Easiest way to clean diamond plate?

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Easiest way to clean diamond plate?

Post by wems2371 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:53 pm

We just got a used aluminum diamond plate dog trailer. What are some good products to clean and shine it up? In the past, with a truck tool box, we used some paste and a buffer. That box didn't have any road type grime on it though. I had read on some other truck forums about a liquid acidic product that comes in a spray bottle or by the gallon, maybe from NAPA, that's suppose to be good for cleaning...and then follow up with the past for the shine. Any product suggestions would be appreciated.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:18 pm

Most trailer dealers provide the service. Probably sell the wash too.

Doug

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Easiest way to clean diamond plate?

Post by shags » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:02 pm

Streakmaster or Metalwax products.

Quailcommando

Post by Quailcommando » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:17 pm

3M Aluminum restorer polish it's about $22 a can but it don't take alot you do it by hand or buffer. Check it on a little spot before doing the whole thing different grades of aluminum react different. We use it every day at work when refurbishing the aluminum on fire trucks to resale and have not had an issue yet but you never know. Aluminum is soft and some road grim will pit it and bleed in stains but most of it should clean up.

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:18 pm

When I was in highschool I worked for Truck-o-mat- in Walcott. We would spray diamond plate on semi's with "brightner" I think its hydrofluoric acid. It worked pretty well I think they will do small vehicles also at least they used to. You might be able to buy it and do it yourself. If I remember it didn't make it more shiny more like a clean almost whiter color. Hope that helps. :D

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:02 pm

a vinager wash will work with a little scrubbing, then i use a buffing wheel on my cordless drill and wenol polish.

I've not found any metal polish that works better than wenol.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:42 am

twofeathers wrote:When I was in highschool I worked for Truck-o-mat- in Walcott. We would spray diamond plate on semi's with "brightner" I think its hydrofluoric acid. It worked pretty well I think they will do small vehicles also at least they used to. You might be able to buy it and do it yourself. If I remember it didn't make it more shiny more like a clean almost whiter color. Hope that helps. :D
We went with something like that. The neighbor does some trucking and had some FPPF wash that we could have for free. We sprayed it on with a spray bottle and the aluminum whitened instantly. It was hard to keep it from streaking and spotting though, even when we tried brushing it on. At one point I was wondering if we shouldn’t have just left it alone, and made a mistake in doing the acid wash. But when we started buffing it with Mother’s Mag & Aluminum polish, after the acid wash, that made all the difference. We used the DeWalt drills with a foam buffing pad. I never quite got the hang of buffing, and was constantly having to go back with a towel and clean up around the diamonds. The husband got it down quite well, and came back and touched up my 1/2 of the trailer. In the end, after several hours in, she really shines. Thanks for the suggestions.

Before and after...

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:32 am

twofeathers wrote:When I was in highschool I worked for Truck-o-mat- in Walcott. We would spray diamond plate on semi's with "brightner" I think its hydrofluoric acid. It worked pretty well I think they will do small vehicles also at least they used to. You might be able to buy it and do it yourself. If I remember it didn't make it more shiny more like a clean almost whiter color. Hope that helps. :D
That's the stuff. brighter helps but if you really want it to shine, after the acid use magic wadding compound to rub it out. You can get magic wadding in most any trk stp. if you plan on some kind of sticker's on it, put them on a flat piece of aluminum attached to the trailer. You want to change them lacquer thinner melts them right off then simply wash with soapy water, looks like new!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:50 am

Looks like a nice rig!