Short summer.

DougB

Short summer.

Post by DougB » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:11 am

Rained yesterday. Robins playing in the yard and a nest with 5 eggs in the entryway. Grass was greening up and trees starting to bud.

Can not see across the street now. Went to the store at 8AM and the streets were clean and dry. but at 9, the front moved in with snow. Ground is now covered, schools are closing, it keeps getting heavier, and the wind is picking up. Life on the prairie. You can see the bad weather coming for miles.
Supposed to have interesting weather for 3 days.
Why own a dog? There's a danger you know,

You can't own just one, for the craving will grow.

There's no doubt they're addictive, wherein lies the danger.

While living with lots, you'll grow poorer and stranger.

ON Honker Hunter

Re: Short summer.

Post by ON Honker Hunter » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:33 pm

Snowed hard yesterday morning here in NW Ontario but it's almost all gone today ... all of it that fell yesterday that is. Still a three foot drift in the front yard. Saw first geese of the year here three days ago. Yesterday it was blizzarding in Montana while a wildfire on one of the reservations was burning everything up. Weird. I also see in the news that the elk herd at Yellowstone has dropped 24% over the winter. Guess I can pretty much forget about any improvement in pheasant hunting there this season. Didn't think it could get worse than 2018 but maybe I was wrong. The state should just cancel the antelope draw altogether. Successive bad winters have about wiped them out entirely. In six weeks I only saw one small herd last year. Normal years I often see hundreds a day. I'm sure the relatively abundant East Side deer population has taken a big hit too. I decided to head to Africa to hunt plains game this year. May as well since it looks like it will be slim pickings on this continent.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:17 pm

Are Northern members snowed in?

Blizzard barrels through U.S. Great Plains, threatening new floods

Warm spring temperatures on Tuesday gave way to heavy snow, gale-force winds and life-threatening conditions on Wednesday across a swath of the central United States running from Colorado to Minnesota, the National Weather Service said.

“This is potentially a life-threatening storm,” said Patrick Burke, a meteorologist with the NWS Weather Prediction Center in Maryland.

This week’s storm also qualified as a bomb cyclone and could lead to further flooding, said Weather Prediction Center meteorologist Marc Chenard.

The slow-moving storm on Wednesday dumped snow on parts of Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota, North Dakota, Wyoming, Minnesota and Wisconsin, Chenard said by phone. Some areas had already received more than 1 foot of snow.

Colorado Governor activated the National Guard, which planned to deploy 24 vehicles, including tactical trucks, for possible missions to rescue stranded people, the agency said in a statement.

Residents throughout the north-central United States could expect downed trees, widespread power outages, road closures and treacherous driving conditions, Burke said.

Some areas of western Minnesota and southeast South Dakota could see as much as 30 inches of snow before the blizzard winds down.

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:56 am

Good Lord!

This has been an unbelievable stretch of weather hereabouts also, but nothing like what you are getting. Since the fall it has been screwy. Up, down, sideways and backward, pretty much all at the same time. Just nuts.

We are looking at 70+ degrees this weekend up in NJ and the dogs will have their tongues hanging out I am sure, because they are not used to it. This morning it was 40 degrees.

Hang in there...at least the white stuff will melt fairly quickly. Be safe.

RayG

ON Honker Hunter

Post by ON Honker Hunter » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:18 pm

The storm is not here yet (NW Ontario) but wind has picked up and temperature is dropping by the second. We are told to expect school closures tomorrow, and when they close them here it is BAD, not the wimpy skiff of white stuff that sends agencies scrambling Down East. We were supposed to have 13 cm today but it hasn't happened ... not yet anyway. Yes, I think this coming hunting season is a write-off for sure.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:28 pm

ON Honker Hunter wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:18 pm
We were supposed to have 13 cm today but it hasn't happened ... not yet anyway.
Is a "cm" the one that's 39 inches or .4 of a mile? Either way, 13 seems like a lot!

birds

Post by birds » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:24 pm

ON Honker Hunter wrote:
The storm is not here yet (NW Ontario) but wind has picked up and temperature is dropping by the second. We are told to expect school closures tomorrow, and when they close them here it is BAD, not the wimpy skiff of white stuff that sends agencies scrambling Down East. We were supposed to have 13 cm today but it hasn't happened ... not yet anyway. Yes, I think this coming hunting season is a write-off for sure.
Yep. Won't be bird in the country. :cry:
Steve007 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:28 pm
ON Honker Hunter wrote:
We were supposed to have 13 cm today but it hasn't happened ... not yet anyway.
Is a "cm" the one that's 39 inches or .4 of a mile? Either way, 13 seems like a lot!
You're thinking of meters and kilometers. A centimeter equals about .4 of an inch.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:56 pm

Just started here about noon. Dogs love it. Me. Not so much. It will be gone in a few days. Basically a cold rain...….Cj

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:39 am

My yard was completely cleared of snow. It was fantastic. Ducks, geese, and swans had moved back in and were hanging out on rivers and small potholes that opened up. I hadn't been out to find any woodcock, but I assume they made it up.

Now there's a bunch of snow and it's still snowing. Also, there was THUNDER and LIGHTNING during the snow? Weird.

Anyway, it will be gone soon enough, but it's tough to sell boats in a blizzard!
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:24 pm

Chipmunks are out today here in SW ON. That has to be a good sign. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett