Ivomec

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Ivomec

Post by highcotton » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:03 pm

Any of you remember what the dog world was like before Ivomec? Heart worm prevention was a daily chore and many good dogs put down because of demodex. I would hate to go back to those days.

Tyler S

Re: Ivomec

Post by Tyler S » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:56 am

highcotton wrote:Any of you remember what the dog world was like before Ivomec? Heart worm prevention was a daily chore and many good dogs put down because of demodex. I would hate to go back to those days.
If I think about it hard enough I can still conjure the smell of diesel oil and sulfur during the summer. You probably know what Iam talking about, speaking of demodex.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:34 am

Keroside? Was that the name of the liquid HW preventative that we put on the dogs food each day. I remember as a kid feeding dogs in dads kennel but can't remember the name of the stuff he used. Used to buy in a gallon jug.

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:21 am

My dad thought sulfur and black oil was a cure for everything. Was probably not the best idea. I remember Filarabits. They were expensive and had to be given daily.

One of the old time chemicals that did work was Lindane dip. We kept a barrel mixed up all summer. Never any flea or tick problems. I think EPA banned it for some reason.

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:40 am

I remember also that just about everybody's dog pens had china berry trees around them too. Supposedly helped with fleas and Mosquitos.

Seems like I remember Lindane also.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:32 am

Lindane was probably the best Insecticide along with DDT that there ever was and both were banned.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:32 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Lindane was probably the best Insecticide along with DDT that there ever was and both were banned.

Ezzy
and rightly so.....

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:29 pm

It was Caracide.

And there are a lot of dead people that wish there had not been a worldwide ban of DDT, in North America we found more expensive replacements that were not available in many third world countries, including most of Central Africa. India still manufactures it, but cannot export it except for limited indoor use. It was supposed to have only been banned for agricultural use and allowed for vector control, but it did not work out that way.

I am glad we saved the eagles and condors, but I don't have any poor friends living along the equator.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:07 pm

How about Vermiplex and Task wormers?

The Vermiplex would make the dog smell like a hazardous waste dump site for days. And after a dose of Task, the dog's droppings were the best fly killers around :D

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:13 pm

MonsterDad wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:Lindane was probably the best Insecticide along with DDT that there ever was and both were banned.

Ezzy
and rightly so.....
I was thinking the same thing.

Agent Orange is the greatest herbicide man has ever seen, fortunately we're not using it anymore either.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:01 am

You gotta remember there are two sides to every story. There were some bad side effects with DDT but, as Neil says, there supposedly are over a million dead people who wouldn't agree with you.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:33 pm

I remember Task hog wormer..used it for years and it worked.