ANOTHER RANT

Neil
GDF Junkie

ANOTHER RANT

Post by Neil » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:41 pm

After a couple weeks of ice and snow, I decided to "exercise" my equipment; garden tractor, chainsawa, generators, tractor, weed eaters, etc. Despite proper storage and Stibul, not one readily started, save the diesel tractor.

All because of the Federal mandated ethenal.

I want the Federal Government out of my life, ezcept for national defence, interstate commerce, treaties, and election of congress and president.

Have you looked at the price of a new car? Back up cameras, tire pressure monitors, CAFA, low sulfur diesel, etc. Are all good opitions, but they are manidated.

How about low volume toilets, no indecandesrnt light bulbs, more effcient ceiling fans, all good? But forced upon us by the Feds?

Ms. Cage

Re: ANOTHER RANT

Post by Ms. Cage » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:56 pm

Maybe it's time to take back our country from DC idiots. Another Boston tea party . Buckets of tar and feathers!!! :wink: Don't ya just love it, turning food into fuel. Driving food prices higher and higher. Yet we have al the oil we need in the ground.
Last edited by Ms. Cage on Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JonnyNC

Post by JonnyNC » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:04 pm

Couldn't agree more.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:16 pm

You can't blame not starting on alcohol, no matter what kind it is. It burns easier than gasoline. We have used it for years with out your problems and we are much colder than you. getting the government out of most anything is a big improvement, I agree.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 pm

JonnyNC wrote:Couldn't agree more.
+1

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:36 am

ezzy333 wrote:You can't blame not starting on alcohol, no matter what kind it is. It burns easier than gasoline. We have used it for years with out your problems and we are much colder than you. getting the government out of most anything is a big improvement, I agree.

Ezzy
Ezzy,

I am not much of a mechanic, sure don't know much about internal combustion engines. Whwt I do know pre-ethenol I had a 10 year old weedeater, since I have gone through 5. I have been to 4 small engine repair shops, all blamed ethenol and advised it was cheaper to replace than repair.

My experience is not unique, go to any yard sale and you are likely to find at least one non-running yard care implement. I am told that the alcohol is the culprit.

whatsnext

Post by whatsnext » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:37 am

The alcohol affects the plastics in the fuel system and thats why you have problems plain and simple .

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:37 am

ezzy333 wrote:You can't blame not starting on alcohol, no matter what kind it is. It burns easier than gasoline. We have used it for years with out your problems and we are much colder than you. getting the government out of most anything is a big improvement, I agree.

Ezzy
As fuel companies move forward to comply with the federal Renewable fuel Standard by making E15 instead of E10 you will see a lot more small engine failure...and failure of vehicle engines as well. There is no way for the consumer to protect himself from the harmful effects of ethanol in gasoline, because there is no way of knowing what environmental factors have affected the added ethanol as it travels from the point of origin to your gas tank. As you know, ethanol absorbs atmospheric water and will gel up in an engine.

Corn might be an appropriate additive to dog food, but not so much as an additive to fuel for combustion engines :D

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:24 am

Neil, the ethanol doesn't affect your car but it does all small engines including outboards. In my outboards, snow blower, weed eater, mower, etc, I burn ONLY PREMIUM with NO ethanol. Some premium has 10% ethanol! some doesn't, you have to look. If you burn gas with ethanol, it eats all of your lines. Terrible stuff. A blight on us and the birds.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:32 am

"Corn might be an appropriate additive to dog food, but not so much as an additive to fuel for combustion engines :D"

Sorry, I can't help myself........does it make the engine fart? :mrgreen:

natel24

Post by natel24 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:14 am

here's the deal plain and simple,when your old outboards, snowmobiles, chainsaws etc... were designed, they were designed to use the fuel that was produced back then. now we have 10-15% ethanol gas and it wreaks havoc on some of the old fuel lines, carbs, plastic parts etc.. I witnessed this first hand on my old boat motor and ancient arctic cat snowmobile. If you bought anything that was manufactured in the last 5 or so years it was designed to use our current fuels. you can still find some fuels that are ethanol free.
pure-gas.org
natel24
"My dogs not perfect, but i'm not a perfect shot either."
"I'd rather go hunting without a gun than without my dog."

