Seek dogs with the hearts of American soldiers:

JonBailey

Seek dogs with the hearts of American soldiers:

Post by JonBailey » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:28 am

...brave but gentle heroes

I am a fussy man. My requirements for dogs are more than "just being able to hunt". They have to please my eye, behave well, be in good health and also perform satisfactorily in the game fields. They also have make decent companions and act in a socially-acceptable fashion.

Any good (competent) foxhound of mine for trailing wounded deer must not be necessarily ornery (naughty) and bite the hands of children who pet him or her. An affectionate retriever that licks my face to death must not still balk at picking up downed doves with their bitter taste and soft easily-detached feathers that mess up his mouth. He'd better earn his dog food, bacon treats and vet expenses in the field and not be stubborn or a lazy loafer.

Yes, counting lucky stars, you might think I want a Five- or even a Six-Star Dog (or Dogs).

I can expect to pay at least $300 per star for any purebred pup from a reputable breeder who breeds serious hunting dogs that seems to offer promise to fulfil my requirements.

Hunting dogs are like American soldiers: they have to stand tall and look sharp in garrison in-ranks inspection (or on the show bench) but be down, dirty, brave, tough, fast, deadly and hard-charging on the battlefield (or in the game field). A total weapon. A complete razor. They have to do as they are told. Obedient to commands. Dogs also have to hold still and shut up when so commanded by their handlers just as a soldier has to shut up and be still at attention. If they have families (or masters) at home, they still have to be gentlemanly, sociable and amicable. Indeed, a tall order.

A dog has to look good through good breeding, good diet, good grooming, good vet care and good exercise. A soldier can look good by wearing a sharp uniform, clean shined shoes, good posture, a chest thrusted out and a belly sucked in, a clean haircut, a lean build and a clean shave. A dog has to act good through good training and firm disciplinary action.

Soldiers get this on their bottom ends firmly from drill sergeants with iron-toed boots. Perhaps, dogs get this thru e-collars on their tender necks.

mnaj_springer

Re: Seek dogs with the hearts of American soldiers:

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:33 am

Jon, do you ever watch The Office? Have you seen that episode which mentions that Creed has a blog that Ryan set up for him? ....Yeah, someone should do that for you.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:44 pm

Hounds with child.jpg
When the Op ever actually gets a dog of any kind ..ever.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JonBailey

Post by JonBailey » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:44 pm

polmaise wrote:
Hounds with child.jpg
I can't afford dogs right now. All I can do is study up them, ask
questions, impart some of my wisdom to others as a kind soul
and dream about walking with a gun over a pooch of my own.

I've owned four Labs and one beagle, all AKC, over my lifetime. Only pets, not hunters.

The house was always full of dogs when I was a boy.

An utter dog pile. Up to ten pooches at one time. No kennel license either in CA.

The neighbor next door had a kennel next door full of German Shepherds which I earned an allowance
for as their caretaker while the owners were away for two years in my HS years.

The only dogs I have now are several resin models of them.

Before I get old and meet my Maker my next dog quest shall be serious dogs for the taking of game.
I still have an iron in the fire for that chance.
"Let Hercules himself do what he may, the cat will mew and dog will have his day." - William Shakespeare

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:58 pm

Did Jon ever get a solid answer on where he should pee during hunts? I worry about him wandering around in a field somewhere, under considerable duress and without a clear strategy.

Can't make some of this stuff up. And it just keeps coming....

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:23 pm

Jon:
You are aware of what else the dog licks be fore he licks your face, aren't you? Also he has probably ate poop and whatever rotten things he could find before he licked your mouth . Might not be the healthiest thing to do. Or maybe it is.....Cj

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:50 am

cjhills wrote:Jon:
You are aware of what else the dog licks be fore he licks your face, aren't you? Also he has probably ate poop and whatever rotten things he could find before he licked your mouth . Might not be the healthiest thing to do. Or maybe it is.....Cj
So true! My dogs are disgusting!

Yesterday, one of my dogs ate my toddler's vomit off of the floor. In the field they eat deer poop like it's a delicacy. In the spring, they roll in bear scat. I don't want their tongues on me.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:19 am

mnaj_springer wrote:
Yesterday, one of my dogs ate my toddler's vomit off of the floor.
You said that like it was a bad thing. :roll:

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:10 am

slistoe wrote:
mnaj_springer wrote:
Yesterday, one of my dogs ate my toddler's vomit off of the floor.
You said that like it was a bad thing. :roll:
I found it funny, but I wasn't there at the time. Then again, my wife was not as amused!
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:28 pm

JonBailey wrote:
polmaise wrote:
Hounds with child.jpg
All I can do is... impart some of my wisdom to others as a kind soul....

Now THAT is truly humorous. A tad pretentious and borderline ridiculous...but funny nonetheless.

Good one... Jon.

RayG

Middlecreek

Post by Middlecreek » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:22 pm

JonBailey wrote:
I can't afford dogs right now.
I have a solution!!!!! Spend the hours you waste thinking up goofy questions and scenarios working. That should more than cover the cost of your four legged companion....
FC/RU CH SM Queen High Flush (Abby) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3815
2xCH/2xruCH FC BDK's Sin City Wildcard (Deuce) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2269

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:19 pm

Jon:
The members have gone out of their way to express themselves without calling you names etc. Apparently, you don't understand that they are not pleased with your thread topics. I believe you mean well, but are truly off track here with most of your non questions. I would ask you to only start a new THREAD once a week , otherwise , for the sake of the whole community, the delete button is going to have to get active on my computer. I have posted this publicly instead of by PM ( of which I have sent you several) because the community needs to know we have have heard their concerns.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett