Chris Kyle Killed

Neil
GDF Junkie

Chris Kyle Killed

Post by Neil » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:39 pm

The famed Seal sniper was shot in the back on Sat and killed. It is just sad! The coward that took this great multi decorated American from us is in custody. Details are still coming out.

Neil

jwnissen

Re: Chris Kyle Killed

Post by jwnissen » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:45 pm

The worst part is that the guy who shot him is an army vet who served in Iraq and Afghanistan and suffered from mental illness. It kills me as a fellow vet to know that someone like Chris Kyle did so much for our country and survived missions we don't even know about only to be shot at a gun range doing something he really loved in our OWN country.

John

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:47 pm

Truly a sad day in America. I was looking forward to working with Chris when I get back to Texas. WOW!

cstokes/southeast,ks

Post by cstokes/southeast,ks » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:46 pm

I may have missed it and I hope that I have, but I find it very disappointing that there has been no mentioning or honoring of Chris during the Superbowl.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:10 pm

I must have missed it, too.

CNN did do a good piece on him with due respect.

I hope he gets the coverage tomorrow he deserves.

He really wasn't a gun guy (it was just a tool he learned to use very well, according to his book) so I was surprised he was at a gun range, giving some credence to have been trying to help the guy that murdered him with PTSD.

It is just so unfair.

I do hope the anti-gun Libs do not besmirch his legacy with some nonsense about living by the gun and dying by the gun.

He was a true Patriot.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:59 am

I read that he had a book on American history through the story of several makes of firearms due out soon. I would suggest preordering if you are interested. It sounds fascinating.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:04 pm

Neil wrote: I do hope the anti-gun Libs do not besmirch his legacy with some nonsense about living by the gun and dying by the gun.
They took to Twitter according to this article
http://www.examiner.com/article/liberal ... chris-kyle

Chris & Chad were TRUE Heros and the world is a better place because of them.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:37 pm

How sick!

I am sorry I predicted it.I wish that they would have proven me wrong. I would like to think higher of my fellow Americans.

I honestly believe the Libs were thrilled by Sandy Hook, notice how quickly they got the complex bill to the floor? It was in their desk waiting for such an event. Their efforts have nothing to do with protecting our children. Palosy even said to the suggestion of armed security in our schools, she did not want to live in a country that turned our schools into fortresses. I bet she and her's have security.

And now they rejoice in the death of a true hero.

I am sad.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:21 pm

Ron Paul joined the sword thing. How could we elect people that callous?

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:36 pm

He survived 4 tours in Iraq, was shot twice and in 6 IED explosions and this is what he gets? Reminds me of Carlos Hathcock being discharged 6 months short of retirement because of the injuries he received were so bad he couldn't pass his physical fitness test. Or how about Marcus Lattrell who was the sole survivorof his SEAL team? Upon returning home some wanna be gang bangers shot and killed his lab puppy as initiation into the gang.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:56 pm

We never seem to honor warriors properly, they make the sisies nervious. We only want them around when we are threatened.

I am proud to say I shot with Sgt. Hathcock and saw him at some gun shows, he died in pain and in poverty. I know he didn't, but he always acted as though he remembered mw when he gracefully shock my hand.

You are right to compare these great heroes, they were so much more than their body counts, they were about the lives saved.

Kyle's charity is getting mentioned, perhaps others will contribute as I just did. It was not enough, but it does show respect.

RIP

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:13 pm

Google Col. Charles Beckwith and you can learn about another hero that we turned our backs to.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:35 pm

Thanks for the reminder, I knew the name but ashamed to admit I had forgotton many of the details of this great hero's contributions.

And it got me thinking about thousands whoes names we will never know. Those that wrote no books, just served with distinction, too many died doing so.

Notice there are only 3 or 4 of us on here that seem to care.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:16 pm

Neil,

You are so wrong if you think someone has to post on here to show they care. I care enough that I volunteered to give my life to protect this country just like Chris did. And there are how many thousands others that have done the same thing. And because Chris was more successful than most in the area he participated in does not make him any more a hero than any other that did their best with many of them giving their lives and never coming home. The young man that took my assignment to go over seas when they decided I had to stay in OK to be a flight instructor, and who on his first mission was the co-pilot on a B-50 that was shot down over the Sea of Japan and all were lost were just as much a hero as Chris and all of the others who gave their lives. At least Chris got to come home. It really isn't any more a tragedy that he was shot than if someone had shot you. No one deserves that and I don't separate out someone just because I heard of him before. Each of your lives are just as important as the other. It bothers me that he gave a gun to a mentally disturbed young man with out any type of restriction but I am sure he thought he had everything under control.

