Atv or Utv?

Ghosted3

Atv or Utv?

Post by Ghosted3 » Sun May 20, 2012 10:11 pm

Which seems to fit your hunting needs better, an Atv or an Utv? If you could, please drop a quick reason why.

Thanks
Corry

Thinking

Re: Atv or Utv?

Post by Thinking » Mon May 21, 2012 5:28 am

ATV, because in my part of the world ATVs can go on the road while UTVs can't. Also my ATV can get into places my buddies UTV can't.

codym

Post by codym » Mon May 21, 2012 8:12 pm

UTV, I have a two hole dog box for the back with top storage so I can take 4 dogs two people and all the gear I need and hunt all day. I had quads but for all around hunting and work my UTV is way more useful, I also had a back seat made so I can haul 6 people around, its a pretty fun machine.

terrym

Post by terrym » Mon May 21, 2012 8:40 pm

My use for my ATV is almost entirely big game. I run a 350 Yamaha Big Bear and can skid out whole moose no problem. The UTV is too tall due to the roll bars and they hang up constantly in trees, almost every bend in the trail. If you hunt open country away from the dense bush we have here then utv would be great. It all depend on your application.
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

JakeDD

Post by JakeDD » Tue May 22, 2012 10:26 am

Corry - I think it all depends on the type and style of hunting you do. If you're talking bird hunting, either style will do the job well. If you're talking big game too, it depends on the terrain and cover. As some have mentioned, ATVs are more nimble in the woods, but I have been absolutely amazed at what I've seen Polaris Rangers go through in the woods and swamps - never thought I'd see them go through the crap that they did. Also factor in what you will use the machine for in the off-season. I have a Ranger 800XP that I use for yard work (LOVE the dump box), dragging logs, and will be using as my plow vehicle this winter. An ATV will work too, but a UTV will be more comfortable and the added weight helps when plowing too.

TraditionsGSPs2010

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Tue May 22, 2012 10:41 am

I think all of the posts are spot on so far. I have and ATV and friends with a UTV. The ATV is nice when it is only me but the UTV is great when their are multiple people who will be riding along. For daily chores, the UTV is going to be a lot more handy because of the small dump bed. The ATV, even the utlity varieties, are more fun to horse around with!
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue May 22, 2012 11:00 am

I was always a fan of ATVs growing up because they were more fun to play on, and until recently UTVs were SSSLLLOOOWWW! But more and more I find myself looking at purchasing a UTV with family/farm/and hunting in mind.

I currently have one of the little suzuki mini trucks and it is great, but im slightly larger than the average american and its a bit crowded...

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Wed May 23, 2012 12:34 am

I am mostly looking at field work for upland birds and once in awhile duck hunting, so not really thick stuff. Maybe some snow plowing in the winter here and there. Thank you all for he info.

Corry

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Wed May 23, 2012 6:10 am

i have a yanaha rhino which its been great for me in my op its the best all around utv both sport and work there are better work utvs and there are better sport utvs but the rhino is the best of both worlds in my op i also have a snow plow on mine works great you can put a little bigger plow on a utv vs atv due to the weight. sometimes i wish i had both, but never when i was in the woods, only on early and late ice when i'm ice fishing because of the extra weight couple hundred pound heavry then a big atv. just my op :D

crappieguy

Post by crappieguy » Mon May 28, 2012 2:33 pm

I would like a UTV, but where we hunt up here any trails are very narrow to non-existant. Also, a lot of swampy country. I've travelled with UTV people on my Arctic Cat 700....I can leave my friends behind or they have to hop on with me. Utv friends spend a lot of hunting time getting winched out of soggy stuff. It would be easiwer to transport my dogs with a UTV but not practicable.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." Benjamin Franklin