One year

DonF
GDF Junkie

One year

Post by DonF » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:32 pm

Today is one year since I lost my Bodie.

I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Robbw

Re: One year

Post by Robbw » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:28 pm

Sad to lose our hunting buddies. I'm sure you have some great memories.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:54 pm

He is beautiful, Don.

The older I get, the harder it is to lose them.

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:04 pm

Sorry to hear of this anniversary. It is never easy.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:34 pm

Sorry to hear that Don. Hope the last year has eased the pain for you and the dogs.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:11 pm

Sorry for your loss Don. I'm kind of in the same boat. Lost my Elle a year ago Nov, 22nd. Still miss and think about her every day. Taken way too soon, she had just turned 8 the week before cancer got her.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

Fozzie's Mom

Post by Fozzie's Mom » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:30 am

What a handsome devil he was! Losing our best buddy is never easy, and they sure stay with us for a very long time to come. I'm so sorry you're still feeling that pain. It speaks for how strong your bond was.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:41 am

Good thing about being eighty. You can keep a pup and be fairly sure you will not have to worry losing him or having to put him down.......Cj

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:55 am

(((Brodie)))

....just before my pops got sick from cancer a little cocker spaniel named sammy needed a home. My folks took him in and he immediately GLUED himself to my dad. Sammy followed him everywhere and my dad loved that little dog like no other he had ever owned. Pops died two years later and sammy brought him to the other side with a love from a dog like he had never known and I will always be indebted to Sammy.

Now the weird twist.

My setter Whip is like no dog I've ever had. Same thing....annoyingly in my back pocket at ALL times. When I come home from work I have to literally restrain him on the couch so he doesn't excitedly rake my face with his paws. He screams and howls and licks at me for a full 3 or 4 minutes every day that I come home. I love him like no dog I've ever owned and it gets me to wonder....did the good lord send him to me to guide me to the other side just like my dad? It truly does not come from a morbid place and I'm just 57 but pops only made it to 61 so who knows?

If I was to pass away in the next decade, the only perk is that I won't have to bury Whip!

....didn't mean to hijack your thread Don, cjhill's post reminded me of that. What a beautiful dog Brodie was.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:30 am

ya I still miss him. I've started thinking recently though about a new pup. Squirt is 11 this year and Stormy is five. I', 72 and figure I'll out live both of them. So new pup is in the works, maybe next spring. Only problem then is I really want me pup to go the day before me. I can't help but think leaving would be hard on the pup and I know of no one that would take care of it like I do my dog's, they get used to being spoiled! My son would be good but he has a wife that's not really a dog person, that won't work for me. I know what their death does to me, I suspect mine might do the same to them. My dad have a dog when he died, older dog. One of my brother's took her home and gave her a good home but she wasn't the same after losing Dad. They think she died of a broken heart, I really don't want that to happen to one of mine. The other side is if she dies the day before me and it won't hurt as long!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:43 pm

Don, my last two Britts have left in the past couple of years and I miss them a whole lot. I want another but I just can't do that knowing my wife or someone will have to take care of it. But time in the field behind a good dog is probably the greatest sorrow I have as it is impossible for me to get out with them. I made it to 85 a couple of months ago and have now been diagnosed with Bone Cancer so I have to make myself to be content with the wonderful memories of the dogs and the people who I have introduced to our sport. I still am trying to fly my pigeons but I don't think I could even manage that if it wasn't for the help of Kath as she is doing much of the work while I try to teach her the feeding and training routine they require if you are going to be competitive. Just not easy getting old but I still think it beats the alternative.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

BuckeyeSteve

Post by BuckeyeSteve » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:40 am

Ezzy.... I'm so sorry to hear that. My sister quoted me a Buddhist mantra yesterday (we are dealing with some family health issues also and were talking about coping and dealing with what's happening and what's coming).
"I am of the nature to grow old.
There is no way to escape growing old.

I am of the nature to have ill-health.
There is no way to escape having ill-health.

I am of the nature to die.
There is no way to escape death.

All that is dear to me and everyone I love
are of the nature to change.
There is no way to escape being separated from them.

My actions are my only true belongings.
I cannot escape the consequences of my actions.
My actions are the ground on which I stand."

Having a life of helping and caring for others, and being the good person that from my limited view of you on this forum leads me to believe you are, should hopefully help you feel peace with where you are and what will someday come for all of us. I appreciate the help you've given me as a newbie just through this forum and can't imagine the amount of help you've given others around you in your real life. I hope that things go well and your wife, friends, and loved ones have continued meaningful times with you for as long as possible.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:53 am

ezzy333 wrote:Don, my last two Britts have left in the past couple of years and I miss them a whole lot. I want another but I just can't do that knowing my wife or someone will have to take care of it. But time in the field behind a good dog is probably the greatest sorrow I have as it is impossible for me to get out with them. I made it to 85 a couple of months ago and have now been diagnosed with Bone Cancer so I have to make myself to be content with the wonderful memories of the dogs and the people who I have introduced to our sport. I still am trying to fly my pigeons but I don't think I could even manage that if it wasn't for the help of Kath as she is doing much of the work while I try to teach her the feeding and training routine they require if you are going to be competitive. Just not easy getting old but I still think it beats the alternative.

Ezzy
You hang in there Ezzy! Have you heard of Herb Anderson? First time I met him was at an AF shooting dog stake. At the time he was 92 yrs old and running his own dog. He dismounted at each find and flushed. Then he remounted. Ran a one hour stake. We lost him a few years later but what an inspiration! Never give up! Your a good man!

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:44 am

I remember when you bought him as a pup for your son, I believe. So sorry Don. Besides the memories and time with him you have some outstanding pictures of him too.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.