My "other job"...

Gertie

My "other job"...

Post by Gertie » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:50 pm

So my for my 'real job' I am a wildlife biologist but I put myself through college fighting fires in the summer and have managed to hang on to some of my fire qualifications so that in big years like this one, when the agency gets desperate and starts calling in the "B" team, I can go out and give a hand. Anyway, I've been running around to fires for the past three weeks and thought y'all might be interested in checking out a few pictures. I apologize in advance for the lack of big flames and running crown fires. Turns out that when I'm around that stuff I'm either too busy to take photos or in the process of running away :wink:

The "Jawbone Complex" in So. California

Sikzorsky "Sky Crane" dropping some retardant on a green patch near the line.

My co-worker took this one. If you look close you can see me on the rock to the left.

These are the structure protection engines headed out. Good reminder to clear out your brush once in a while.

Fires might be ugly but they sure make pretty sunrises.

The "Barry Point Fire" on the OR/CA border just before it came over the ridge and things got interesting.

A great gray owl I found within a patchy burn.

A couple of lab refugees I found in the fire area. They had collars with their address on it so I just loaded them up and took them home.

Anyway, it was great to get out there but it was real nice to come home and take a shower (I only had one in 16 days!) and sleep in a bed. My hat's off to the folks that do this dirty, dangerous work full time, year after year. Those guys and gals are just tough!
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

Bberry20

Re: My "other job"...

Post by Bberry20 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:31 am

Thank you for all you did and do. I know a lot of people have been affected by all the fires this year.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: My "other job"...

Post by DonF » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:23 am

What Holly say's about sunset's and fire's is right on. This was last year behind my barn. Fire was just over the hill.

I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!