Why do you come onto this forum?

kibafang90

Why do you come onto this forum?

Post by kibafang90 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:39 am

Do i need wordage? Or is the question enough?

Ill go first.
Well, at first i came for kind advice from other bird dog owners/lovers.

Now i come to rant about things. And to read some rants, and respond to some arguments and debates.

Your turn.

Big bloc

Re: Why do you come onto this forum?

Post by Big bloc » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:57 am

I come for knowledge. I have have learned a lot on training and other stuff. I am glad I found this place
Never ever tease a gundog. Build rapport

kibafang90

Post by kibafang90 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:01 am

Big bloc wrote:I come for knowledge. I have have learned a lot on training and other stuff. I am glad I found this place
Maybe i'm not looking in the correct topics? :/ I find mean people.. And i see people arguing with each other about the most simple topics.
I saw people arguing rudely, about what dog food is better..

Meller

Post by Meller » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:39 am

Along with obtaining knowledge it come's with what to do and what not to do; it is up to you to sort it out. :)

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:43 am

kibafang90 wrote:
Big bloc wrote:I come for knowledge. I have have learned a lot on training and other stuff. I am glad I found this place
Maybe i'm not looking in the correct topics? :/ I find mean people.. And i see people arguing with each other about the most simple topics.

That is any open forum. Most folks, especially when it comes to something they are passionate about tend to be very opinionated, and refuse yo believe what they are doing is not the best.... you think a dog food thread got rude and heated? Look up some of the old GSP color threads. Most of us start here for info, then we come for entertainment, and then at some point its like watching two trains headed down the same track..... you know what your gonna see, you just can't look away.
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:53 am

kibafang90 wrote: Maybe i'm not looking in the correct topics? :/ I find mean people.. And i see people arguing with each other about the most simple topics.

You posted about eating someones guts and you're worried about "people arguing rudely"?

That's is funny.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:08 am

kibafang90 wrote:
Madam, I looked back to see what happened and why you feel the way you do. What I see is on application you said you joined because you NEEDED advice. I also see some people who were willing to offer some advice but a lot of it wasn't real good since all they did was tell you what they do instead of posting different ways you could do something. It did end up with several of us debating what works and what doesn't. But I could find no evidence of MEAN people. And there wasn't anyone directing any criticism towards. You have to remember that most people will try to help and a few will use the forum to try and convince you of how much more they know than everyone else on here know. That group will gradually get weeded out and things will get back to normal. I truly hope you will become one of our helpers and enjoy the time you are here.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:33 pm

walkos5 wrote:I joined so I could become a member of the kibble club but I don't think their president Ezzy likes me.
I have been trying for the last hour responding to a couple of very experienced dog trainers in the USA ,on a complicated and controversial issue regarding training techniques.
But I have to admit ...That there is funny! :lol: :lol: :lol: walkos5 !
Concentration is on another level now, so I'll just take the dog's out :D

BigJake

Post by BigJake » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:26 pm

I come for advice, I come to meet new friends, I come because I care about my dogs and want to stay up to date on health and nutrition. I come to find out about different breeds and look at different training techniques. I come because dog people are some of the best people around:)

SD44

Post by SD44 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:22 pm

I come because there is a lot of good info and advice on the forum. It is a chance to learn from others and their experiences. Great place to meet new people who all have the same genuine interests.

I don't think there are "mean" people on here, just different opinions when it come to types of breeds, raising, training and feeding etc. It is sort of like the 'ol Ford vs. Chevy debates. Bottom line is we all want what is best for our dogs and that is what brings us all to this forum, and of course that is my opinion.
Cheers,
SD

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:46 pm

I come because it makes me think, and learn.

I hope I help others think and learn.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:58 pm

Internet forums are a weird mix of good and bad, and the mix is constantly changing. Anonymity can make some folks ruder than they would be otherwise.
My survival guide is - be polite , even in conflict of opinions , don’t feed the trolls, no PM fire balls, ignore threads that turn into pissing matches(rule of thumb anything over 2 pages is suspect).

Over the years the good has really out weighed the bad, by a long shot.

kibafang90

Post by kibafang90 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:45 pm

ACooper wrote:
kibafang90 wrote: Maybe i'm not looking in the correct topics? :/ I find mean people.. And i see people arguing with each other about the most simple topics.

You posted about eating someones guts and you're worried about "people arguing rudely"?

That's is funny.
I'm sorry, my RANT about my encounters with men on the street harassing me, had nothing to do with any of the forum users on here. Nothing about it was rude to a specific forum user, in fact, it had no relevance to any user here at all.
You compare me ranting about a random man on the street, to others on this forum literally sassing each others posts?
You honestly think my post was personally offensive to you? Even though it was not even directed towards you..?

kibafang90

Post by kibafang90 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:58 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Madam, I looked back to see what happened and why you feel the way you do. What I see is on application you said you joined because you NEEDED advice. I also see some people who were willing to offer some advice but a lot of it wasn't real good since all they did was tell you what they do instead of posting different ways you could do something. It did end up with several of us debating what works and what doesn't. But I could find no evidence of MEAN people. And there wasn't anyone directing any criticism towards. You have to remember that most people will try to help and a few will use the forum to try and convince you of how much more they know than everyone else on here know. That group will gradually get weeded out and things will get back to normal. I truly hope you will become one of our helpers and enjoy the time you are here.

Ezzy

Read through the raw post. Its under my name.
People here are clearly "duking it out"..
All because of different opinions about dog food..

kibafang90

Post by kibafang90 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:02 pm

aulrich wrote:Internet forums are a weird mix of good and bad, and the mix is constantly changing. Anonymity can make some folks ruder than they would be otherwise.
My survival guide is - be polite , even in conflict of opinions , don’t feed the trolls, no PM fire balls, ignore threads that turn into pissing matches(rule of thumb anything over 2 pages is suspect).

:)
I suppose ill take your advice and stay a little longer!
I just cant stand people sassing each other :( I don't enjoy listening or reading a sassy, rude argument.
Unless of course the posters are just joking with each other!

kibafang90

Post by kibafang90 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:06 pm

BigJake wrote:I come for advice, I come to meet new friends, I come because I care about my dogs and want to stay up to date on health and nutrition. I come to find out about different breeds and look at different training techniques. I come because dog people are some of the best people around:)
Did you meet anybody local!? That would be awesome!

kibafang90

Post by kibafang90 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:09 pm

SD44 wrote:I come because there is a lot of good info and advice on the forum. It is a chance to learn from others and their experiences. Great place to meet new people who all have the same genuine interests.

I don't think there are "mean" people on here, just different opinions when it come to types of breeds, raising, training and feeding etc. It is sort of like the 'ol Ford vs. Chevy debates. Bottom line is we all want what is best for our dogs and that is what brings us all to this forum, and of course that is my opinion.
Well here's what i think about it. Old ford, and Chevy are BOTH just fine to the people who love them. No need to rip each others throats out over little things.
We aren't all the same on this forum, and we are all at different "levels". Nobody's ideas are perfect for everybody.
I don't know. :/ Maybe its just me? I have never seen such sass. And they aren't even JOKING with each other.
That raw vs kibble vs cooked food thread was tough to read. :( Such disrespect and sass to fellow dog lovers.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:29 pm

I come here to feel good about my spelling and grammar.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

SD44

Post by SD44 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:31 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:I come here to feel good about my spelling and grammar.
+1
Cheers,
SD

kibafang90

Post by kibafang90 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:53 pm

Your like my grandmother when she uses the internet. All proper about grammar, taking precious seconds just to make sure she spells everything correctly.
Me, i just type down what i can as quickjly as i can. So i can get to all my responses and open chats. Im not just sitting on this forum, chatting with you.
I have my facebook, skype, yahoo, aim, emails, and MULTIPLE forums to respond to at once. Spelling and grammar is the last thing im worrying about.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:55 pm

kibafang90 wrote:
ACooper wrote:

That's is funny.
I'm sorry, my RANT about my encounters with men on the street harassing me, had nothing to do with any of the forum users on here. Nothing about it was rude to a specific forum user, in fact, it had no relevance to any user here at all.
You compare me ranting about a random man on the street, to others on this forum literally sassing each others posts?
You honestly think my post was personally offensive to you? Even though it was not even directed towards you..?
Why would you post something that you proclaim has nothing to do with us, or even the forum? When did sass become an insult?

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:59 pm

kibafang90 wrote:
Your like my grandmother when she uses the internet. All proper about grammar, taking precious seconds just to make sure she spells everything correctly.
Me, i just type down what i can as quickjly as i can. So i can get to all my responses and open chats. Im not just sitting on this forum, chatting with you.
I have my facebook, skype, yahoo, aim, emails, and MULTIPLE forums to respond to at once. Spelling and grammar is the last thing im worrying about.
Despite the great demands social media places upon you, if your goal is to communicate, to be understood, spelling and grammar are important. Now if I could just get my fat fingers to hit the right keys.

kibafang90

Post by kibafang90 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:00 pm

ACooper wrote: Why would you post something that you proclaim has nothing to do with us, or even the forum? When did sass become an insult?
Did you read the post? It clearly said "I know this is a RANT but..hey to other women on here, how do you handle those men spitting out those cheap lines while you are NOT interested, and you are busy?"
That was a question. You know, chat with others who can talk to you about how they react in the same situation..

Sass is NOT rude and disrespectful to others?! :O

kibafang90

Post by kibafang90 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:05 pm

Neil wrote:
kibafang90 wrote:
Despite the great demands social media places upon you, if your goal is to communicate, to be understood, spelling and grammar are important. Now if I could just get my fat fingers to hit the right keys.
Its okay, my fingers do that a lot too. :) When you typing quickly and responding to many people at once!
Are you a quick at typing?

BigJake

Post by BigJake » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:41 pm

kibafang90 wrote:
BigJake wrote:I come for advice, I come to meet new friends, I come because I care about my dogs and want to stay up to date on health and nutrition. I come to find out about different breeds and look at different training techniques. I come because dog people are some of the best people around:)
Kiba
Have not met anyone from the board yet in person, but I have called a few of the breeders to get more information on their dogs and upcoming puppies:)

kibafang90

Post by kibafang90 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:43 pm

BigJake wrote:
kibafang90 wrote:
Kiba
Have not met anyone from the board yet in person, but I have called a few of the breeders to get more information on their dogs and upcoming puppies:)
Thats cool!! I wonder what breeders are around me! I love meeting up with breeders!

rons

Post by rons » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:46 pm

I joined this forum for advise and knowledge to make myself an better trainer and handler. I enjoy the GLOW of bonding friendship amongst us. I also joined to put adventure in my hum drum workaholic life.
Thanks for putting a smile on my face.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:52 pm

kibafang90 wrote:
aulrich wrote:Internet forums are a weird mix of good and bad, and the mix is constantly changing. Anonymity can make some folks ruder than they would be otherwise.

:)
I suppose ill take your advice and stay a little longer!
I just cant stand people sassing each other :( I don't enjoy listening or reading a sassy, rude argument.
Unless of course the posters are just joking with each other!
I have a really unique method for avoiding threads I don't like.....I simply don't read them :idea: I agree with aulrich...The good far out way the bad, but it helps if one is not so sensitive that he/she gets offended by the least little comments.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:58 pm

On a key board I type 60+ words a minute, on a Kindle Fire much, much less. It is painfull.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:13 pm

I've been on here quite a while and am here to learn from very knowledgeable dog trainers/hunters. The level of discussion is higher than any other forum I visit. I keep notes and save many posts in case I need them in the future. Big thanks to all those who take the time to answer difficult questions thoroughly.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

jack the dog

Post by jack the dog » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:38 am

I love dogs, and bird hunting, and shotguns.
I thought this place would be a good fit.
Let me always be the person my dog thinks I am.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:49 am

To learn, to share experience and to offer considerations on important subjects past the presently popular and convenient to believe.

The Ignore feature works pretty well but one has to be signed in to take full advantage of it.

kibafang90

Post by kibafang90 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:45 am

rons wrote:I joined this forum for advise and knowledge to make myself an better trainer and handler. I enjoy the GLOW of bonding friendship amongst us. I also joined to put adventure in my hum drum workaholic life.
Thanks for putting a smile on my face.
You seem so sweet! <3
jack the dog wrote:I love dogs, and bird hunting, and shotguns.
I thought this place would be a good fit.
Shot guns? o.o
I mean, i love dogs... But, i really would never get another hunting breed. NEVER another weim!

