High powered rifle questions.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:39 pm

I know very little about the hunting laws about the high powered rifles and restrictions for them when hunting. I do know that they are not allowed to hunt with in my home state of Illinois. My main question is I am looking at a .223 AR style semi auto rifle for both fun, and hunting. Can I take that boar and big game hunting, or are those limited to bolt action rifles? I would hate to purchase the AR and find out that I am not allowed to take it hunting . Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated, thank you! Lastly, if you do have an AR style 223, how does it compare to a conventional bolt action rifle for hunting?

Corry

gotpointers

Re: High powered rifle questions.

Post by gotpointers » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:03 am

It would have to be found in your states hunting proclamation. An ar is just the same as any other semi auto. Some states regulate capacity of detachable magazines. Also most ars are .223 cal and some states require a larger caliber for certain type animals.
As far as the gun itself there are so many configurations available it's easy to find one that fits your needs. If you.need it its avalible.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:28 am

223 is a great cartridge for varmints and critters, however, it is on the small side for deer sized game. Im sure that there are several people on here including myself who have shot deer sized game with a 223, but its not ideal. As far as pigs go, my understanding is that it doesnt take much to kill one, but again, my personal preferance would be for something a little bigger.

The AR platform is getting better every day, Lots of folks around here are using them to hunt coyotes, and I have a buddy that I Prarie Dog hunt with that has a sweetheart of an AR in .204. They are legal to hunt with as long as the cartridge of choise is legal. Like was previously mentioned, its just another semi auto.

As far as comparison, with a bolt gun, depending on your set up, and how much your willing to spend I have seen them that wouldnt shoot a pie plate sized group at 100yds, to guns that would put 3 rounds in a dime at 100yds. they go from mild to wild and dont take long to drop a ton of $$$$ into. All of the guys that I hunt with that shoot ARs at coyotes, are all reformed Bolt action guys. Personally Ill stickk with a good old bolt gun.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:48 am

Ghosted3 wrote:I know very little about the hunting laws about the high powered rifles and restrictions for them when hunting. I do know that they are not allowed to hunt with in my home state of Illinois. My main question is I am looking at a .223 AR style semi auto rifle for both fun, and hunting. Can I take that boar and big game hunting, or are those limited to bolt action rifles? I would hate to purchase the AR and find out that I am not allowed to take it hunting . Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated, thank you! Lastly, if you do have an AR style 223, how does it compare to a conventional bolt action rifle for hunting?

Corry
I'm confused, you said that you can't rifle hunt in Illinois but then go on to say you want an AR to hunt with?

seacowboy

Post by seacowboy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:26 am

You can get nearly all the same calibers in an AR platform as a bolt action. Some states do limit magazine capacity on rifles which is managed easily in an AR from 5, 10, 20 or even 30 round mags. A 223 can do the job on hogs and deer but shot placement must be perfect to ensure a humane kill and not wound animals to run off and not be found. Caliber in an AR platform that I would suggest for hogs, and deer would be the 6.5 Grendel, factory ammo is readily available, range is excellent and recoil is minimal. PM me if you want want some more info.

bigeyedfish

Post by bigeyedfish » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:42 am

In Missouri, they are perfectly legal but I think the magazine needs to hold 10 rounds or less. With the bullets available, a .223 is plenty for hogs and whitetails. Like always, shot placement is important. I wouldn't feel very good using it on anything bigger than a deer though.

Are there states that restrict what you can use to shoot a hog? I think you don't even need a license to kill them in Missouri.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:22 pm

ACooper wrote:
Ghosted3 wrote:I know very little about the hunting laws about the high powered rifles and restrictions for them when hunting. I do know that they are not allowed to hunt with in my home state of Illinois. My main question is I am looking at a .223 AR style semi auto rifle for both fun, and hunting. Can I take that boar and big game hunting, or are those limited to bolt action rifles? I would hate to purchase the AR and find out that I am not allowed to take it hunting . Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated, thank you! Lastly, if you do have an AR style 223, how does it compare to a conventional bolt action rifle for hunting?

Corry
I'm confused, you said that you can't rifle hunt in Illinois but then go on to say you want an AR to hunt with?
We can use them on Coyotes here but that is about it, no deer or anything like that, and of course target shooting ect.. I would just hate to wrap up 750$ on an AR style gun and then go somewhere with some friends to do a bigger game hunt like boars ect, and find out I cant use it. Thank you all for the feedback it is very much appreciated!

Corry

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:55 pm

Ghosted3 wrote:
ACooper wrote:

Corry
We can use them on Coyotes here but that is about it, no deer or anything like that, and of course target shooting ect.. I would just hate to wrap up 750$ on an AR style gun and then go somewhere with some friends to do a bigger game hunt like boars ect, and find out I cant use it. Thank you all for the feedback it is very much appreciated!

Corry
Okay I gotcha that makes perfect sense. have you considered maybe an AR10? Same gun only shoots 7.62/.308

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:50 pm

Right on Coop. Since the 223 is limited and you can't afford a bunch of guns go with the little bigger caliber.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:22 pm

Just one point that I would like to mention, the AR isn't like most other semi-autos in the fact that they can come with free floating barrels. An AR with a free floating barrel will give you about the equal accuracy as most bolt actions, the average semi-auto will not come close IMO.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:14 pm

nikegundog wrote:Just one point that I would like to mention, the AR isn't like most other semi-autos in the fact that they can come with free floating barrels. An AR with a free floating barrel will give you about the equal accuracy as most bolt actions, the average semi-auto will not come close IMO.

I think the comments about the AR being "just another semi auto" were mostly in refrence to legality. As far as the accuracy of the AR, I have several buddies who have ARs that will shoot sub minute of angle out to at least 400yds from the bench (a couple 308s, a 223 and a 243wssm.

