Pigeon photo's

DonF
GDF Junkie

Pigeon photo's

Post by DonF » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:01 am

I'd just posted about what some of my bird's looked like in another topic. So decided to post a couple photo's I took yesterday. gonna go out tomorrow and get some more. Both of these are Homer's I let free fly if they want but none get turned loose if a hawk is around and they don't get taken away from home. Tried to put in both side's but not getting it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Pigeon photo's

Post by DonF » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:15 am

This one is the young bird, maybe a month plus old. Never been out of the loft, squeeker. if your buying birds to make a loft this is what you want. Notice the bridge of it's nose has not turned white yet but, it fly's in the loft, eats and drink on it's own. Get new birds like this and when the bridge of it's nose turns white let them free fly and then train them to trap.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:19 pm

I love that red grizzle in the first photo
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:43 pm

When I first got the homer's, the guy I got them from said I needed a little color so I got 5 blues and one red. That first red threw tow red's every time it had chicks. Then from somewhere i got a blue grizzle, had to ask what it was, never aw one before. That grizzle paired up with a red and it's just gone on from there! I'm gonna get a few shot's of some really pretty feral' next. Between feral's and homer's, I've got 80+ birds. All were hatched here except 3 homer's, one i from the original 6 and 2 are volunteer'. One landed here near dead and I picked it up and put in with my other's, very little meat on it's chest, doing well well now. The other showed up a couple year ago and never left. Both have band on them.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:14 pm

I've always been partial to grizzles. When I was young and kept rollers I had a few baldies and some almonds as well - a real nice colour. Even had a mosaic bird (half one color, half another)... neat looking bird but I didn't feed him for too long as he never rolled. I'm just getting ready to move into a new house and going to build a loft asap, haven't actually kept birds in a few years - just buy a dozen or so at a time for training. I will probably have some homers but I'm thinking of getting tipplers.... they are endurance flyers - sometimes 20+ hours in the air, plus they are generally very colorful - grizzles are dominant. And I'm sure the culls would be just as good for dog training as a homer cull would be.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr