012 7:15 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
birddogger wrote:I am still driving a '99 Chevy Silverado that I bought new. I have probably received a dozen or so recalls over the years. I may be wrong but I don't think there are many companies that have not had recalls of some sort. There was a time when there was no such thing and I am glad there is a process in place now days to correct a problem that slipped through when it left the original place of manufacture.

Charlie
I agree but can't get over the difference in attitude between the two occurances. Think in both cases we are talking about one of the best.

Ezzy
Same here.

Charlie

phoneman45

Post by phoneman45 » Tue May 15, 2012 10:03 pm

looks like I need to call my local dealership to schedule an appt. I guess all vehicles have something go wrong sooner or later.GM is excellent but will nickel and dime you to death. I priced a new Silverado two years ago, extended cab 4 whl drive 37k$. I didnt want that much of a payment each month.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Tue May 15, 2012 11:54 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Kind of surprising no one has posted how poor the company is, how poor their Quality Control is, or that they would never buy a Toyota because they have such a lousy record.

Guess it is what is important, your dogs feed or just your families safety that makes the difference.

Ezzy
i am from old school,NO TOYOTA FOR ME ONLY CHEVY. :D
i am proud to ride in it.
cant stand those foreign trucks.

everyone looks at mY CHEVY COLORADO
i guess its just way we were raised, dad would never buy those vehicles, it had to be chevy/ford/dodge..middle class in my area still feel same way.
kids today say 20to 40 buy the TOYOTAS but they dont know what its like to be a CHEVY MAN . :wink:

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Tue May 15, 2012 11:57 pm

phoneman45 wrote:looks like I need to call my local dealership to schedule an appt. I guess all vehicles have something go wrong sooner or later.GM is excellent but will nickel and dime you to death. I priced a new Silverado two years ago, extended cab 4 whl drive 37k$. I didnt want that much of a payment each month.

you are right. we sell CHEVYS and they are TOO EXPENSIVE.so are full sized foreign trucks too.
i seen some come in that were 50,000 dollars.

Vision

Post by Vision » Thu May 17, 2012 7:26 am

JIM K wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:Kind of surprising no one has posted how poor the company is, how poor their Quality Control is, or that they would never buy a Toyota because they have such a lousy record.

Ezzy

I can't stand ignorant Americans that buy the myth of made in America when there is nothing produced in this country that does not have most of the components built elsewhere, just like those foreign trucks built in Indiana and Tennessee.

phoneman45

Post by phoneman45 » Thu May 17, 2012 10:00 pm

be careful chevy owners, I have heard that the smaller chevy's (colorado and S-10) engines are built in Japan or are built of mainly Japanese components. Not sure if its true though, time to Google it I guess.

phoneman

brad27

Post by brad27 » Thu May 17, 2012 10:47 pm

I like the fact that I'm an American and I can spend my money however I choose.

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Thu May 17, 2012 11:04 pm

I think I saw that the Colorado is made in Thailand, not 100% sure though. Japan would have been an upgrade.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Fri May 18, 2012 8:17 am

jarbo03 wrote:I think I saw that the Colorado is made in Thailand, not 100% sure though. Japan would have been an upgrade.
Not sure what the difference is between made and manufactured, but I saw that it's manufactured in Thailand, but is still considered American made. I will never trust a large corporation to be loyal to its country. Their only loyalties are to their shareholders. That's why Chevy is considering shutting down their Louisiana mid-size truck plant and expanding the Thailand one. Sounds about as patriotic as buying a Toyota...

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Fri May 18, 2012 8:43 am

If it weren't for the UAW they could prob keep the plants open. Since there are no loyalties left, I will choose the better vehicle, Toyota would be my choice. Sure hope one day the Big 3 get back on track. A few years back when Ford bought out a bunch of pensions, the money they saved they used to buy technology from Toyota, that helped them a lot.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Fri May 18, 2012 10:05 am

I test drove a Chevy and Ford in 2007 and wanted to spend my money on American made... Chevy was more expensive, uncomfortable, and I didn't know if the company would stay in business...

Ford f-150 was so uncomfortable that you can't sit all the way back with your head against the headrest or your neck will cramp up. Then the stupid thing can't get out of its own way when you floor it. They needed to conserve fuel so badly it took 4 seconds for it to accelerate... That's the difference between life and death when a big rig doesn't see you and is pushing you off the road... Two years later we gave it another shot and went to test drive Ford for a wife care, mustang... They had to jump every car on the lot. No thanks! Still horible fuel response.

