Looking for better navigation program for Android

Karen
GDF Junkie

Looking for better navigation program for Android

Post by Karen » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:26 am

HATE HATE HATE the stock maps program. Anyone know of a better app for an android phone? I'll pay...I don't care. I cannot stand the maps program on the phone.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Boolywooger

Re: Looking for better navigation program for Android

Post by Boolywooger » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:44 am

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:44 am

Darn....I'm verizon. It's not compatible.
ImageImage

Boolywooger

Post by Boolywooger » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:07 pm

I've also used Google Maps (that may be your stock map),Mapquest and Scout GPS by Telenav.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:36 pm

I use mapquest or at&t navigator and yellow pages app. as well.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:38 pm

Karen wrote:HATE HATE HATE the stock maps program. Anyone know of a better app for an android phone? I'll pay...I don't care. I cannot stand the maps program on the phone.
I don't know if WAZE is available for Android, but it is a fantastic navigation program because it is constantly updated by people using it. I especially like how it routes you around bad traffic, construction, etc.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:51 pm

Is Verizon Navigator or Google maps the stock app you don't like?' I've used google maps for awhile now and it works well for me (I didn't care for verizon navigator). I especially like the traffic feature, which also taps into WAZE for traffic alerts.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:24 am

80% of the time google maps works great....it's the 10-20% of the time it does whatever it wants that is the problem.

I work in PA on the NJ border. Gas is WAY less expensive in NJ, so I go over the regular toll bridge into NJ (You pay on the way back into PA), get gas, and pick the route on google maps on my phone to get me back to work via the free bridge. 11 miles...(3 miles longer than the toll bridge). So I get 3 miles into the route it tells me to turn left (which was correct), then recalculates, tells me to make the next right, and a right and puts me back on the road I just turned off of! Drives me freaking nuts! So I STILL don't know where the free bridge is coming from NJ, I paid the stupid $1.00 toll and I might as well have gotten gas in PA after paying the toll.

Why let you pick a route if it's not going to stick to it? The last update had it saying "shorter route found, recalculate?". That was fine! Now it's just changing it without any warning! THAT could be a HUGE problem when traveling with the truck & trailer. There are roads we can't fit on and underpasses that are too low.

Anyway, tried Waze a little this past weekend. Have to play around with it a bit. Can't seem to find a way to link it into my contacts.
ImageImage

skyehunter

Post by skyehunter » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:50 am

Gaia, The best ever!!! I use it with a GPS Bad Elf on an iPad (There is an android version). Works flawlessly even in hard to get to spots while off pavement. You can layer different map sources, import /export your adventures, or just plain old navigate to places.....list goes on.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deve ... Inc.&hl=en
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.