Best Shave

bossman

Best Shave

Post by bossman » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:19 pm

These Gillette Proglide blade's getting way too expensive. Even ordered some stuff from Harry's online to give a try. They got pretty good review's. As I get ready for retirement every $$ saved can go toward another trip to Kansas. :) What is everyone else using to get your "best shave" ? Thanks.

Spy Car

Re: Best Shave

Post by Spy Car » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:35 pm

Since inheriting a very nice correction of classic safety razors from my late father-in-law, I've returned to traditional wet-shaving using double-edged blades.

I didn't realize it at the time, but there is a small but significant group of men who are doing the same. In part due to the cost (excellent double edge blades are very inexpensive) but also to enjoy the manly art of the shave which includes the feel of heavy metal razors that is simply unmatched in todays plastic world.

Vintage "butterfly loading" Gillettes and Shicks are soaring in value, but can sometimes be had for a song (if you're lucky).

New razors, like the Edwin Jagger 89L (about $40) or the Edwin Jagger DE3D14 (about $60), lack the butterfly mechanics, but are lovely in their own right. There are fantastic double edge blade made today (and some that are less good).

I love the old school ritual of a wet shave. It is a great shave. And cheap. And muy macho (until the straight-edged guys show up :mrgreen: )

Bill

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:21 am

Spy Car wrote:Since inheriting a very nice correction of classic safety razors from my late father-in-law, I've returned to traditional wet-shaving using double-edged blades.

I didn't realize it at the time, but there is a small but significant group of men who are doing the same. In part due to the cost (excellent double edge blades are very inexpensive) but also to enjoy the manly art of the shave which includes the feel of heavy metal razors that is simply unmatched in todays plastic world.

Vintage "butterfly loading" Gillettes and Shicks are soaring in value, but can sometimes be had for a song (if you're lucky).

New razors, like the Edwin Jagger 89L (about $40) or the Edwin Jagger DE3D14 (about $60), lack the butterfly mechanics, but are lovely in their own right. There are fantastic double edge blade made today (and some that are less good).

I love the old school ritual of a wet shave. It is a great shave. And cheap. And muy macho (until the straight-edged guys show up :mrgreen: )

Bill
I could not have said it better! I have been doing the same thing for about a year and a half and what was once a chore, has become a pleasure. I have gone the whole route...Shaving soap, bowl, brush etc. and even use a straight razor from time to time. :D
Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

bossman

Post by bossman » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:10 am

Great information from you both! What are some of the better double edge blades? Charlie, totally with you on the shaving soap and brush! Looking for a viable alternative to usual mass marketed blades. Thank you both. Additional opinions always appreciated.

jfwhit

Post by jfwhit » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:47 am

Merkur 34C razor. Blades are a personal preference. The sharpest is the Feather. Wouldn't start with that one. A good forum loaded with info is Badger and Blade.

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:05 pm

For blades, best to purchase them from a specialty store online, and get 5 or 10 packs to sample different blades. Blades make a big difference, and tastes can be personal.

A few blades I'd recommend:

1) Personna Reds. Made in Israel. A smooth blade, not "ultra-sharp" but tend not to "bite" newbies.

2) Almost all the Russian made Gillettes.

a) Gillette 7 O'clock Sharp Edge (Yellows). Smooth.
b) Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (Blacks)
c) Gillette Silver Blues
d) Gillette Platinum

3) PolSilver Super Iridiums

4) Voskhod

Avoid: Derby, Dorco, Astra, Treets, Lords, Merkur.

Special Case: Feather. Amazing Japanese blade. Super sharp! One could really mess up with this one. But shaving with a Feather does tend to wake one up.

Bill

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:36 pm

I am retired and no longer see a need to shave. Saves time and money.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:01 pm

jfwhit wrote:Merkur 34C razor. Blades are a personal preference. The sharpest is the Feather. Wouldn't start with that one. A good forum loaded with info is Badger and Blade.
+1. Tons of information there. You have to be careful though and not get caught in the trap of wanting to try every product out there. :lol: After your initial set up, you can pretty much spend as little or as much as you choose.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

bossman

Post by bossman » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:57 pm

Been looking at the site for the last 30 min. Didn't realize there were shaving "aficionado's" on the forum. My next post may have to be on which cigar you smoke after a good hunt. :D Thanks for the help, The Harry's stuff should be in this week. I'll see how it performs with my Art of Shaving cream and let you know. With all your good idea's,it looks like my search for the best shave/razor is start starting.

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:57 pm

Yeah, Badger and Blade could help undo the intended cost savings pretty quickly if equipment lust sets in. Dangerous waters :twisted: :lol:

Bill

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:04 pm

Spy Car wrote:....Dangerous waters :twisted:
That's for sure.....sounds like you all are at the age where a fork could be a problem let alone a sharp bladed razor! :mrgreen:

cr
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:27 pm

That's what I was thinking ; you'd think at their age , shaving would be well understood.

When do we talk about ladies shaving.? :)

( Sorry but it has rained here for a week - 80 cm- and I'm bored to death.... no gardening , no dog running , etc.)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:20 pm

Sharon wrote:That's what I was thinking ; you'd think at their age , shaving would be well understood.

