Thank you from a Canadian

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Thank you from a Canadian

Post by Sharon » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:52 am

The last of the Navajo Code Talkers has passed on.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/ari ... z/9965201/
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

mask

Re: Thank you from a Canadian

Post by mask » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:54 pm

Thank you for posting this. It won't be long until we hear the last WW two vet has faded into history. I believe that the Canadians have done more than their fair share to keep North America safe. Although they could have sent our draft dodgers packing. Our Vets are heroes that should never forgotten.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:22 pm

I first read about the use of a native American language being employed to talk "in clear" without what was being said being understood by the enemy about 20 years ago . I thought it was very clever.

If the British Government had done the same thing in WW2 using "Broad Scots" I wonder if they would have got a similar result ? My English boss, when I trained Guide Dogs many years ago, wanted me to take elocution lessons . He claimed he couldn't understand what I and another good Scot were saying. He should have listened to himself talk .....he had bools in his moof ! :lol:

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:55 am

The code talkers were a very brave group, they had to be at the front of the fight for communication purposes and because of their oriental appearance they would have been tortured to death by the Japanese if they had been captured. Having worked with many Navajos in my career they were always great to work with even if we disagreed on management issues.

Trek, I believe it was Winston Churchill who said the Americans and British were a people separated by a common language.