Truck Topper...Pros n Cons

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Truck Topper...Pros n Cons

Post by PntrRookie » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:18 am

I may be getting a "New-to-Me" truck. I am debating on whether or not to put a topper on it. I run 2-3 dogs and plan on getting a 3 hole dog box for the back (and tow a horse trailer 2-3x a year).

If I do go with a topper, which one and why. When it comes to having one what do you like or dislike about your topper...ARE, Leer, Lakeland, etc.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Re: Truck Topper...Pros n Cons

Post by Neil » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:13 am

Depends on the age of your knees. My days of crawling anywhere are behind me.

All of the top toppers you mentioned are good, but pricey.

They do make a slide out that would solve my issue, but total cost would be near 5 grand.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:41 am

My shortbed truck has an ARE topper with a flip-up window in back, side sliders with screens, and a drop-down in front. The cab rear window doesn't open. The topper works fairly well. A couple things I don't like - when it's raining in warm weather, the choice is to let the inside get wet but ventilated, or to be dry and likely too warm; and if I had it to do over, I'd get a cap with a side-swing rear door that would eliminate the dropped tailgate to access the inside. I need a step stool and one of those grabber thingies to reach in there, and it's a pain and inconvenience.

Edited to add that the cap is lined with a carpet-y plushy stuff and it helps as insulation for heat, cold, and noise. I also installed a Bedrug brand liner in the truckbed . The bedrug is great for padding when crawling around in there and is totally hose-downable if it needs cleaning.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:04 am

Pros
Liked having everything in it's place
Liked being able to take all the dogs to the vet at the same time (we get a bulk discount)
Could fit 3 dogs, all of our gear (guns, training collars, whistles, belts, chaps, stake outs for dogs & horses, 10 gallons of water for dogs and 2 bale of hay in the bed of the truck (short bed) so that the hay got to our destination dry and once horses were unloaded, we could put the bales in the trailer.

Cons
The toppers are heavy, require at least 2 people to remove, so using your truck as a truck can be a pain.
No visibility

Yup, step stool was necessary to get in and out. Yup, hard on your knees. We bought those foam mats that go together like a puzzle that people use in playrooms and workshops, and attached to the tailgate and bed. They worked great and could be hosed off.

I think ours was an A.R.E. We bought it used for $150 and paid an autobody place $300 to match it to the truck....not sure I'd go through the trouble of having it painted again, if I got a do-over.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

JakeDD

Post by JakeDD » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:26 am

Pretty sure I've shared this pic before, but a few key "must-have" features I've settled on after owning a few toppers:

1. Opening side windows WITH VENTS
2. Front slider window, preferable that drops open for cleaning
3. Good lighting - LED preferred

The great thing about toppers is you can keep your dogs and gear dry and piled deep without losing it going down the road like you would without one. I also use mine for hauling dogs all winter long and throw a blanket over their kennels to keep them warm - this works well. The biggest downsides to toppers are loss of vision out the back and airflow in the summer heat, which is why the side vents and front slider a musts for me. I always keep a wireless thermometer in back with the readout in the cab so I know how the dogs are doing. I've started filling 2liter bottles about 2/3 full and freezing them in the summer then throw them in the dog box with the dogs to help keep them cool.

BTW, I rarely ever have to climb in to get stuff since I use the side windows to reach in for things.

As for lighting, I've spent way too much time screwing around in the dark trying to find stuff in my toppers before, so finding good LED options that you can wire direct with a toggle switch is a great benefit.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:40 am

A.R.E. on a Tacoma shortbed.
After 7 years, the latch went bad....soon replaced.
I prefer a single latch rather than two.
Side windows only matter depending upon the set-up inside...I do not find a need as I set two RuffToughs on a storage platform.
I would never avoid a tailgate but I expect some topper inserts can be purchased with varying configurations....simple topper, for me.
Aftermarket lighting is a sound idea.
I have checked CO and found it less than in the Tacoma's back seat in traffic...still, watch around idiling vehicles.
Heat can be an issue in a non-moving vehicle....and dust can be an issue over time as well.
I would prefer more open grates, say 1" mesh, than the window screens....screens are a waste.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:52 am

I really liked our truck with topper. Unfortunately that truck got delegated for work duty, so now I work out of a small jeep and a small dog trailer. I do get double the mileage, but have a lot less space and organization to work with. Anyway, here's the video of the drawers we made for truck and topper. I just about never had to climb in the back of the truck. The kennel doors were accesible from the side windows. The one that was farther in, since the doors weren't changeable to an opposite swing, was opened with a small rod with a hook on it. Anyway,here's a video we made a while back. Beside the storage in front of the wells, there was also storage behind. On the right rear wheel well, we had a water tank, that you get a glimpse of when the drawers were open in the video. It was something like 10" PVC tubing with 2 ends caps, a valve, and small hose to pull out to fill water bottles, bowls and such. If it rained, we had short bungees to pull the windows down 1/2 way, so the rainwater didn't get funneled inside. We also had some fans that clipped into the windows to blow across the dogs. There are so many ways you could customize your own outfit to fit your needs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTngUxwsZSM

"Munster" and I hunt together, and she had a basic 2 drawer box made. She puts her vari-kennels sideways, and we get 3 of them in, and all doors are accessible from the opposite window...and the dogs have about a 12"+ walkway in front of the crates, to get in and out.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:40 pm

I have had a couple of toppers over the years. When I waterfowl hunted I REALLY liked having the topper. However, I use my truck here on the farm alot, hauling hay, and a gooseneck trailer, so it is not real practical. I now mostly use my topper, when I go camping, I can fit 2 cots in the bed of my truck and the topper keeps me warmish and dry.

I currently have an ARE topper that a guy gave me and I feel like it is the perfect set up. I do have to remove my tail gate to use it, but for what I use it for it is a great set up.

The back either opens as a whole unit or you can use the walk in door.

A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

DougB

Post by DougB » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:13 pm

Check with your favorite used car dealer. They may have some take offs available. I talked with one dealer who had to dispose of a bunch of used toppers. He used a saws all, big hammer, and a dumpster. Sometimes the difference between good enough and perfect is a lot of money.
Why own a dog? There's a danger you know,

You can't own just one, for the craving will grow.

There's no doubt they're addictive, wherein lies the danger.

While living with lots, you'll grow poorer and stranger.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:12 pm

We bought ours off of Craigslist
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Wenaha

Post by Wenaha » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:20 pm

I built this from an ARE topper, kennel doors, birch ply and Line-X. It has room under the kennel boxes for a bed slide with 35 gallon water tank, pump, tool box, gun box and slide out Engel fridge. All this sits neatly in the bed of my F350 Cc SB. The thing on top is a roof top tent for camping.

Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.

My Blog: Living with Bird Dogs

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:18 am

My outfit is the same as Jakes except my truck and the topper have sliding rear and front windows, I installed a boot that fits between the truck window and the topper window. In stalled a 12 volt fan in the back that I can control from the drivers seat. With the remote thermometer I know wether to turn on the heater or air conditioner, the fan draws the air back into the topper. Have hauled dogs from Utah to Idaho in 100 degree heat, the back stayed real comfortable for the dogs.

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:43 am

Try looking for a used commercial type topper. I put one on my truck last fall and am throughly pleased with it. As you can see, it has a rack to carry a kayak or canoe, both side doors open, and you can open one or both rear doors. When I purchased it, it came with the bed slider as well. I added a couple extra lights that can be turned to shine out the back or the sides. With the dog box, I can slide two layout blinds on top and use a cargo strap to support the other end.

Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com