Smokin Meat

GSPONPOINT32

Smokin Meat

Post by GSPONPOINT32 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:02 pm

Broke out the smoker for the first time this fall. Started with a lay-up pork butt. Turned out great!

Anyone have any wild game smoking recipes to share?
IMG_1024.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

deke

Re: Smokin Meat

Post by deke » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:08 pm

What kind of meat are you thinking? I got binders full of recipes from a butcher that I deer hunt with.

GSPONPOINT32

Smokin Meat

Post by GSPONPOINT32 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:23 pm

I've done most game animals. If you have a good venison recipe I'm always willing to try something once

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:53 pm

I transitioned to a dehydrator. I like smoked stuff warm right out of the smoker but refrigerated, not so much.

I had a nice set up this Monday morning and bagged a brace of canadas that will make some fine jerky. I usually make it peppered.

BTW my setter, who got left behind while dad drove off in the truck with a shotgun at 4:30 a.m.,felt as though his contract was grossly violated!

deke

Post by deke » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:52 am

Venison hmmm my favorite one is summer sausage. So ill start with that one.

Go get a pork shoulder and/or pork butt, the fattier the better.
Whatever your weight on the pork shoulder pull out equal amount of deer.
Cut it all into little chunks and run it through the grinder once, with your biggest plate on, mix meat by hand in a big bowl
add salt I do 30lb batches and use a full cup of salt ( use sea salt, no iodized ) Adjust your salt for your Lb's 1/3 cup per ten pounds
2 table spoons of meat cure. this is one that I guess on, I have always made big batches, so if you make smaller batches you may have to lower amount of cure.
3 table spoons mustard seed 1 table spoon per ten pounds
1/2 cup of sugar
1/4 cup of dried jalapenos ( more or less depending on how spicy you like it, you technically dont need it)
3 table spoons of black pepper
Mix with hands and then run back through the grinder on your smallest setting

Put mixture in a pan, cover and then let sit in refrigerator for 3 or four days

pull out and pack into casings, I use the three inch variety. but its completely up to you.

get smoker at 140 degrees, I use apple and alder wood for my chips
Once smoker is at a consistent 140, hang sausages and leave them in there for 1 hr. This is where you get the good smoke flavor so make sure when you added the sausage you had a fresh tray of chips.
After the first hour turn smoker up to 180
Now is where you gotta start paying attention, keep checking internal temp of the sausage, when it gets to 160 degrees in the center you are done.
Pull your sausage and dunk them in a bucket of ice water to stop the cooking, I leave all of mine in the bucket until Im confident that they are cooled down ( usually ten - twenty minutes)

Now you can eat them or freeze them.

Another option if you are daring is to forgo the dried jalapenos and instead add fresh jalapenos and shredded cheddar cheese. Im still trying to perfect that little recipe, its a bit trickier trying to get the right spread throughout the sausage.

AAA Gundogs

Post by AAA Gundogs » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:32 pm

You know I've never had much luck doing the low andown slow hot smoke method of BBQ with anything out of the deer family or hegs. A nice fatty fall bear or a deer/hog/fowl sausage is a different story.

The way that I've been doing most of my game is sous vide. It's a game changer. Everything comes out super tender and moist.

deke

Post by deke » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:52 am

AAA Gundogs wrote:You know I've never had much luck doing the low andown slow hot smoke method of BBQ with anything out of the deer family or hegs. A nice fatty fall bear or a deer/hog/fowl sausage is a different story.

The way that I've been doing most of my game is sous vide. It's a game changer. Everything comes out super tender and moist.

Have you tried putting a pan of water in your smoker, or brushing with butter as you go, seems to keep it moist. I just did a deer roast in the smoker this weekend and it turned out amazing