pro sports

MNTonester

pro sports

Post by MNTonester » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:07 am

I refuse to watch the tatted up thugs inhabiting the NBA; rarely watch the NFL anymore for much the same reasons (although I do watch the playoffs/Super Bowel); still watch MLB when I can; will never watch the boring soccer or NASCAR. But, over the last few years, I've really come to enjoy the PGA tournaments. I'm sure plenty find it boring, but it's amazing to me some of the shots these gents make out of difficult places and the number of them that seem to be able to hole a shot from some distance. Well that's my .02 and thought maybe Off Topic could use a topic

Timewise65

Re: pro sports

Post by Timewise65 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:04 pm

I am like you....as a young man I played basketball and therefore enjoyed watching the pro's. But after the finesse left the game, remember 'Pistol Pete Merivich (sp?)' His jump shot was an 'art form'. I slowly stopped watching the game. Now I never watch or go to a game. I also played football and baseball through High School so I loved watching baseball both professional and college and same for Football. I still love college baseball and football. I live in a professional baseball city and the Royals have played some pretty good baseball over the last 2-3 years, but I am frustrated that the majority of players are not American? What has happened to the American Baseball dominance? We invented the game and now fewer and fewer of our players make into the 'bigs'...therefore I am watching it less. Football, until last year, was my top spectator sport! I was getting a bit sick of the players union and all the crud they put forward, but last year when they started setting during the National Anthem, well that did it for me! I will probably watch a few games, but if that stop playing the National Anthem at NFL games....I am outta here!

College games are still very good and most of the kids come to play. They stopped them from praying before or during a game....I expect the Div. I schools to try and stop the National Anthem also....and I will then not watch the games anymore....

PC is killing our traditions and foundations of our country.....so I will focus on working and hunting with my dogs.....but is they try and take my gun away from me they will have to take it from my cold dead hand..... :mrgreen:

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:11 am

My wife says I will watch anything with a uniform or ball. I don't believe it but I do like sports. College much more than pro. But my by a long shot favorite is ice hockey. It is fast, physical and requires so many skills both mental and physical.

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:41 pm

I have to admit this years NHL playoffs and Stanley Cup were very good

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:20 pm

Love the NFL...I hate the way politics have become a part of it. Was a huge Twins fan growing up, lots of hours logged on a tractor listening to them play...now I simply follow them in the paper, and take in a game or two a year at the ball park. Quite watching hockey when the North Stars packed up an left, and the T-Wolves when KG left town. The tattoos don't bother we one bit, it's main stream culture right now. Never understood soccer nor do I have any desire to learn... I will watch the last ten laps of a NASCAR race, but the can't even get people watching bowling or golf on TV....why's it even called a sport? As far as attending a game, it's hockey hands down, followed by high school football.

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:24 am

Nike, I grew up playing hockey in NE MN. To me the finest sporting event in this country is the MN state boys high school hockey tournament. I'm really happy to see SW MN has started to place some teams in the tournament and end up rooting for them simply for their underdog status.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:36 am

Nike, Moving the North Stars to Texas was blasphemy. Hockey culture in MN is the greatest thing there is and I agree the state high school championships are one of the greatest sports events in America.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:32 am

Favorite?…small town high school football…..on the radio, while driving home after an upland day behind a birddog’s tail….window down, cool air flowin’ in.
Otherwise, WVU games.

NASCAR used to be good when Cale was poppin’ his nose with Donnie’s fist.
Then, it became all about the stupid Chase, entertainment cautions, multi-car teams and, especially, drivers and racers who prefer playing video games in their off time.
When NASCAR was all about races within races and guys like Buddy Baker sat in the seat…it was fine.

GSP4ME

pro sports

Post by GSP4ME » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:59 am

Tatted up thugs? Not sure what their tats have to do with anything - more of a national trend than anything else. I'm even more confused about why you would think them thugs. Is Lebron gangbanging in his spare time. Westbrook selling crack in the offseason? Steph curry pimping out his wife? The NBA right now is pretty "bleep" squeaky clean with well spoken stars representing the league well around the world. In this age of social media and youtube they pretty much have to be. As in all walks of life, there are no doubt a few not toeing the line but thugs? Hardly. Sure they're different than the guys I grew up watching but that's the case with all things.

Anyway, If you're a fan of basketball and aren't watching right now, you're missing some of the greatest players the game has ever had and I dont say that as someone ignorant of the history of the game.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:30 pm

As a Canadian , hockey and baseball I watch almost daily. BlueJays didn't have a good year, but they may get a wild card playoff berth.

Watch those young guns on the Toronto Maple Leafs this year. We may make the Stanley Cup Playoffs. :)

PS Patrick Kane put on quite the show tonight. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:31 am

Personally I believe this is the best time to watch pro sports. The athletes are remarkably more athletic and more talented than in generations past. Sure the styles have changed in the games, but change is part of the sports culture. If things didn’t change there’d be no dribbling in basketball and the “hoop” would be a peach basket. And in football the forward pass would not exist and they’d still be wearing leather helmets. I know I’m being facetious, but the point is change has made the games better throughout history (overall).

As for the “thugs” and politics... these guys can only get away with so much these days, in the age of smartphones and social media... imagine if Babe Ruth or Mickey Mantle had cameras on them nonstop, and those pictures and videos were immediately available to for the nation to see. And I say this as a huge Yankees fan. Also, politics were inserted into pro sports when reporters asked questions and the government paid money to give the impression of patriotism prior to games. To expect private citizens who have the attention of the nation to not share their personal beliefs is ridiculous. The outrage people have expressed is unrelated to the message and more related to the messenger.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:38 pm

Blue Jays are done.

Great hockey game tonight x2
Those young guns ( Connor McDavid, Austin Mathews) are a joy to watch.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:22 pm

I wish I were a football fan so I could quit watching. Alas. Haven't watched for quite a while. Say, how's Joe Namath doing this season?

However, I am a serious well-informed boxing fan with a good personal background in the sport. One of the many good things about it that you have a range of weight levels so it doesn't require inheriting a specific size to compete. And, while some weight divisions will always be more talent-rich than others, it is certainly a growing sport with more televised fight cards -- and good ones -- every year. "Boxing is the sport to which all other sports aspire." --George Foreman