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:14 am

I first came on board to learn and maybe share, I still do that. But now it has also become rather entertaining. Videos, rants and all.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:05 pm

[quote="kibafang90
Shot guns? o.o
I mean, i love dogs... But, i really would never get another hunting breed. NEVER another weim![/quote]

Madam : This is a gundog forum. We have gun dogs , guns and we shoot animals and birds and eat them. . Just thought I should let you know.

feathers.fur and fin/ON
Last edited by Sharon on Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:17 pm

I came on this board to get in berated by a guy named Neil...... :lol: DoH.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

whatsnext

Post by whatsnext » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:42 am

I think everyone should slowly back away now...........

RichK

Post by RichK » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:06 am

kibafang90 wrote: Shot guns? o.o
I mean, i love dogs... But, i really would never get another hunting breed. NEVER another weim!

I understand you are young and from MA and coming from an anti-gun state I'm sure there is pressure from the crowd around you to have an anti-gun sentiment or at least you don't seem comfortable around firearms from reading your posts.

Like mentioned, this forum is called Gun Dog Forum, first word being gun and second word being dog. Guns and dogs are what this forum and group of people are here to discuss. Animals are going to be killed and dogs are going to be used to accomplish that objective.

If this isn't your niche, you might feel more comfortable with a group like this.

http://www.canine-freestyle.org/about.asp

This is definitely not the forum to post arbitrary rants on, I believe Facebook is better suited for that.

Your best bet is to grab a gun and your dog and use him for what he was designed for.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:05 am

:lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol:

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:26 am

Excellent posts by Sharon and RichK!!!

Awesome picture Sharon!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

nwnick

Post by nwnick » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:50 pm

I come on this forum to learn from others that are more knowledgeable than I am on dogs and training. I haven't had a hunting dog in nearly 20 years due to life and job choices (and some circumstances that weren't choices but those are the cards we all get dealt) and I am now at a point to where I have the time to do the things that I miss. Things have changed over the past 20 years.
When I have solicited advice or opinions I have found the advice or opinions offered to be open and honest and in an open forum you can be subjected to so much more.
I also come on here to offer advice where I feel I'm qualified to offer it up, I am still "just a pup" so you can see I am not qualified to offer much :D
I also come on here for it's entertainment value. I like to see people passionate about things. I find the people on this forum to be honest and actually caring about dogs and the sport of hunting despite the rants and raves
I visit this site several times a week

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:16 am

kibafang90 wrote: If this isn't your niche, you might feel more comfortable with a group like this.

http://www.canine-freestyle.org/about.asp

That's just too funny!
Tom

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:00 am

I've found the training section absolutely nasty so I refuse to go there anymore. I will occasionally look for something specific in the health section, and I mostly browse the general section, but more frequently than not I'm selling something, or looking for advise in the off topic section. Where else can you go and find people in all lines of work with all different expertise who are willing to give away "trade secrets" for free to help someone on the other side of the country save a few bucks?
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:29 pm

I'm on here because I like bird dogs, forums, and arguing. I also like a little learning from time to time.
kibafang90 wrote:
This forum is incredibly civil, you need a thicker skin before you venture into the real world.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:17 pm

I only come on here now to check out the 'Any of you feed raw' thread!
A bit like catching up with the Soaps on tv :lol:

mask

Post by mask » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:55 pm

polmaise wrote:I only come on here now to check out the 'Any of you feed raw' thread!
A bit like catching up with the Soaps on tv :lol:
Nice shot polmaise :lol: Having owned pointers for 60 years I have found a sense of humor is a must and thick skin helps. This is a good site that I happen to enjoy. If I can help someone I will but I think the worst vice is advice. I will tell you what works for me and you can take it for what it is worth. There are people on here that would not know a bird dog if it came up and ask them to dance while some are really quite knowledgeable, it's a great mix and can be a lot of fun.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:00 am

Masochism.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:03 am

Exactly. LOL :mrgreen:

asc

Post by asc » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:08 am

Thats cool!! I wonder what breeders are around me! I love meeting up with breeders![/quote]

I am a breeder, pm me some pics of yourself for consideration. :wink:

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:41 pm

There are some mighty fine people here on this board. Most will offer help if asked, some will help anyways :)
how do you handle those men spitting out those cheap lines while you are NOT interested, and you are busy?"
Well when any man tries this with me, I look him in the eye and tell him, "There is a guy out in L.A. is a pres of a bank kinda likes my walk", why would you think I would pass that up for you? lol

Well if I was that way, Steve would do it for me :) then they leave me alone. Walk off mumbleing stuff I cant understand...
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935