ticks

Sharon
GDF Junkie

ticks

Post by Sharon » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:20 pm

Spent the evening in emerg last night( all walk in clinics closed??). My husband had 4 embedded ticks - and I mean embedded. I could not remove them. 2 were on his face! The Dr said he was wise to come in - they were deer ticks . He got the appropriate antibiotics. Interesting place emerg. It was like PD Live in there last night.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: ticks

Post by shags » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:29 pm

My old ball and chain is a tick magnet too. He needs a Seresto collar :lol:

God bless ER staff...they have to be special people to do what they do.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:17 am

I get tick's really bad around here. Several years ago, I started spraying down my cloth's with the spray I was using on the dog's, really cut down on them big time. Sprayed my pants from the belt down! Past couple of years I got tags and this year collar's for tick's and not a one on the dog's this year. Had just one on me. Tags and collars for the dogs and spray for me. I might add that until this year I'd been turning chicken's loose out there and chicken's seem to really love tick's. Have some local dog's that have taken the tick's side thougn so have had to lock up my chicken's till the people get a handle on the dog's. Don't be shy about the spray, really seem's to work and I make sure I get plenty on.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:00 am

Well Da*n. Got my first tic off a dog this morning. Came off of Missy and she also wears a tic collar! Don't know if I ever put a photo of her in here. She stopped in for a drink and a bite to eat about a year ago and never left. I guess no one else want's her but I do!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:27 pm

Beautiful pic!

Norm now has second degree infected tick bites. If this antibiotic doesn't work, he has to go into the hospital for IV antibiotics. Can't believe this has turned out to be such a big deal.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

DougB

Post by DougB » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:42 am

The Soresta collars seem to work well for ticks and fleas, but they are not quick killers. Ticks take a while and can fall off and walk a bit before death. If your dog is in the house, you can find one crawling on the furniture. Kind of ruins an evening.
I am going to spray the dog with deet before going into the woods or deep grass just because.
Why own a dog? There's a danger you know,

You can't own just one, for the craving will grow.

There's no doubt they're addictive, wherein lies the danger.

While living with lots, you'll grow poorer and stranger.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:42 pm

My man is now on IV antibiotics. Take every precaution for yourself out there friends.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:36 am

We had a NSTRA trial near Oakes, ND over Memorial Day weekend. So far, two of the people that were at the trial were infected by deer ticks and are on antibiotics. Normally we don't see deer ticks out here in the prairie area. Always lots of brown or dog ticks but not the little deer ticks. I haven't heard of any dogs being infected.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:16 am

I have no idea what kind of ticks we have here. Aren't supposed to be any of the lime disease around though. If I pull a tick and don't get the head out it does get a bit infected but not to bad. Last time I had one dig in on me, I pulled it and lest the head. Used a pocket knife and scraped the head out. The da*m thing's do bother me!

Life of Riley

Post by Life of Riley » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:46 pm

I'm really surprised he got them on his face???? I think I'd feel or see that before they got embedded.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:38 pm

He 's not too bright sometimes - and neither am I I guess because I didn't see them. :oops:

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:14 am

Thinking abut this, I remember years ago we would cover an embedded tick with grease and it would back itself out. grease cut's off all the air and the tick can'e breath. Haven't done that in years.