credit card hacker

magspa

credit card hacker

Post by magspa » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:22 pm

My bank called this morning about 5 attempted suspicious purchases. When i was able to speak from them they said the attempt were online trying to purchase from lioncountrysupply. I have ordered several things from them but not in the past 9 months. Luckily the thief couldnt enter the right exp date or code. I called lioncountry and they confirmed and said they also entered all different shipping address. This is really weird that somebody would get my info some how and by gun dog supplies, or somebody knows i shop there and figured it wouldn't look suspicious, or a fellow gundogger hacked my info and really wanted some equipment. Im not saying there is a hacker on this forum but just wanted to let everyone know this happened and to be careful.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Re: credit card hacker

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:20 pm

Should check on who lives at that address. :(

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:01 pm

That's interesting. I got a call two days ago from my bank saying someone had used my card fraudulently to buy AT/T phones/ plans in the USA- $700.00 worth. Going through the process now of having the charges removed. Bank of course has their fraud dept. tracing the phones/ purchases.

edited for a missing word
Last edited by Sharon on Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

rinker

Post by rinker » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:47 pm

I worked at a bank for 25 years, just recently left. That is very unusual. The phone cards are more typical. Maybe they were going to buy items and then attempt to return them for cash.

magspa

Post by magspa » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:56 pm

Yes very weird. I'm kind of freaked out because the whole lioncountry thing.. My bank said they just make sure the card isn't used and notify me to cancel it but does not pursue the case legally..lioncountry said they will check authorize.net

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:43 pm

magspa wrote:Yes very weird. I'm kind of freaked out because the whole lioncountry thing.. My bank said they just make sure the card isn't used and notify me to cancel it but does not pursue the case legally..lioncountry said they will check authorize.net
And it's very inconvenient. First you wait a week or so for an affidavit you have to sign , and send back saying you didn't buy the items or lend your card. Of course your credit card was immediately cancelled , so you have to wait 10 days to get a new card. Most annoying.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:25 pm

Had 3 cards hacked recently, one of which hasent been used in a few months and are currently in the process of changing all of our cards now just so we don't have to deal with this again. It's been a bad year for us and a good year for hackers. We are keeping a close eye on all accounts. If you had 1 card hacked I would recommend changing them all. We created a spreadsheet of all our bills and which cards and accounts pay what so we dont have to spend a few days trying to figure it all out.

Grange

Post by Grange » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:27 pm

I review my monthly statements in detail checking every transaction. I had one card where two months in a row I had an unrecongnized charge, but a credit for that charge on the same statement. I called the credit card company both times. The third month there was an unrecognized charge, but no credit. I cancelled the account that time.

deke

Post by deke » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:16 pm

In the last year my old lady has had two of her credit cards hacked, and a book of checks stolen out of our mail box, and used at random throughout town. Luckily her bank is very helpful, and froze all her accounts and put her money back in within a week. Our business cards get hacked about once a year, but the banks around here are very good about that too.

magspa

Post by magspa » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:55 pm

Luckily all attempts to charge the card failed because they didn't know the 3 digit code or experation date. USAA notified me of the activity first thing in the morning and we canceled card and they fed exd the new one. USAA also said that if the charges did go through they would have refunded the money.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:27 pm

Its not "weird" at all and happens all the time. If you make transactions online, you are subject to being hacked.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:01 pm

magspa wrote:My bank called this morning about 5 attempted suspicious purchases. When i was able to speak from them they said the attempt were online trying to purchase from lioncountrysupply. I have ordered several things from them but not in the past 9 months. Luckily the thief couldnt enter the right exp date or code. I called lioncountry and they confirmed and said they also entered all different shipping address. This is really weird that somebody would get my info some how and by gun dog supplies, or somebody knows i shop there and figured it wouldn't look suspicious, or a fellow gundogger hacked my info and really wanted some equipment. Im not saying there is a hacker on this forum but just wanted to let everyone know this happened and to be careful.
I hate to say this, but it's possibly an employee of LCS or an aquaintance of an employee. I had this happen several years ago with a particular vendor with whom I had only placed a single order. And that was where the fraud originated.

FWIW,
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:45 am

For online purchases I use AMEX. had someone spend 1500 in Texas a few months ago... I haven't been there since basic training .... No paperwork and charges removed before I could even catch them.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:22 am

Sometimes I think some of these vendors don't appropriately dispose of paperwork our credit card numbers are written down on. They toss them in the trash instead of shredding them, and they're stolen that way.

I called to renew a subscription to a magazine several years ago and used a BRAND NEW credit card (never used anywhere before and not used after the subscription renewal), and a week later I had a bunch of small charges on the card that I didn't make.

Now maybe an employee of the vendor stole it...or maybe the employee wrote down my info, processed the renewal, then tossed all my information in the trash, and it was stolen that way. No way to know, but I've never used a credit card with that vendor since.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Boolywooger

Post by Boolywooger » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:16 pm

One thing you might want to verify is that your own PC isn't the culprit. If you don't have your virus protection up to date. It could be a trojan on your PC that is gathering your info for the hackers.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:01 pm

Boolywooger wrote:One thing you might want to verify is that your own PC isn't the culprit. If you don't have your virus protection up to date. It could be a trojan on your PC that is gathering your info for the hackers.
BINGO. Hacking is big business now and I'ts mainly driven by the Russian Mafia. My theft was traced back to a Valeria Yamenko and I only did online banking at a company that spent a lot of money on protection. I would blame a worm before I blamed LCS.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:39 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Its not "weird" at all and happens all the time. If you make transactions online, you are subject to being hacked.
I believe this is the problem. I posted in Feb. about my card being hacked for $700.00 ( got the money back from the bank), now it has been hacked again for $554.00 ( from Singapore). The only thing I purchase on line is video games for the foster child when he has earned the money to buy one. I think this has to end.