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:16 pm

Oil companies(I work for one in the refining sector) can get "Carbon" credits,they spend the carbon credits which allows them to sell a certain number of barrells of non ethanol treated fuel.Around here it is the "plus" gasoline,The blender operator where I work said it is the same thing as our super,has the same blend and octane as "super" but doesn't get the ethanol.I buy that stuff for all my small engine equipment.I buy it at a 76 station and the Plus pump has a BIG Ethanol free sticker on it.Spendy though,super right now is 4 bucks a gallon,the plus is 4.40 gallon.For as much as a guy uses the 40 cents a gallon more is worth it.

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:56 pm

Anybody that says ethanol doesn't affect small engines have never worked out in the woods for a living with a chainsaw.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:46 pm

here's the deal plain and simple,when your old outboards, snowmobiles, chainsaws etc... were designed, they were designed to use the fuel that was produced back then
As a former mechanic I must say you have some real old stuff since everything internal combustion made since 1981 is built to take ethanol.

I fired up a chainsaw the other day was sitting for 2 years. Cut my branch like buttah lol learn how to maintain yer equipment or you will stay on this buy and replace system.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:59 pm

markj wrote:
here's the deal plain and simple,when your old outboards, snowmobiles, chainsaws etc... were designed, they were designed to use the fuel that was produced back then
As a former mechanic I must say you have some real old stuff since everything internal combustion made since 1981 is built to take ethanol.

I fired up a chainsaw the other day was sitting for 2 years. Cut my branch like buttah lol learn how to maintain yer equipment or you will stay on this buy and replace system.
You are the ONLY mechanic I have EVER heard say that. I don't buy it. I'll keep using 0 ethanol fuels like my guys tell me to.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:31 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:
markj wrote:

You are the ONLY mechanic I have EVER heard say that. I don't buy it. I'll keep using 0 ethanol fuels like my guys tell me to.
I happened to be working with our research people back before ethanol was around but we put in a small distiller and made ethanol and gluten feed as a by-product. We experimented with the products for a little while then started using the ethanol in our fleet vehicles. We had very few problems once we got the fuel filters cleaned or replaced due to the ethanol cleaning the whole system. We also worked with all of the car companies and got their blessing but even then there were some mechanics that blamed it for al sorts of problems on it. And as Mark said it was a few years later before the small engines got their system aligned with it's use. But in the past couple of decades and longer all engines have been modified to use it. I have mowers, tillers, weed-eaters, and a mercury boat motor that has had nothing else in them for the past 15 to 20 years with out a single problem from the fuel used.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:53 am

You are the ONLY mechanic I have EVER heard say that.
Fist cars run on alchohol, oil companies at teh time pulled kerosene or lamp oil and burnd off the gas as it was to volitol to use at teh tme. Carbs were not even around, fuel dripped into teh throat of the intake so gas wouloda exploded. Then a fellow developed a way to use gas and the oil companies got ahold of us and our cash. I used to work for standard, I know about the crap they sell. I been using e10 since day one, at first we had issues with folks run on 1/4 tanks, it stripped the gas crude off and stuck it in teh flters and pumps...

Did ya know GM makes engines for south america burn 100% alchohol and get a huge amount of milage? Why not here? cause you would not spend as much on fuel...we are a consumer driven society,get used to it :) Look at european cars using clean diesel technology and getting 60 mpg, why not here? cause we got folks get our govt to keep us on teh use as much oil as possible so they can get super wealthy. American consumerism, everything you view has a agenda to get you to spend money on stuff you really do not need, tv shows, movies, etc.

If the engine is built for alchohol you can make more power than you can with gas. muscle car did one for e85 made almost 800 hp no blower no turbo, do that with any gas powered small block, but it is impossible.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:57 pm

Were ethanol even half as good as many are suggesting, there would be no need for the goverment subsidies. We would be fighting to pay a premium for it. The car companies beat back the new forced higher levels of ethanol for a reason. Even though E-10 works ok in large displacement engines, it is accepted it can cause problems in 2 cycle small engines. I suspect it breaks down the oil.

Go to Home Depot or any repair shop at look at the many additives they are selling, it has become a big business for a reason.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:10 pm

I don't question that the engines run fine, it's what it does to the fuel lines and seals. What the mechanics tell me is that it eats the lines and seals apart.