Gun Dog supply

DonF
GDF Junkie

Gun Dog supply

Post by DonF » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:04 am

Talked to Sam on the phone today and even though it's been about 6 mos since I got my SD tracking collar from them, they are going to take it back. I've had just to much trouble with the collars. About a six month period and four new replacement collars and still not one even remotely accurate. I told him I'd just take a credit and get the Garmin 320. To bad too. That sport dog was designed to do all I wanted it to do and is very well made. Unfortunately every collar was way off most the time showing me where the dog was. Last night was the final straw. Bodie got out about 3/4 mi and it said he was at the grave yard. Got over there and it moved him in the opposite direction 3/4 mi. Got over there and then it had him about 700 yds back toward town and in a large field across the road from the house. Got back down there and he was waiting in the yard. To bad, really nice unit just doesn't work! Thank's Steve and Sam!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

AZ Brittany Guy

Re: Gun Dog supply

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:36 am

Bummer, I have been giving this serious consideration but I hear more bad than good about it. I was hoping they would get the bugs straightened out. It sure looked more user friendly compared to Garmin.

mask

Post by mask » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:46 am

I don't know about the collar in question but I do know the astro has to be held very level to be very accurate.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:59 am

The astros 220 has a 2 axis compass, so you need to hold it level.
No a problem on the 320 with the 3 axis compass.
Steve

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:28 pm

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:Bummer, I have been giving this serious consideration but I hear more bad than good about it. I was hoping they would get the bugs straightened out. It sure looked more user friendly compared to Garmin.
I'll tell you what. if that system had been accurate, I'd have loved it. Very well made without all the stuff I don't really care about. I think their quality control doesn't exist. Strange thing is that every time I sent one back, they just shipped out a new one! Never made an effort to fix any of them.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:11 am

Bummer about the SD unit Don. I had the Astro 320 for a year. I think it's very easy to use. There's a lot of functions you probably won't use, but you'll never see them once you set the unit. Same with the Alpha. You can use either one of them as a regular GPS to hike or hunt. The Astro 320 needs to have topo maps bought for it, as I recall, or at least the one I had nearly 2 yrs ago. The Alpha comes pre loaded with topo maps for the US. I trust the Garmin products. But my first Astro 320 went haywire right off the bat too. I heard there was a problem with many Astro 320 units in the first days of delivery. GDS took it back and replaced it using 1 day air shipping.

madmurph

Post by madmurph » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:13 pm

At least you got your exercise last night Don :D Too bad about the SD. I just got an Astro two months ago and didn't even consider the SD because of their reputation with e-collars and an experience that I had several years ago myself. It's too bad. It would be nice to have two options. I did have a problem with the DC 40 collar though. Gun Dog Supply provided excellent customer service and had a new one shipped out before I even returned the old one. Accuracy seems to be no problem with this unit and I think you will be happy with it.
You could live without a dog, but it would not be worthwhile.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:39 pm

Sam and the guys at GDS are the best at customer service of any retailer of any kind that I've dealt with.