Hunting in snow

Bacon1676

Hunting in snow

Post by Bacon1676 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:02 am

I love snow. Mostly because where I live there usually isn't enough of it to cover much of anything and doesn't stay long enough to enjoy. One of my favorite hunts was when it was snowing. Snow was fallingreally slowly straight down and they were the the big fluffy kinds. Lots of fun. Was wondering if anyone else liked hunting in the snow and if there happened to be some pictures to go along wouldn't be the worse thing. :wink:

Max2

Re: Hunting in snow

Post by Max2 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:29 am

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:07 pm

My favorite time to pheasant hunt is after six inches of light fluffy snow. They sit so tight that some of the flushes almost knock you over.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:22 pm

Cockers love snow.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:43 am

Puck, my GWP X Lab, loves snow. Hanna, my GSP, not so much.

DougB

Post by DougB » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:10 am

hard to beat a sunny day, fresh powder, and a dog busting a rooster out of the grass. Not quite as much fun at -20F with a wind blowing down your neck and the snow coming sideways, but it is interesting.

Grange

Post by Grange » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:38 pm

I'm not a fan of hunting in snow. Low temps are much easier to deal with for me and my dogs. Lots of snow make it harder to cover ground and in the grouse woods I wonder about the dangers that lurk below the snow. I had my lab once stop dead in her tracks and start squealing because she ran into a sharp stick buried under the snow. Lucky no major injury was caused, but it could have been much worse. Snow also leads to ice balls between my dogs' toes. The dogs certainly don't like it, especially my setter with her long hair. I still hunt in the snow, but much rather hunt without it.

Pheasanttracker

Post by Pheasanttracker » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:09 pm

I enjoy hunting in snow as long as it doesn't become hard and crunchy resulting in cut pads. My pudelpointer will hunt all day in snow if i let her. she can't get enough of it. Grouse are easier to find in the pines or roosting on poplars in the sun. Pheasant sit tight and even late in the season wont bust on a ringing dog bell. But most of all there are less hunters out. After the warm fall and winter we had this year in PA (up to his past weekend) fair weather hunters flocked the fields right through new year. Last year by 2nd week of december there was empty fields.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:26 am

I love snow but hate hunting in it. This year we haven't got much, been a mild winter. But generally once the snow is here hunting is done because there's too much for walking and too much for the dog. I do like when there's just a bit and its snowing while you're out (early winter) but once you have more than a foot or 2 you might as well pack the gun away for the season. The dog loves it though and spends a lot of time playing in the snow with my daughter. Tried to add photos but for some reason they showed up massive on here.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:15 am

Pheasanttracker wrote:I enjoy hunting in snow as long as it doesn't become hard and crunchy resulting in cut pads. My pudelpointer will hunt all day in snow if i let her. she can't get enough of it. Grouse are easier to find in the pines or roosting on poplars in the sun. Pheasant sit tight and even late in the season wont bust on a ringing dog bell. But most of all there are less hunters out. After the warm fall and winter we had this year in PA (up to his past weekend) fair weather hunters flocked the fields right through new year. Last year by 2nd week of december there was empty fields.

Good comment here! I took my Golden Retriever out quail hunting a few years ago and the ground was covered with hard crusty snow. I soon notice some blood on the snow and checked his feet his pads were cut. I had the vet check him and he said he would be ok, but good we stopped when we did. We use booties now.... :mrgreen:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:08 pm

Timewise65 wrote:
Pheasanttracker wrote:I enjoy hunting in snow as long as it doesn't become hard and crunchy resulting in cut pads. My pudelpointer will hunt all day in snow if i let her. she can't get enough of it. Grouse are easier to find in the pines or roosting on poplars in the sun. Pheasant sit tight and even late in the season wont bust on a ringing dog bell. But most of all there are less hunters out. After the warm fall and winter we had this year in PA (up to his past weekend) fair weather hunters flocked the fields right through new year. Last year by 2nd week of december there was empty fields.

Good comment here! I took my Golden Retriever out quail hunting a few years ago and the ground was covered with hard crusty snow. I soon notice some blood on the snow and checked his feet his pads were cut. I had the vet check him and he said he would be ok, but good we stopped when we did. We use booties now.... :mrgreen:
In all the years we have hunted I never had a problem with snow or ice other than the dogs having to stop occasionally and chew off the snowballs that would build between their toes. Found if I would keep the hair btween their toes clipped it helped considerably. But other than that we never had a problem but agree when the snow gets deep it is hard walking for me and the dogs, but worse for me.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:14 pm

I love hunting in snow, but this week is an example of when NOT to go. Icy crust on the top of the snow = a very possible broken leg etc..
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:41 pm

I definitely do not share your love of hunting in the snow. Fact is, snow sucks on all levels. Bah, humbug.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:14 pm

Next year, buy some Musher's Choice (wax) to prevent iceballs in the feet. Depends on the quality of the snow, of course,as to whether iceballs form. Not as good as boots for your dog, but likely all you'll need. and cheaper. See Amazon.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:39 pm

Snow is great unless there is too much. It keeps those roosters from running and they sit tight under the snow. Here's a photo of my Brittany Elle on point in the snow. There was a rooster buried in the snow right under her nose.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

nhachman

Post by nhachman » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:56 pm

I do enjoy hunting in the snow occasionally, but not if the temp is in the teens or lower. I once hunted in snow that in many places had drifts up to my hips (I'm 6'1") and that was rough. We hunted a little 50 acre spot and that was it for the day. Watching the dogs disappear and then come springing back up out of a hole was entertaining but we didn't see any birds that day.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:13 pm

Nice on Christmas cards and fun for the dogs they love it no matter the breed. As for hunting ? It is not the best for scent and everyone knows where you have been .