I will say to the OP, if you are planning a budget of $750, you may consider a bolt gun over an AR. From what Ive seen, the Budget ARs are just that.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

TraditionsGSPs2010

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:52 pm

I would add that a .223 may not be big enough in some states for big game hunting. I thought I read at some point that the .223 round is not big enough to hunt deer with in MO which is why the .243 is so much more popular. I agree with some of those who pointed out that if you want an AR style rifle that the 7.62 may be a great choice and the that the accuracy of these rifles is pretty darn good.
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

bigeyedfish

Post by bigeyedfish » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:12 am

TraditionsGSPs2010 wrote:I thought I read at some point that the .223 round is not big enough to hunt deer with in MO which is why the .243 is so much more popular.
In MO all centerfire rounds with an expanding bullet are allowed.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:17 am

I think your just taken by the AR platform rifle. That it is in 223 doesn't help any. If you just think you like an auto loader, there are other choices in much better cartridges. I know the 22 centerfire's will work and so will the 243 dis cartridges, I would not recommend either especially for a person new the hunting and rifles. My own choice for a cartridge for new hunter's would be something on the 308 case, 260 Rem, 7mm-08 or 308. Low recoil and good bullet's. Best selection in bullet weight for a non-handloader would be the 7mm-08 and the 308. Both relatively low in recoil. All three will have bullet's much better at penetration than any 223. Use the wrong bullet in 223 and hit a deer in the shoulder and chances are you have a crippled deer. same shot with any of the other three and you have a dead deer. I'm not sure you can buy one of the other's loaded with a varmint bullet.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:38 pm

Thank you all tons for the feedback I have taken some time and read into some of the guns / caliber that have been mentioned so I have decided to do 2 things. 1) purchase an AR just to have fun with and hunt yotes around here to keep the population down. 2) get a Remington 770 center fire with the 7mm ultramag shells. I have read many great reviews about both the gun as well as the ammo, so I am pretty much sold on it. Again, thank you all for the info its much appreciated!

Corry

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:57 am

Ghosted3 wrote:Thank you all tons for the feedback I have taken some time and read into some of the guns / caliber that have been mentioned so I have decided to do 2 things. 1) purchase an AR just to have fun with and hunt yotes around here to keep the population down. 2) get a Remington 770 center fire with the 7mm ultramag shells. I have read many great reviews about both the gun as well as the ammo, so I am pretty much sold on it. Again, thank you all for the info its much appreciated!

Corry

One more thing to consider with the .270 mag, is cost of ammo. If cost of ammo is a non-issue then go for it. I have a .270 WSM and the standard .270. Both guns shoot well. I have not found either lacking when deer or hog hunting. But the standard .270 rounds are about 1/2 what the rounds are.

BTW you are making a good choice I think, the .223 AR is a blast and cheap to shoot, I really enjoy mine.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:22 am

ACooper wrote:
Ghosted3 wrote:Thank you all tons for the feedback I have taken some time and read into some of the guns / caliber that have been mentioned so I have decided to do 2 things. 1) purchase an AR just to have fun with and hunt yotes around here to keep the population down. 2) get a Remington 770 center fire with the 7mm ultramag shells. I have read many great reviews about both the gun as well as the ammo, so I am pretty much sold on it. Again, thank you all for the info its much appreciated!

Corry

One more thing to consider with the .270 mag, is cost of ammo. If cost of ammo is a non-issue then go for it. I have a .270 WSM and the standard .270. Both guns shoot well. I have not found either lacking when deer or hog hunting. But the standard .270 rounds are about 1/2 what the rounds are.

BTW you are making a good choice I think, the .223 AR is a blast and cheap to shoot, I really enjoy mine.[/quote

The ultramag is a great base to build on. There is not a lot.of factory loads available but save your empties from that 54.00 box of 20. Hand loads from screaming coyote rounds to the largest north American game. I had a 700 bel that I sold before I.realized what I had. From what I remember 4000 fps is obtainable. Flat and accurate as a 22-250 with certain loads and tuning.

On the ar. Be sure to get a varmit model. And stay away from a non flattop. Bull barreled and big scopes are what I had. They became extremely heavy for walking around.

Now a Thompson and a few barrels is what I use. A really good scope and a great trigger on a gun I am really used to has been better than laying down cover fire with a 30 round magazine. I do however miss the full auto trick with my trigger finger hooked in my pocket. Bump fire is a blast. :D

TraditionsGSPs2010

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:13 pm

bigeyedfish wrote:
TraditionsGSPs2010 wrote:I thought I read at some point that the .223 round is not big enough to hunt deer with in MO which is why the .243 is so much more popular.
In MO all centerfire rounds with an expanding bullet are allowed.
Thanks BEF. I should have looked it up first. It was the Colorado that has that rule for big game hunting:

1. CEN TERFIRE RIFLES
a. Must be minimum of .24 caliber (6 mm).
b. Must have a minimum 16-inch barrel and be at least 26 inches long.
c. If semiautomatic, they can hold a maximum of six rounds in the magazine
and chamber combined.
d. Must use expanding bullets that weigh minimum 70 grains for deer,
pronghorn and bear, 85 grains for elk and moose, and have an impact
energy (at 100 yards) of 1,000-ft. pounds as rated by manufacturer.
e. It is illegal to hunt game birds, small-game mammals or furbearers with a
centerfire rifle larger than .23 caliber during regular rifle deer and elk seasons
west of I-25, without an unfilled deer or elk license for the season. A
small-game, furbearer or unfilled big-game license is required.
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

pointshootretrieve

Post by pointshootretrieve » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:48 pm

Buy or build an AR in 6.8 SPC perfect cartridge for deer, hogs out too 300 yards.