game hunting and recepies

halt3rtop

game hunting and recepies

Post by halt3rtop » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:09 pm

i live off of venison, bear and duck...just wondering what you guys hunt in terms of big game critters (if any), and if you guys have any wicked steak marinade recepies, backstrap recepies,...etc? i'm always looking to try new things when cookin' my meat. :)

sarahlou

Re: game hunting and recepies

Post by sarahlou » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:49 pm

I hunt hog mostly. One thing I do with domestic pork shoulders is coat it in McCormick Applewood rub the night before and then the next morning throw it in a crock pot for 8 hours with an onion cut into 4 pieces. The meat tastes amazing and falls off the bone. I just killed a hog and plan on doing that when I cook it. We will see how it turns out. I also have wanted to try mojo marinade on pork. I think the applewood would probably be good on venison too.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:19 pm

We live off Venison and fish with a supplement of quail, and pheasant. Some duck, but still trying to figure out how to make it taste less like duck :roll:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:40 pm

Last time I ate wild duck they cooked it in an oven bag with orange juice in it. Was pretty good.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

halt3rtop

Post by halt3rtop » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:53 am

mountain, i rarely eat anything else but wild game. best way ive found to cook duck, is breast the duck out. the carcass you can turn into a soup afterwards,...but the breasts i usually take applewood smoked bacon (or any bacon for that matter, the applewood only gives it a heavenly flavour), and wrap the breast in it. make sure you soak some toothpicks in water about 30 minutes before you do this to prevent them from burning, and pin the bacon down. and i make my own marinade out of orange sauce you can find in the international food aisle at the grocery store, with a titch of bbq sauce and honey mustard mixed. maybe a bit of garlic powder or minced garlic in there, and mix it all up then baste these tiny morsels of yumminess. bbq as usual to your desired taste. when mine come off of the q, it's literally like a wild filet mingnon. just keep an eye on it, as the bacon CAN burn. my boyfriend goes nuts over this and loves it. most of my ducks aquired are divers, heavier taste than a puddle duck, so i came up with my concoction to help damper the crazy wild flavour. buffies, rings, and even hoodies, they all taste wonderful. i also prepped some of this and vaccuum sealed the breasts for a mid january bbq meal. already prepped, and ready to be tossed onto the heat. :)
mccormick products i don't think we can get here. :( it's just like a friend of ours that's from the states comes up and uses his cottage, and when it comes time to leave we get everything out of his freezer and fridge then his renters come in for the summer. i believe it's lowry's steak marinade, he had a small amount left so we ended up with it and i did some venison steaks up in it, awesome. just wish we got it here, 3 deer for us this passed season, we got lotsa meat to cook.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:34 am

Deer and bear here - making a bear stew as we speak
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:24 am

mountaindogs wrote: Some duck, but still trying to figure out how to make it taste less like duck :roll:
Rub the meat down with Sesame oil. Let it soak 30 min. or so.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:26 am

I grill my duck and goose breasts after marinating them in Italian dressing for at least 24 hours. Cook them medium and leave pink in the center. The longer you cook duck/goose the drier it gets and the more "duckier" it tastes.

Try that next time you cook it and you will be pleasantly surprised. I should add that the type of duck really influences the taste as well. Divers and Shovelers are not nearly as good as other puddle ducks. Canada geese and Specks, to me are much better than Snows.

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:29 am

duckn66 wrote: Canada geese and Specks, to me are much better than Snows.
I think Lesser Canadas are better than Greaters or Giants.

FirearmFan

Post by FirearmFan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:02 pm

I eat a lot of venison. Also duck, goose, grouse, pheasant, turkey, rabbit, and any other wild game I can get ahold of.

I marinade my duck breasts using whatever marinade I have at the time that looks tasty and grill them. I think that duck tastes awesome. I have also pan fried them using flour and lawrys or doing a beer batter.

Pastor Brown

Post by Pastor Brown » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:10 pm

Del Lolo wrote:
duckn66 wrote: Canada geese and Specks, to me are much better than Snows.
I think Lesser Canadas are better than Greaters or Giants.
I agree, I like the Lessers.

and as far as duck recipes, I had an "Orange Duck" recipe, where the bird was simply marinaded with a homemade source, heavy with oranges, & it was really good! Not a huge duck fan myself.

for venison, you can't beat marinading in milk, to remove game taste, then just soy sauce, garlic, & pepper. Cook it up with onions & mushrooms... MMMM MMMM good!

deke

Post by deke » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:52 pm

I do a lot of summer sausage from duck and goose, but if I cook it I do a jalapeno bacon wrapped duck strip.

Cut duck or goose breast into 1 in strip.
wrap strip around a quarter jalapeno, use toothpick to hold together
put in smoker on low heat for 2-3 hours depending on how much smoke flavor you want
pull out of smoker and rub minced garlic lightly onto duck
wrap in a piece of thin bacon
throw on hot grill until bacon is done

Sometimes I will whip up a quick hoarseradish sourcream sauce, but not necessary.