Hopson or hobson

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Hopson or hobson

Post by cjhills » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:43 pm

In the early sixties when I was in the service I met a dog trainer from Texas whose name was either Hobson or Hopson, I can't recall his first name, probably never knew it. He was the best dog man I ever knew and I still think about things he taught me. He was of course a pointer and setter man so I went a different direction when I got home.
I wondered if any of the old time trialers on here would have any information on him and if he is still living. I am not sure his age but he was somewhat older than Me. I think he would be 90 at least now. He had a lot of plans. I wonder sometimes what he accomplished...Cj

Big Dave

Re: Hopson or hobson

Post by Big Dave » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:04 pm

Hoppy Hopson had a kennel near Alvord, Texas at one time, he was a professional trainer for many years.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:40 pm

Seems like NBHA holds a stake in his honor, meaning he has passed and was a trainer/handler of some standing. He made good on his promise.

http://www.nbhadog.org/stake.php?stakeID=242

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:41 am

Neil wrote:Seems like NBHA holds a stake in his honor, meaning he has passed and was a trainer/handler of some standing. He made good on his promise.

http://www.nbhadog.org/stake.php?stakeID=242
Neil,
Thanks, that explains a lot. He was a huge believer in the complete dog. He thought the honor and retrieve were at least as important as the point.
I am sure he was a bit upset with the NBHA rule changes. Although they were necessary for survival................Cj