go pro cam

CDN_Cocker

go pro cam

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:12 pm

Figured I'd post in here and maybe save myself some trial and error. I got a go pro hero 3 black for Christmas and plan on using it while hunting and training with the dog. I haven't even powered it on yet as I need to get an SD card for it. Does anyone else use a hero3? What are the best settings if I plan on uploading to YouTube (I am assuming some settings would make the video too large?) . Thanks guys, not much ofa techie Lol.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

Carolina Gundogs

Re: go pro cam

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:49 am

I believe YouTube breaks the video down into a smaller resolution when uploaded.
I use a HD Hero 2 and use the recommended setting in their manual. I believe it is 960x30 or something like that.
You will enjoy your new toy!

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:53 am

Can't wait to try it out. Gotta get an SD card so I can start playing around with it.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

Steelcityred

Post by Steelcityred » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:41 am

It depends what you are going for. You definitely got a nice one. (i have the same model). If you google "best setting for Go Pro 3 black edition there are websites with suggested settings and some will show the differences between each, like the one listed below. It all depends on what level of editing and skill you have with the computer. you have several slow motion options now. with this model you can also do a tight angle in a few of the resolutions, so the options are endless. I tend to pic the 948x???? it is hard for the eye to tell a difference between 720 and 1080p any way so i just pic the one in between. I also like the 2.7 k mode too. Like I said find a website with the comparisons it really helps. remember hunting is an all day event. get an extra battery or 2 and memory cards as well. 720p at 60 fps will fill a card with only 2 hours of filming.

good article but many more out there:http://www.dpreview.com/articles/128478 ... etup-guide

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:28 pm

Trying to do the software update but it keeps failing on me. Formatted and retried 5 times now and nothing. Gets to 100% and powers off on me
Cass

Luminary Setters

go pro cam

Post by Luminary Setters » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:53 pm

GoPro cannot do the software update through the Safari Internet browser. I had continual problems for over four months before they told me to use a different browser.

Get tech support on the phone and font let them off until you get it resolved. PM me if you have continual issues.
Hunter Payne

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:09 pm

I've been using Google Chrome. No luck.
Cass

Luminary Setters

go pro cam

Post by Luminary Setters » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:17 pm

Be sure the SD card meets or exceeds the speed requirements. If you haven't called tech support, go ahead. I wasted hours of my life to get mine working.
Hunter Payne

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:04 pm

Got it updated, I called them and its up to date. Now to figure out how to use it lol
Cass

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:22 pm

How do you edit videos? Is there a program?
Cass

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:33 am

Been playing around with it a bit more, think I'm going to use 720 and 60fps. What angle do you guys use? Wide seems kind of... fish bowl-like?
Cass

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:52 am

CDN_Cocker wrote:How do you edit videos? Is there a program?

Cass
I use Real Player Cloud and Windows Movie Maker, works for both my Contour Roam and my Nikon Cool pic. Both are free downloads.
Windows Movie Maker has a bit more flexibility than the Real player ,however I like them both.
I know nothing about Go-Pro other than use the least amount of of fish bowl effect I believe the G P is 170% The Contour Roam is 130% it does provide a little more distance capability fish bowl distorts distance.
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:47 am

If you narrow the view you will be able to see things like birds at a little distance.
These are from a hero 2 on narrow field of view FOV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r079FpanYIw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt_pj20q4w
Steve

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:13 pm

Those are great Steve! I took a video yesterday on Medium, but I think maybe Narrow is what I should be using. Even the medium FOV is a bit too much fish bowl action
Cass

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:14 pm

Thanks, it fun to go back and see what happens as the birds go up.

Mine is the older Hero 2, I think I only have wide and narrow. But the Narrow works pretty well when working dogs.
Steve

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:30 pm

SetterNut wrote:If you narrow the view you will be able to see things like birds at a little distance.

I'm looking for the Go Pro to be dog mounted,my current cam can do pretty much what you have. Nice videos , btw ..if them setters could set on the flush and stop to the shot/flush that would be awesome to see. Thanks for sharing.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:54 pm

polmaise wrote:
SetterNut wrote:If you narrow the view you will be able to see things like birds at a little distance.

I'm looking for the Go Pro to be dog mounted,my current cam can do pretty much what you have. Nice videos , btw ..if them setters could set on the flush and stop to the shot/flush that would be awesome to see. Thanks for sharing.

The grass we hunt in here in the Flinthills of Kansas is tall and thick. Most of the time at dog level, you really can't see much.
But if I had another camera and a dog harness, it would be fun to see what it looks like.
Steve

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:26 pm

I almost bought a collar harness for the camera but I just can't see it staying on a turbo spaniel busting cover
Cass

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:01 am

polmaise wrote:

I'm looking for the Go Pro to be dog mounted,my current cam can do pretty at you have. Nice videos , btw ..if them setters could set on the flush and stop to the shot/flush that would be awesome to see. Thanks for sharing.

Here you go, Duck shooting vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltvIY_6YISk

GSP quail hunt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxcpZ_VrVk0

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:07 am

gundogguy wrote: GSP quail hunt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxcpZ_VrVk0
Thanks for that gundogguy!
I could give you a detailed reply ,but I only watched half of it. Have a good New Year :wink:

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:29 pm

I do not think I will invest in a camera harness for my dog, I guess I just do not get the point. I would prefer the camera attached to the handler or gunner. This may be entertaining,though for some!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_BRjO_ensc

Perception of distances and time I feel are distorted.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:02 pm

I'm with ya Hal. Might be neat for sitting in a duck blind, but for upland work, I think it would just make the viewer sick to their stomach. Plus with the stuff my dog goes through, nothing would keep that thing attached to him.
Cass

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:27 pm

gundogguy wrote:I do not think I will invest in a camera harness for my dog, I guess I just do not get the point. Perception of distances and time I feel are distorted.
I agree!..Not worth the extra money to what I have already.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:44 pm

This company is great, I got my camo skins from them and these look like an addition you might HAVE to HAVE:

http://www.captureyourhunt.com/dog-mounts/