When do we talk about ladies shaving.? :)

( Sorry but it has rained here for a week - 80 cm- and I'm bored to death.... no gardening , no dog running , etc.)
For you may I recommend the classic Lady Gillette?

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Gillette_Lady_Gillette

Bill

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:21 pm

Coveyrise64 wrote:
Spy Car wrote:....Dangerous waters :twisted:
That's for sure.....sounds like you all are at the age where a fork could be a problem let alone a sharp bladed razor! :mrgreen:

cr
Ouch! That hurts worse than a clumsily-handled Feather :mrgreen:

Bill

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:50 pm

Well I'm bearded but what I use to clean up around it is the trusty old sensor excel. I don't like all these 20-bladed razors on the market now, 2 blades is plenty - especially if you have sensitive skin
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:44 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:Well I'm bearded but what I use to clean up around it is the trusty old sensor excel. I don't like all these 20-bladed razors on the market now, 2 blades is plenty - especially if you have sensitive skin
Couldn't agree more
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:26 pm

like Neil I'm retired. Unlike Neil, I like to shave once a week! I go to the Safeway and get their package of 10 or 15 disposables then use one at least three time's.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

The Zephyr

Post by The Zephyr » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:35 pm

=
Last edited by The Zephyr on Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FC AFC Fieldmaster's Montauk Zephyr
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=324

Fieldmaster's Oregon Road Phosphorus
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2833

diplomat019

Post by diplomat019 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:04 pm

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:14 am

The Zephyr wrote:I'll go with the experiential.

Give me a stainless dog dish of hot water, a bowl of soap, a brush, a mirror hanging from a cottonwood and the smell and sound of horses and dogs at dawn.

Any razor will do.

John L.
I'll send ya mine when I'm done with them! LOL
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:14 am

whatever disposable is on sale (and I've probably got enough razors to last til Armageddon). However, I will add a discovery I made about shaving cream. I had run out and ended up using some of my wife's Pure Silk shave cream. I will no longer use anything else. The stuff is great - about as thick a shave cream as you could wish for.

deke

Post by deke » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:03 am

LET THE BEARD RUN FREE

Not only does it keep your face really warm during the winter, but it is really in style right now. :D

bossman

Post by bossman » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:29 pm

Understand what deke is saying. Beards really do seem popular right now. However, I'm enjoying my new process. The PolSilver blades are great. If you have a Whole Foods close, their 365 Glycerin soap makes a great pre-shave conditioner. About a buck fifty a bar...bar seems to last forever. For the ladies in the audience, Mrs. Bossman say's it works great on her legs :oops:

Coveyrise...You were right! Had problems trying a fork. :roll:

Whatever you are doing to get your Best Shave Ever (or not shaving at all), just hope your enjoying the experience. Best of all, getting good bird reports from Kansas

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:59 am

Hey Bossman,

Good to hear the safety razor adventure is going well. The PolSiver blades are nice, yes?

Let us know what you think after you try a Feather.

I envy the good bird reports. The drought here in California is so bad.

Bill

demsdogs

Post by demsdogs » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:26 pm

I am definitely late to join in on this conversation, but about a year ago I switched to Dollar Shave Club. Razors are delivered every month (or every other month if you adjust your settings) right to the mailbox, it's cheap as can be. I do the Executive and I think it is $9.99/mo for four razors. Seriously the best razor I've ever used. They also have a shave butter which has become essential for a non-irritating shave. Just my two cents, check 'em out at www.dollarshaveclub.com

And, no.. I don't work there or anything. Just really love the price and convenience of it all.

CRaul.M01

Post by CRaul.M01 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:58 pm

Just wanna add something to this thread, I know its kinda late too but if you want to know more about them or if you need more recommendations, try checking at this sites:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-filt ... s-for-men/
http://www.mensgroominglab.com/best-ele ... black-men/

bossman

Post by bossman » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:31 pm

Thanks for the additional information. demsdogs..Happy you are satisfied with the Dollar Shave Club. Pretty well settled into my routine and loving it. My "go to" blade's are Voskhod's (about 12 bucks for 100). Rotate between a couple of soaps and creams, two razors and a variety of after shave balms. I find the process extremely relaxing and results are very good, even for an old guy :roll: . I guess the fact is that part of the process takes me back to my youth watching my father shave. For whatever reason, really enjoying and very satisfied with the new process.

As some add on information, Kansas bird reports I'm getting from our guide are encouraging again this year. last year was a very enjoyable year, seeing plenty of quail and pheasant and lots of good dog work. Hope everyone finds lots of birds this year and very few "nicks" ( on your face that is :D )

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:34 pm

I have tried Harry's and dollar shave club and always find myself back at the store buying exlensive schick hydro 5s. From my experience the "online" stuff just doesnt seem to last as long?

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:26 pm

bossman wrote:Thanks for the additional information. demsdogs..Happy you are satisfied with the Dollar Shave Club. Pretty well settled into my routine and loving it. My "go to" blade's are Voskhod's (about 12 bucks for 100). Rotate between a couple of soaps and creams, two razors and a variety of after shave balms. I find the process extremely relaxing and results are very good, even for an old guy :roll: . I guess the fact is that part of the process takes me back to my youth watching my father shave. For whatever reason, really enjoying and very satisfied with the new process.