Toyota has a good resale value, good customer service, reliable cars, and great reputation...the vehicles are far superior to those "American" vehicles.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Fri May 18, 2012 10:55 am

JIM K wrote:

everyone looks at mY CHEVY COLORADO
i guess its just way we were raised, dad would never buy those vehicles, it had to be chevy/ford/dodge..middle class in my area still feel same way.
kids today say 20to 40 buy the TOYOTAS but they dont know what its like to be a CHEVY MAN . :wink:
I once had the same beliefs as you, but the thing is when I was young American cars were made in America with American parts, now the two most "American built" cars are the Toyota Camry and the Honda Accord. There is a reason the Chevy went belly up, they built crap for over the last 15 years, the CEO for GM basicly said the same thing. If you want to follow you dads beliefs buy a Tundra the most "American made" truck.
For me I went with a F150 because I could get a full sized truck for the same price as a compact Toyota truck and I drive them till the wheel fall off so resale isn't considered, the wife drives a Camry great car and will be traded eventually, great car (made in the USA).

phoneman45

Post by phoneman45 » Fri May 18, 2012 9:31 pm

aahhhh. GM memories. My first car, a 73 Delta 88, 207k miles, my next one a 79 Delta 88 190k miles, then my 3rd car, a 83 Impala, when I bought it the odometer had broken at 134k, I drove it for 8 years, I have no idea how many miles I drove it. My point, GM was great back in the day but I have my doubts that the quality is the same. I have seriously thought about locating an old 70s model Chevy pickup that is in good shape and restore it from the frame to the top of the cab as my next truck. My Tacoma is a good little truck but I am like a lot of you on here, American. Maybe it is time to start looking.....

eric

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri May 18, 2012 10:25 pm

phoneman45 wrote:aahhhh. GM memories. My first car, a 73 Delta 88, 207k miles, my next one a 79 Delta 88 190k miles, then my 3rd car, a 83 Impala, when I bought it the odometer had broken at 134k, I drove it for 8 years, I have no idea how many miles I drove it. My point, GM was great back in the day but I have my doubts that the quality is the same. I have seriously thought about locating an old 70s model Chevy pickup that is in good shape and restore it from the frame to the top of the cab as my next truck. My Tacoma is a good little truck but I am like a lot of you on here, American. Maybe it is time to start looking.....

eric
That is interesting, I never knew of anybody getting that kind of mileage out of any of the big three back then. I know I didn't. In fact, the ones I had during that period [Chevy, Ford and Dodge] were all pretty much junk compared to the ones today. Of course the price tag is about 10 times what it was back then too. On a side note, my wife drives a Toyota Camry and if I could afford a new truck, I would sure give the Tacoma serious consideration.

Charlie

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sat May 19, 2012 9:10 pm

i never had trouble with CHEVY like some of you have.i still buy them, i have 2009 colorado and love it.
so do people that see it.
driving toyota does not turn heads, drive CHEVY and it does.

i could care less if toyota is better built than chevy which i dont feel it is.
to me owning a toyota is not something i feel good about driving.
HEY ,HERE COMES TOYOTA :lol: thats way i feel about them.

when i put my dog, gun, family and my union hat and step into my CHEVY, i feel like a MAN.
:)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat May 19, 2012 9:21 pm

Never had a vehicle that could change how I felt. Have had some that were dependable and some that weren't. And it didn't seem to make much difference what the brand was.

Ezzy

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sat May 19, 2012 9:30 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Never had a vehicle that could change how I felt. Have had some that were dependable and some that weren't. And it didn't seem to make much difference what the brand was.

Ezzy

dont know how old you are but at 12 in early 60s, IT WAS SOMETHING TO BE IN CHEVY.
elvis and vietnam,middle class hard working union ,man that was something.

sitting at gas station to midnight listening to radio with girl friends and sitting on tailgate of CHEVY. 8)

that was LIVING. sitting on tailgate of TOYOTA has no memories for me ,it just reminds me of japan in ww11. :roll:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat May 19, 2012 9:37 pm

sitting at gas station to midnight listening to radio with girl friends and sitting on tailgate of CHEVY.
Too old for this . We could find better things to do and better places to do them than sitting on the tailgate of any truck.

Ezzy

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Sat May 19, 2012 9:43 pm

JIM K wrote:i never had trouble with CHEVY like some of you have.i still buy them, i have 2009 colorado and love it.

when i put my dog, gun, family and my union hat and step into my CHEVY, i feel like a MAN.
That is the kind of house I grew up in, Chevy all the way. My father is a mechanic, owned a shop for many years, finally sold it and went to work for someone else as he is winding down and getting long in the years. After doing this for 40 years, a Chevy is now one of the last vehicles he would buy, they can't compare to his 4-Runner. My grandpa who was in WWII and retired a from the union was the same way until a few years ago, he found a good deal on a Camry, he now knows what he was missing out on all those years, now he is wanting a Highlander.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sat May 19, 2012 10:07 pm

jarbo03 wrote:
JIM K wrote:i never had trouble with CHEVY like some of you have.i still buy them, i have 2009 colorado and love it.