May he and the other individual who was helping rest in peace and may the rest of us that are still here and able work at getting the mentally disturbed the help they need before they kill someone.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:11 pm

I care and I'm Canadian. My Dad spent 6 years overseas and came home a shadow of himself. Anyone who serves their country in the military deserves to be cared about and honored.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:21 pm

EZZY- Did you ever actually look into the eyes of someone that you were about to kill out of your b-50 bomber? No! Did you come home and start a company to help others with their post combat stress only to have one of them kill you? No! Nobody tried to belittle ANY service members sacrifice. Instead we were expanding it to show other prominent members who've been done injustices. Did you actually read the posts?
Last edited by Brazosvalleyvizslas on Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:23 pm

I'm assuming you are not talking to me. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:28 pm

Check your PM Sharon. No it wasn't, I'm walking on eggs with you. Lol

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:02 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:EZZY- Did you ever actually look into the eyes of someone that you were about to kill out of your b-50 bomber? No! Did you come home and start a company to help others with their post combat stress only to have one of them kill you? No! Nobody tried to belittle ANY service members sacrifice. Instead we were expanding it to show other prominent members who've been done injustices. Did you actually read the posts?
I read the who;e thing and I have no problem with it till it was suggested those of us who didn't post didn't really care. I was never in a B-50 and didn't indicate I was but that has nothing to do with this post either. I have no idea who the we are that you refer to but I do know what is written here on a gun dog forum has absolutely nothing to do with how much any of us care. I also know that what anyone did to get his name in the paper does not make his life anymore important than someone else's life. I will ask the question and you can tell us what you would do if you, your wife, your son, and Chris were on a plane that lost its power and is going to crash and their is one parachute that will save whoever gets it. Tell us who you are going to give it to and why their life is more important than the rest of you?

And even though it is none of your business, my answer to your question is exactly what Chris said when asked, my only concern is saving the lives of anybody that the enemy was trying to kill. There probably are not more than a few hundred thousand who feel the same way and and did what they could to do just that. When people come back from the war I am not going to pick who was the better of them except for the ones who didn't come home. I will pray for all and the families of those who gave the most

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:11 pm

Maybe people live with the sacrifices they or their loved one made everyday. Maybe they come onto a GUN DOG forum to talk about gun dogs to get away from reality for just a few minutes each day and discuss something that brings them joy. So to say nobody cares I feel is a little uncalled for.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:55 pm

Ezzy and others,

I never meant to offend, certainly not belittle anyone's service in any way.

Please reread my post that offended, I said "seem to care" and previously I mentioned thousands of other unsung heroes. Better I said millions.

I do think those in the special forces invest a bit more in learning the craft of war, and are unique in many ways. Although if you read Kyle's book you would know he took pains to recognize the bravery and contribution of all he served with. I think he believed like you. Without a response it is kinda hard to know you all care.

I thank you all for your service.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:27 am

This was a thread started about one mans dedication to his country. I didn't see where it belittled any other service members contributions or sacrifices. It was specifically aimed in one direction but sadly over Moderated.
If anyone disagrees with the following statement, feel free to pm me! Chris Kyle is an American Hero who did what his country asked.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:10 am

There was not any Moderating on this thread. Not of you or anyone else. I was the only Moderator on here and I made two posts expressing my feelings. I have as much right to do that as you do. I didn't say a word till Neil commented that it appeared no one else cared and I commented about that That's when you decided to have your say and I answered you also. Two posts and neither were out of line. Neil apologized which he didn't have to as there were no hard feelings held by me at least. And you decided it would be smart to dig a hole a little deeper. There is a limit that will be allowed before there will be some Moderator action taken if that's the direction you prefer.

Ezzy

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:13 am

I do not ever want to be seen judging the value of anyone's service. I am thankful for all. We should be able to honor one without disrespecting others.

Since the Vietnam years I have given this a lot of thought. I have a good friend that was in the Marines. In the marching band, he laughs at himself. But he did as his country asked ever bit as much as Sgt. Hathcock.

Were it not for Quartermasters and others in logistics, communications, support, etc. we would never have won WW II.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:49 pm

Neil Some times you just do not know what to say or how or even if. We care. I for one did not know of the individual. My days don't even allow me to read the paper. Every time I see a person in their Military uniforms, I make a point to thank them and let them know, we care. Many in my family served, not me but I care. It saddens me to know that these Brave men and women may not come home or their lives will be changed forever. I care. It saddens me when a life is taken by a disturbed person or by an evil person. I care. It saddens me to know that some Mom or Father, Son or Daughter has lost there loved one. I care.

Sometimes you just care and keep to your self. We Care.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:28 pm

I certainly didn't intend to imply that people didn't care but I did understand where Neil was coming from. (I believe) me personally, it is upsetting to read some of the posts on places like Twitter where there are people actually rejoicing his death. Or atleast that's how it sounds. Having been through much of the same training as Chris and put into similar situations, I tend to associate better with those individuals but I would never look down on anyone who seves or even those who are supportive of those who serve. I remember coming back to camp after being in a hole for 6 weeks eating 1 MRE per day. When I saw the cooks I was in heaven. At Christmas the local Aramco employees bought enough T-Bones to feed 20,000 troops. I'm not talking crap steaks either, these were huge. I can't imagine how much that cost those people but many of them were even helping with the cooking.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:31 am

I hadn't heard of Chris before this happened. I bought his book last night. I'm a couple chapters in and am enjoying it so far.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:11 am

Fogive my Ignorance: What is the title of the book.
Thanks,
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Deuce

Chris Kyle Killed

Post by Deuce » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:36 am

I believe its called "American Sniper"

brad27

Post by brad27 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:40 am

Deuce wrote:I believe its called "American Sniper"
Yep

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:04 pm

brad27 wrote:
Yep
Available for Kindle for like $10.00.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:48 pm

Neil wrote:
brad27 wrote:
Yep
Available for Kindle for like $10.00.
Bought mine through ibooks on my iphone. same price.

cstokes/southeast,ks

Post by cstokes/southeast,ks » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:16 pm

It is a great book. Another great one is "Lone Survivor" about Marcus.

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:42 pm

There have been thousands of Chris kyles in the history of the U.S. military, not all of them come home and write books and such or come home at all. Most just want to live a peaceful life with no fanfare. I served with a Navy Cross recipient, you would never know this guy besides just another NCO in the infantry. I pray for Chris and his family, and as said earlier... Sometimes you just don't know what to say.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:38 pm

Snipers are known as what's called a "force multiplier". OnE sniper team can do more damage to the enemy and save more of his own troops than a whole platoon of infantry soldiers. Not only that but the psychological fear that they inflict is immeasurable. How many soldiers in the history of our wars had bounties put out on them? Only 2 that i know of. No other combatant in the history of our wars has done as much as Chris in terms of numbers.

Every man and woman who serves in a time of war has proven their bravery but Chris had an incredible skill set to go with that. 2100 yards? Show me thousands of troops who can pull that off and I will bow out. This thread is about Chris and in no way was meant to downgrade anyone else.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:44 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Snipers are known as what's called a "force multiplier". OnE sniper team can do more damage to the enemy and save more of his own troops than a whole platoon of infantry soldiers. Not only that but the psychological fear that they inflict is immeasurable. How many soldiers in the history of our wars had bounties put out on them? Only 2 that i know of. No other combatant in the history of our wars has done as much as Chris in terms of numbers.

Every man and woman who serves in a time of war has proven their bravery but Chris had an incredible skill set to go with that. 2100 yards? Show me thousands of troops who can pull that off and I will bow out. This thread is about Chris and in no way was meant to downgrade anyone else.
My experience was that we all were on the same team and we all had our jobs. Each was as important as the next one. Without the cooks there wouldn't have been any snipers, tank driveer, pilots or anyone else. And without any part of the team there wouldn't be any victories. Some jobs may have been placed in the spotlight such as the quarterback in football but they probably would all be in the hospital if it wasn't for the offensive line that protected him. A team is a team and most of us know that and we don't need anyone to tell people how good we were. Just enjoy the freedom the least of us provided for you and let it lay.

Ezzy

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:32 am

I must have misread The title of this thread? Nope, just looked and its "Chris Kyle Killed". It's not called who's job is more important. We should be allowed to speak of the subject without it lessening anyone else's role in our armed services. Heck even his commanding officer was on TV proclaiming the amount of impact Chris had on the battlefield. So back to the topic Cheis Kyle "The Devil of Ramadhi".

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:20 am

You read the title right and we all feel the same loss you do. But on top of that, I at least, feel just as bad for the young man that was killed standing next to him because his life was just as important as Chris Kyles was. He too, did his job, left a family behind, and from all accounts was trying just as hard as Chris to help another individual. The title is right on, but once you pointed out how much more inportant Chris' life was than the others involved or for any other person I tried to explain that a life is a life and because you had read someone's name in the paper it did not make his life more important than anyone elses.
OnE sniper team can do more damage to the enemy and save more of his own troops than a whole platoon of infantry soldiers.
There have been thousands of Chris kyles in the history of the U.S. military, not all of them come home and write books and such or come home at all. Most just want to live a peaceful life with no fanfare. I served with a Navy Cross recipient, you would never know this guy besides just another NCO in the infantry. I pray for Chris and his family, and as said earlier

Two quotes from two different people. Both are expressing sorrow for Chris. Which one expresses best how most of us feel? I don't know the answer, but I do know which expresses my thoughts best today, as well as when I was part of the team.

Ezzy

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:52 am

Mine was actually a quote from Chris's Commanding officer so I'll stand by mine. It was actually Chris's team members who called the Commander and said "you need to get down here and see what Chris is doing"! Even his own team recognized what was going on. Special Operation Forces work independently with little support. That's the whole concept. It's just a fact otherwise the millitary wouldn't have different levels of Awards. Some jobs are just more difficult and when a person shines at that level it should and does get recognized. So let's start a. Thread and we can all chime in on our Military experience and feel good about it but this one is about a specific person who achieved something that no other soldier has ever acomploshsd.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:40 am

How many of you would have known about this had he not recieved national attention from his book? I wouldn't have.

Its a sad day when ANYONE gets murdered.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:06 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Mine was actually a quote from Chris's Commanding officer so I'll stand by mine. It was actually Chris's team members who called the Commander and said "you need to get down here and see what Chris is doing"! Even his own team recognized what was going on. Special Operation Forces work independently with little support. That's the whole concept. It's just a fact otherwise the millitary wouldn't have different levels of Awards. Some jobs are just more difficult and when a person shines at that level it should and does get recognized. So let's start a. Thread and we can all chime in on our Military experience and feel good about it but this one is about a specific person who achieved something that no other soldier has ever acomploshsd.
You need to read his book.............

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:13 pm

I got his book at Christmas & read it in one day, but I had heard about Chris long before then. BTW all profits from the book go to charity he did not receive any.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:39 pm

I knew about Chris after his first tour, he never sought fame, he was doing a job, a job he did very well. You think they give out Silver Stars as participation awards? He wrote the book to honor those with which he served, there is not a brag in there. No self-grandizing.

We all want heroes, I have picked Kyle over movie actors, athletes and singers, and such.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:51 pm

Kyle was awarded 2 Silver stars, 5 Bronze medals, and 2 Purple Hearts.

Notice I did not say "won", it was not a lottery, he earned them.

Can we please get back on topic and honor this Great American Hero?

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:12 pm

Brad, I do need to read his book, have you read Marcus Luttrell's? Google Gary Gordon, Randy Shughart and Marc Lee. Then google 18Bravo and see why I defend Chris.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:41 pm

You read the title right and we all feel the same loss you do. But on top of that, I at least, feel just as bad for the young man that was killed standing next to him because his life was just as important as Chris Kyles was. He too, did his job, left a family behind, and from all accounts was trying just as hard as Chris to help another individual
I wondered if anybody was going to mention this because it is so very true. Also, I am sure there are many members on here that haven't posted on this thread who care very deeply. I don't believe any offense was intended but I was a little taken back when I read that there were just a few on here who care, apparently because I, along with others had not posted on this thread.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:55 pm

birddogger wrote:
You read the title right and we all feel the same loss you do. But on top of that, I at least, feel just as bad for the young man that was killed standing next to him because his life was just as important as Chris Kyles was. He too, did his job, left a family behind, and from all accounts was trying just as hard as Chris to help another individual
I wondered if anybody was going to mention this because it is so very true. Also, I am sure there are many members on here that haven't posted on this thread who care very deeply. I don't believe any offense was intended but I was a little taken back when I read that there were just a few on here who care, apparently because I, along with others had not posted on this thread.

Charlie
Amen I never found it necessary to be a cheerleader, a name dropper, or any other public activity to mourn or to care. Been too close to too many to want to do that. I think it was good that Neil made note of it but from there ....................

Ezzy

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:24 pm

Ok so let's get this thread back on topic. Chris Kyle wrote the first manual on sniping for the Navy Seals.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:54 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Ok so let's get this thread back on topic. Chris Kyle wrote the first manual on sniping for the Navy Seals.
And freely admitted he stood on the shoulders of those that came before him. He was a modest man.

I, of course, have not read the manual, but I am told it has extensive information on the sniper in urban settings, tactics often overlooked except for police snipers.

Interestingly, he as not a fan of the Barrett 50 cal, preferring the anti-personnel capabilities of the. 300 Win Mag and the. 338 mag. For me I found the. 30-.338 better at long range than either, and I believe it no longer must be handloaded. But you cannot argue with his success, I suspect he would have used whatever worked best for his applications. I have also read some about the. 338 Laupa and something in like a. 416, but know nothing of their real world performance.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:15 pm

Routh's own parents warned against letting their own son be released from psychiatric care. Chris knew this and that's why he wanted Chad with him. I'm sad to say it but that isn't in any book. EZZY, let this one RiP.