First post & need your input on some old stuff

TripleJay

First post & need your input on some old stuff

Post by TripleJay » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:59 pm

Good afternoon all, just a little bit of my background, been hunting for 40 years, love every season, I’ve had beagles, labs, springers, and now back to beagles. But what I really need help here with is this, my mother passed away a few years ago and while cleaning out her house I came across some antique trophy’s, prints and stuff. Looking at the trophy’s they were awarded to a guy T H Smith. The trophy’s are absolutely beautiful, silver and very intricate in the design. The dates were all late 1800’s and were from field trials and shows in Tennessee, New York, Chicago and other places that I can’t recall just right now. On the trophy’s are the dog names Leicester a couple trophy’s, Dart and I think one was Paris as well. There is a framed print of two dogs that on the back of the print days they are Dart and Leceister. It’s quite a collection!! Does anyone have any idea how these things from the US could end up here in Ontario were I live. It’s a puzzle to me, but any info would be greatly appreciated. There is also a couple old side by side 12 gauge shotguns I think go with this stuff but they were not with all of this when I came across this stuff, they were locked up in our old gun room. I’m stumped

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: First post & need your input on some old stuff

Post by shags » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:36 pm

Leicester was the sire, and Dart the dam, of a dog called Adonis (English Setter) who was the first dog registered by the AKC. AKC was founded in 1884, but the first dogs weren't registered for another year. I've read that Adonis was whelped in 1875.

I have some old books and will see if anything turns up in them.

Edited to add...I found some info in "The Modern Setter" 2nd edition by AJ Hochwalt

L.H. Smith of Strathroy Ont imported Leicester from *the* Mr. Llewellin in England. Leicester was said to be a most beautiful dog, orange and white, but lacking in good temperament, being nervous and gun shy. He was fast but erratic on the ground. He hadca record as a bench dog, but not as a field trial dog. He's credited with helping to set the type for field dogs here.
As a stud, he produced through Dart and is considered to be a pillar in the foundation of The Field Trial Breed (English Setters) in America, although he passed on his positive attributes through daughters and not sons.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by shags on Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TripleJay

Post by TripleJay » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:43 pm

Thanks a bunch, any info would be really neat to hear of. Way back then the majority of dog owners didn’t go to field trials, or hunt for fun, they must have been well off to do this.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:22 pm

Not to apply pressure of any kind, but if those items don't have special meaning to you, here is a worthy place that would probably appreciate them if you'd lend or donate.

https://birddogfoundation.com/

They have wonderful collections of memorabilia of many gundog breeds.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:31 pm

Tennessee? Yikes! Mr. Smith was friends with PH Bryson who owned Gladstone, and Bryson lived in Tennessee.

Gladstone was a foundation dog for field setters.

Dude, I think you have some bird dog history in your hands. Seriously.

TripleJay

Post by TripleJay » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:00 pm

I’m on the road working right now, when I get home, on Saturday, I will take some pictures of all the stuff and figure out a way to post them here. To be honest with you, I have had hunting dogs all my life, and my dad had field trial beagles, but I have never heard of Llewellel setters until now.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:03 pm

Very interesting, please keep us posted.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

TripleJay

Post by TripleJay » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:35 pm

Will do, thanks for all your input, it’s pretty neat how far back all of the history goes, it an I opener . I’ll get some pictures this weekend. Thanks again.
JJJ

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:12 pm

That sounds like the kind of stuff that should be in the bird dog museum - it would likely be a considerable addition to the knowledge base of the foundation dogs in this continent.