Dog studies??

luvthemud

Dog studies??

Post by luvthemud » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:49 pm

Does anyone else sort of scratch their head at all the recent findings that have come out in the last few years regarding our canine companions?

Just last week it was announced that dogs can....get this....understand us when we talk to them??
http://www.abcactionnews.com/newsy/dogs ... credit-for

last year the groundbreaking finding was that dogs can sense human emotion!

I appreciate the fact that we are trying to learn more about them and all, but......who has to be told that dogs can understand the words we say and the emotion in which we say them?? Shouldn't all dog owners know this? Perhaps I am missing something but I am constantly thinking "they spent time and money researching THAT?"

mnaj_springer

Re: Dog studies??

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:32 pm

I get what you're saying, but there's a lot of things that people think everyone should know, or on the other hand, something that everyone "knows," but it either needs to be proven scientifically or disproved before people actually start thinking clearly. And sometimes those basic things also need to be proven so there can be expansion on it. Some examples include gravity, and many other aspects of physics.

To be clear, I'm not arguing with you. Sometimes I say the same thing: "They needed a study to prove that?!?!" But apparently they did!
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:00 pm

I reckon if you dropped a dog off an aeroplane in a parachute over Papua New Guinea if it came across another dog they would both get on. If You dropped a Human with a parachute from a plane over Papua New Guinea and they came across someone with a bone through their nose ,they would eat them.

Perhaps it's just a geography thing :) ..
Or maybe requires an experiment

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:40 am

In general I am not a fan of "studies." I think too many of them are nonsense things devised by folk that don't really want to do any real work !

About 4 centuries ago a certain Scottish king did a study. He had heard the theory that if children are never taught any language and never hear speech , they will speak Latin ! :roll: He conducted a study of this by stranding two babies on a remote Scottish island with a dumb nursemaid.

The children grew up and.....surprise , surprise, they couldn't speak at all ! The king was not pleased with this study's results and declared it flawed as the children used were commoners and were therefor very limited in intelligence ! That's studies for you............ :roll:

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !