parcord dog stuff?

jimbo&rooster

parcord dog stuff?

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:21 pm

So one of my neighbors, has been getting crazy making stuff out of para cord..... Bracelets, necklaces, horse reins, lanyards, a few dog collars, all kinds of stuff. He asked me to borrow my jagerlead as a pattern. My question is, is there any call for dog stuff made out of paracord? my interest is that each piece is about 1ft of paracord per inch of product. I was looking at his reins the other day thinking about how many times on the trail it would have been nice to have a little extra cord in a pinch.

in ya'lls experience do you think folks would buy this stuff for thier field dogs? He is wanting to start selling it and asked me what I thought.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Re: parcord dog stuff?

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:04 pm

If quality and unique are both present under a fair price, then someone will always buy it.
To me, paracord would absorb moisture and briers would work on it....perhaps his product would not present those issues.

I did try paracord for boot laces but one has to double knot them to stay tied....and briers do pluck at the stuff.
Good to throw a hank in the dog box tho.

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:56 pm

I had a guy to make me a lanyard and a couple of collars a few years ago. I've still got the lanyard and use it, but paracord for collars just doesn't work. Wet,dry,wet,dry a few times and it gets hard as a brick. I've seen some nice looking bird totes and some other stuff made from braided para cord though.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:03 pm

Look at survivorstraps.com They make and sell paracord bracelets. They also do dog stuff. I have a few of their products. They will tell you if you ever use the paracord send in a picture and what it was used for and they will replace the item for free. They have a wounded warriors line which the proceeds go to the wounded warrior program. It is my favorite of all charities to support.

joe

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:37 am

There are some really cool videos on youtube where guys are making paracord collars and it looks pretty easy if you have the patience which I do not. There are many different types of braiding techniques and if you decide to check it out look for the millipede style of braiding. One pull of the cord and the whole thing will unravel for immediate use. Much easier to disassemble if you actually need to use the cord for anything.

fireangel

Post by fireangel » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:58 am

A friend of mine has been making things with paracord also. He made me a whistle lanyard and it is really cool. He made it with flo. orange and black.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:28 pm

I've used paracord for making upland whistle and waterfowl call lanyards. I've found it real good for bird leg harnesses for attaching rubber hose to pigeons (Similar to carding) because it doesn't cut into the birds legs. I also use it for shoelaces on my field boots.