Elk hunting

deke

Elk hunting

Post by deke » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:54 pm

Does anyone on here bow hunt elk? My first year will be this year and was wondering if there are any good tips out there? How heavy of a broadhead do you use for elk, I shoot 100 gr for deer, also I shoot my bow at 70 lbs, about 275 fps. Any tips on getting close to elk either bulls or cows as we can harvest either. Really im just trying to wrap my head around this, I usually only hunt in eastern wa out in wide open, not in the thick stuff. Also does anyone use ASAT camo?

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Re: Elk hunting

Post by ultracarry » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:18 am

Stop over thinking it. Use the same equip and don't worry about it. I shot at 74# with a 324gr total weight arrow and shot front quarter and exited hind quarter. Calling depends on getting good at calling which 99% of people can not do to save their life. Try it out and watch some Eastman movies or check out Cameron Hanes ( sp?) get in shape and ready to hike three miles past everyone else. Camp pattern really doesn't matter but I prefer Sitka pants and some breathable under later top with Sitka jacket ( with pit zips) .

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:31 pm

I used to elk hunt around Ellensburg with a rifle,as far as getting close,you can do it easily,on numerous occasions I was well within 25-30 yards of the herd,I never had any luck in 6 years of hunting over there i was always in the right spots,just at the wrong time.I did have a 5 point bull stand up in front of me one year at 40 yards,part of the reason I don't hunt em anymore I could always get on the branched antler bulls but could never seem to get lucky enough to come acrossed a legal spike to shoot,The other reason was how many times I got looked at through someone elses scope the last year.The one year where I was all over them day after day,I took a member of camp with me up the hill each day after I'd found their hidey hole in the big timber,3 of 3 shot spikes.It's a tough hunt for them in a public area where there's a pumpkin every 2-300 yards.Get in the timber with the wind in your face and listen carefully for cow calls and whistling spikes.There's pretty good opportunity to get an elk right around here at Acme/Mosquito lake road .Some young men I know were on them this year and had them a couple different times at 40 yards along the South fork of the Nooksack.Vegetation in the way prevented a good shot,and a wind shift sent the whole herd a running on them both opportunities.

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:34 pm

I did some bow hunting in western Oregon a few years back. My friends use to say "if you can see farther than 15 yds, then you're not in the right spot". I would say if your going to hunt western WA, be ready to do some hiking and hunt the cover. The Re planted trees were some of the better spots. Good luck and good hunting. It was some of the hardest hunting I have ever done. I used 125 gr broadheads and 62# on my bow. The guys I hunted all had different set ups, most used 100gr and 60-70 lbs.

deke

Post by deke » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:55 am

Wildweeds; I actually live within 5 minutes of acme, and I have heard that same story from a few of my buddies. Could be the same set of guys, they were on private property along the river with a corn field on one side. They had a nice 6x6 bull walk through the same area every day at the same time all summer long, until they all went in and set up stands. I however have yet to find a good spot that close to home for elk, it is a very well guarded secret for some reason. We are going down to the peninsula around forks I believe. One of the guys I pheasant hunt with goes with a group of guys who have a big chunk of private land that someone in their family owns.

jwnissen; I know what your saying, when we rifle hunt them we get dropped off on a beach we have named " Normandy". Takes 45 minutes to get find a spot to get up in the trees, and you always lose half the guys you got dropped off with.

Ultra; How fast is that monster of a bow you are shooting? Did you hit shoulder? That's some pretty impressive penetration

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:22 am

349 fps ... And could have grazed bones but it didn't break any. I did a lot of killing with that bow.

I shot under IBO weight (5grains per pound) because I wanted speed due to long shots and having a deer jump my string in a slower bow which led to a five hour track, 300 yd sprint, a few more arrows, 8 mile pack out in the dark with no light situation.... In mountain lion country :) Ohhhh with no water and covered in blood.

Now I also pack out deer and elk without gutting them. Just take the meat right off the bone, small incision for the heart and tenderloin.

deke

Post by deke » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:27 am

That is a fast shooting bow, same pin out to fifty or so? PSE by chance?

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:51 am

Best bow ever made ... Elite GTO. 7" BH 33" ATA and 350 fps IBO .

With my lite arrow at 29" draw I was getting the 349 fps.

When I first got the bow it was 84# and I was shooting a 460 gr FMJ at 329 fps .

I gave the bow to my brother in law when I was still married with one stipulation... Never sell it. I'll probably buy a elite envy or another GTO if I get drawn for AZ elk again.

deke

Post by deke » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:09 pm

I never even heard of elite until superbowl sunday, seem to have some pretty nice bows. I was actually looking at the Elite energy 32 or the bowtech insanity cpx as my next hunting rig. Really had my mind set on bowtech till I heard about elite.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:07 am

Buy a 2008... They have larger brace hights and smooth draw. Also still under warranty even though you buy it used. Pretty cool company to stand by used products.