That is the kind of house I grew up in, Chevy all the way. My father is a mechanic, owned a shop for many years, finally sold it and went to work for someone else as he is winding down and getting long in the years. After doing this for 40 years, a Chevy is now one of the last vehicles he would buy, they can't compare to his 4-Runner. My grandpa who was in WWII and retired a from the union was the same way until a few years ago, he found a good deal on a Camry, he now knows what he was missing out on all those years, now he is wanting a Highlander.

WE ALSO run garage here too and comparing them, i cant understand it.
all my vehicles were NORMAL. average repairs.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat May 19, 2012 10:14 pm

JIM K wrote: when i put my dog, gun, family and my union hat and step into my CHEVY, i feel like a MAN.
If you need to do that to feel like a man.... Wow. I can't imagine the identity crisis you must be going through.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sun May 20, 2012 10:17 am

To each their own, boys.

My '01 Tacoma was assembled in Kentucky and purchased new in Denver at John Elway Toyota.

135K and she keeps on rolling with nary a hiccup. This is my third Toyota in my lifetime. I know what to expect and have never, ever been let down.

Can't say the same about a few other makes we've owned

klewis

Post by klewis » Sun May 20, 2012 12:50 pm

tacoma was never assembled in ky. it was cali. mexico or japan.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sun May 20, 2012 2:06 pm

klewis wrote:tacoma was never assembled in ky. it was cali. mexico or japan.
Ah..don't know why I thought it was...

klewis

Post by klewis » Sun May 20, 2012 6:44 pm

reason i knew it wasnt made in ky. i worked there untill i retired 3 years ago

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sun May 20, 2012 7:04 pm

klewis wrote:reason i knew it wasnt made in ky. i worked there untill i retired 3 years ago
Hey congrats on your retirement. Hope that gives you plenty of time to work with that pup of yours. I should be retired within the year myself, and can't wait (till I pick up the pup that comes with retirement!!)

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Mon May 21, 2012 2:22 pm

klewis wrote:tacoma was never assembled in ky. it was cali. mexico or japan.
:lol:

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Mon May 21, 2012 2:23 pm

ultracarry wrote:
JIM K wrote: when i put my dog, gun, family and my union hat and step into my CHEVY, i feel like a MAN.
If you need to do that to feel like a man.... Wow. I can't imagine the identity crisis you must be going through.

:P

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Mon May 21, 2012 2:24 pm

AzDoggin wrote:
klewis wrote:reason i knew it wasnt made in ky. i worked there untill i retired 3 years ago
Hey congrats on your retirement. Hope that gives you plenty of time to work with that pup of yours. I should be retired within the year myself, and can't wait (till I pick up the pup that comes with retirement!!)
me too. i get my new pup in june :D

klewis

Post by klewis » Mon May 21, 2012 3:53 pm

i should allso be picking up a pup in june.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Tue May 22, 2012 9:56 am

let me get off track a LITTLE. in 69 HONDA motorcycles were big thing. i raced HONDA dirt bikes which they only had 1 . it was a 360.
it was 4cycle, not good for racing. so i went with SUZUKI.2cycle.

back then you heard NOTHING about a harley.

to this day i love a HONDA.
i have 3 ,my latest is HONDA 1100 SHADOW SPIRIT.
but when i ride many turn their noses at me. I AM NOT AMERICAN IF I DONT RIDE A HARLEY. :?
but they dont understand that it was my childhood,growing up with a chevy or ford or chrysler was great thing.
also having a HONDA was too.it was only dirt bikes available at time was japan bikes.some british bikes.you never saw HARLEY.
now HArley IS ALL IT. honda is not .

so times change and its what you have MEMORIES OF THAT COUNTS,NOT WHERE BIKE WAS BUILT.
for me to own a TOYOTA is not something i would not feel good in driving. :|

pointshootretrieve

Post by pointshootretrieve » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:33 am

This thread made me laugh. Being in a family who sold new GM cars and trucks for nearly 50 yrs growing up I didn't even consider any other vehicle. Tried out a few Fords eventually and other than front ends, ball joints, etc had pretty good luck with them. Finally tried out my first Toyota and am sold! My 06 D-cab Tacoma has 130k on the original front end, we have replaced shocks, brakes and tires and changed the fluids. And did I mention I live 1/2 mile in on a gravel road. You guys with your GM's google cracked heads, case rub on transfer cases, and steering shaft issues. I just bought an 04 Chitty Z-71 extra cab with all the goodies and leather with under 100k for less than 4k because of the issues I just mentioned. Try finding an 04 Tacoma 4x4 xcab for under 4k :lol: I can tell you one thing, it won't have any of the issues I mentioned with the GM truck. Fortunately I am very mechanically inclined as I can't imagine someone who can't or won't turn a wrench and owns one of these trucks would be so far upside down in this vehicle it wouldn't even be funny