Truck Caps and Dogs

Grange

Truck Caps and Dogs

Post by Grange » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:03 am

For those of you that have Pickups and use a truck cap are you doing anything for dog boxes or anything else that is for dog related stuff? I bought an new pick up and just ordered a new cap for it. The one thing I added on was having the side windows not only have a screen, but also open up. I want something that will be removable because I cut firewood will need the full bed to transport the firewood.

I kind of like what my father built, which is a low platform that runs the length of the bed on only one half or less the width of the bed. The platform is just high enough for a long drawer to store his dog supplies and is pushed again one side. On top of the platform he has three dog boxes secured. Two are facing sideways into the other half of the bed and third, which is closest to the tailgate, is facing the tailgate. I've seen others where the dog boxes are built up so that the boxes are accessible from the side windows of the cap leaving the floor of the bed open for storage.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Re: Truck Caps and Dogs

Post by PntrRookie » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:35 pm

I like seeing bed/cap setups. Some are very unique. If you are interested in a truck bed "base" with slide out drawers and hook ups for electronics. I know if one for sale that is VERY well made. He may even throw in some inverter/electronic "stuff" with it. Let me know. It was sized/made to fit a short box F150.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:13 pm

I had Ainley Kennels build a set of 2 aluminum drawers 48" x 5 1/2 ft x 10". I screwed a bed mat to the top and its been pretty nice. No dog box setup.

Im about to buy a new truck and have been thinking about the the new topper that snugtop is offering with the double doors. Id like hinged side windows with dog screens that stay closed for security when I leave the dogs in the truck but need lots of ventilation.

Grange

Post by Grange » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:43 pm

PntrRookie wrote:I like seeing bed/cap setups. Some are very unique. If you are interested in a truck bed "base" with slide out drawers and hook ups for electronics. I know if one for sale that is VERY well made. He may even throw in some inverter/electronic "stuff" with it. Let me know. It was sized/made to fit a short box F150.
I have a double cab (extended cab) Chevy Silverado 1500 with a 6.5 foot box. I don't have the money to buy something right now. After the truck purchase and the new cap and bed liner I'm going to have to wait until this summer before I do anything.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:37 pm

3/4 inch plywood with 2X2 screwed along the long edges. 2X6s as support on short edges, with casters mounted. Handle fastened to end. Whole thing laid across the wheelwells, and crates placed on the platform. The 2X2s keep the crates from sliding off. Plastic tubs of gear can be stored under the platform. With the casters, the platform can be moved toward the tailgate and pushed back to the front easily.

The set up isn't pretty but it would look better with paint or stain. Our idea was to have something inexpensive, adaptable, and easily removable so we can use the truck for other than dog transport.

Or cap has sliding side windows with screens, and the units pop up for side access. The cap has a front dropdown with a screen. No boot to the cab. The one drawback to our setup is that in rainy warm/hot weather, there's not a good way to ventilate and stay dry back there. Doesn't happen often but when it does it's a pain in the neck. We'll have a fan installed back there this year to see if that helps.

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:11 pm

Check around at some of your smaller car dealers. Sometimes you can pick up "take offs" relatively cheaply. I was able to get this top and bed slider for $600 a couple years ago.

Jay
Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com

hi-tailyn

Post by hi-tailyn » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:41 pm

Built by myself and with a friend with a welder. :wink:

The side wing doors are propped open with a home made bungee hook. The shell has a sliding window between cab and kennels. During warmer months,I slide open the window and prop open side doors, and there is enough circular flow of air to where the dog's ears are moving by the amount of air flowing through the camper. Side windows stay open and are steady with the attachment I made. I can also lower the side doors to where the doors rest on the wood slat and allows less air flow into the camper.
Sliding the front window also regulates how much air flow there is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NASDC 3xNGDC-RU FC AFC Gertrudes Blue Brandi JH (Brandi) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=4915
FC Hi-Tailyn Elektra Fly'n (Elektra)http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4916
Hi-Tailyn Katara (Katara) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4917
Hi-Tailyn Brandi High (Heidi) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4920

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:38 pm

My 5 year old Snugtop has been a good topper. The Ainley drawers are about 6 years old. They work great to keep my vintage guns from getting all the things we take on hunt trips piled on top of them. Also, getting guns and ammo in and out is easy and quick.

But I'm thinking of getting a new truck this year with a slightly longer bed. Over the years I've thought I might prefer single 24" wide drawer so taller things could fit in the other side.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.