I champion the use of dogs for all kinds of hunting.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: I champion the use of dogs for all kinds of hunting.

Post by Sharon » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:36 pm

Thank you.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:18 am

cjhills wrote:
mnaj_springer wrote:Just to clarify the law here in Minnesota, I'll quote from the hunting regulations: "No persons may allow their dog to chase or kill big game. Between January 1 and July 14, a dog observed wounding, killing, or pursuing in a way that endangers big game may be killed by any person....."

Then it goes on to say a peace officer has that authority all year.

Living in north-central Minnesota, I definitely won't be shooting someone's dog for this. It would have to be something egregious for me to do that. Now, I would definitely confront the owner!
Living very near you and knowing the people and traditions of north central Minnesota. I would proceed very carefully with confronting some dog owners. You best leave that to the Conservation Officers. Be aware we are not talking legally,hunting dogs. Most are pets that are allowed to free range and their owners would never believe they are killing game on there own. It always amazes me that people let their dogs out in the morning and don't see them 'til noon and think they are being good little dogs. They Ain't.....Cj
Confront has a negative connotation, but I didn't mean it in that sense. I would let them know what I saw and also let them know about the law. If it continued I'd tell them again and be sure they understand I'm not going to kill their dog, but someone, or a CO might.

I know my neighbors fairly well and know their dogs. I doubt it would go beyond, "Hey I saw your dog chasing a deer today. You may want to keep an eye on that."
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

Bowguy

Post by Bowguy » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:52 pm

Deer dogs I don’t use but I agree all game dogs are great. https://youtu.be/lQtTi4uETf4

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:39 pm

Jon is no longer a member so there is no longer a need to respond to his thread.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.