As some add on information, Kansas bird reports I'm getting from our guide are encouraging again this year. last year was a very enjoyable year, seeing plenty of quail and pheasant and lots of good dog work. Hope everyone finds lots of birds this year and very few "nicks" ( on your face that is :D )
Glad you are liking those Voskhods. Really good double-edged blades. And so cheap.

Bill

bossman

Post by bossman » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:13 pm

Thanks Bill ! Its been enjoyable for sure. Thanks for all your advice in getting me started.

Jerry

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:13 pm

My pleasure Jerry. I just ran out of Voshkods myself, you've reminded me that I should reorder.

Best,

Bill

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:42 pm

I really miss getting a barber shave when I get my haircut. I was never able to do this often, but when I started traveling for business most airports had great barbers that offered a shave also. Hot towel wrap, Soap with a brush, steel edge straight razor, freshly honed on a leather strap, and some great after shave, man that was living at its best! Not to mention most gave you a shoulder message after the shave. When your traveling that picks you right up!

Now days, if you can find one, they charge an arm and a leg, use a regular razor, pre-warmed foamy soap, no towel or one that will scald you out of the microwave, and the skin lotion smell like a French house of.....well you know! Don't waste your money on these....so called shaves!

I use a safety razor and order my soap bar from England, I use my badger brush (soft as a babies behind)....it is a nice way to start the day or end my night.... :mrgreen:

bossman

Post by bossman » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:36 pm

Timewise65...Couldn't agree with you more! Soap from England...Very interesting. I usually order most of my stuff from Maggard Razors ( good selection of soap and creams as well as all shaving stuff). Stirling Soap Company offers some great soaps as well. I like their "Barbershhop" flavor. Thanks for sharing your information. Mind if I ask what kind of soap you are using ?

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:21 am

bossman wrote:Timewise65...Couldn't agree with you more! Soap from England...Very interesting. I usually order most of my stuff from Maggard Razors ( good selection of soap and creams as well as all shaving stuff). Stirling Soap Company offers some great soaps as well. I like their "Barbershhop" flavor. Thanks for sharing your information. Mind if I ask what kind of soap you are using ?
Bossman...I used to travel for business to England quite often, I found this product/company during that time. Now I order on line, they have good selection, good quality and service, but I probably could find the same or another brand that is equal in the USA for less, I just have not looked. Below is the link and types I use...I also use some of the shave creams for when I travel. I will for sure check out the sources you suggest, now that I am retired, saving dollars is real important.....thanks!

http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com ... and-creams

Edwin Jagger shaving soap – for daily use!

GEO F TRUMPER SANDALWOOD SHAVING SOAP – I USE THIS FOR SPECIAL OCCATIONS, I KEEP IT IN A TRAVEL BOWL.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:10 pm

http://www.getjackblack.com/Products/Be ... 1006O.aspx

More important than the blade...this stuff incredible

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Thu May 17, 2018 9:34 am

Very late to the party on this thread, but I just found it and read over it. I'll add my experience with DE wet shaving for the past 4 years or so...

1) I use Feather blades. I tried several, but the Feathers just worked the best for me. For my dad, they're a little too sharp. I think he's using the Personna Reds. Best advice, get a multi-pack, or at least a small quantity of several different blades that you think you want to try out. Start from what's commonly accepted as the duller blades and work your way up to the Feathers (sharpest). Remember or write down how each blade works for you after a few shaves, and when you've run the gamut you can select your personal favorite.

2) Brush. Get a nice one, but you don't have to spend a ton. I had a cheap one from Amazon. Switched to a Simpson Commodore X2 Best Badger (iirc) and it was way better. I think the brush cost me something near $40 on sale or with a coupon or something. Like I said, you don't have to spend hundreds, but go a little more quality than the $10 cheap ones and you'll definitely notice. Oh, and get a brush stand so you can hang your brush upside-down when you're done. It helps save you time and saves your brush.

3) Soap. There's a ton of opinions obviously. I like and use Stirling Soaps. https://www.stirlingsoap.com/collections/shave-soap They're high quality, small batch made, and come in a large variety of scents. You can get them in 1oz sample sizes for pretty cheap too, so you can try out a lot without having a lot of product to go through or waste if you don't like it. Oh, and these aren't just for men. My wife uses these to shave her legs too, and her favorite scents are Almond Creme and Black Cherry. I particularly like Sharp Dressed Man and Pharaoh's Dreamsicle. If you go this route, I've found the best thing to do is to also order some of the plastic shave soap containers that you can refill on your own. They don't leak like the tins, don't rust like the tins, and stay shut when traveling unlike the tins.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

mgrucker

Post by mgrucker » Wed May 30, 2018 10:15 am

Bic Flex 4 disposables are what I've settled on. I like them more than the 80 bladed Gillettes and they are a lot less expensive. I also like them way better than the disposable Gillette 3 blades, I had to throw those out when I got some because it's all the store had.