collars any really for pointing dogs?

weimdogman

collars any really for pointing dogs?

Post by weimdogman » Mon May 17, 2021 11:02 am

Seriously I never see 1" collars with a d-ring or center ring ( or both) that are a appropriate size for anything smaller then labs or German Shepard. My weims are bigger then most other pointing breeds and collars are to big or not of "working" quality. Why can't holes be 3/4" apart rather then a inch?

Any collar guys paying attention?

art hubbard

Re: collars any really for pointing dogs?

Post by art hubbard » Mon May 17, 2021 2:12 pm

Punch your own holes...

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Mon May 17, 2021 3:42 pm

I know I can punch holes and cut length off. I can also make my own collars. It just seems odd no one has collars for the pointing dog market.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon May 17, 2021 5:05 pm

All my Brittanys are wearing 1" nylon collars with center ring and D-ring. Bought them from the same place I bought the ones for my Lab. Not sure what the trouble is? And at 1" of length extra means .3" of bigger diameter - If you are using a finger width or slack as a guage I sure can't see a need for a finer adjustment.

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Mon May 17, 2021 6:16 pm

Slistoe , where is your source? Honestly don't want nylon but haven't even seen those.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon May 17, 2021 10:30 pm

I got mine from the wholesaler I get my stuff from - but it seems that combo has gone the way of the dodo - but there is good selection of them in leather and various types of coated material, even right from this board sponsor https://www.gundogsupply.com/search2.html?query=collar

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue May 18, 2021 4:59 am

We've used biothane or beta-biothane collars for ages, and like them best. They are tough, they don't collect stink, are easy to clean with just a wipe of a cloth, come in just about any color you could want, in any length you want (my little jagdterrier wears one) and several widths. I like the ones with both center rings and Ds.

I would purchase from this site's sponsor first, but they're widely available. Some of our local Amish harness makers have them.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Tue May 18, 2021 5:54 am

weimdogman wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 11:02 am
Seriously I never see 1" collars with a d-ring or center ring ( or both) that are a appropriate size for anything smaller then labs or German Shepard. My weims are bigger then most other pointing breeds and collars are to big or not of "working" quality. Why can't holes be 3/4" apart rather then a inch?

Any collar guys paying attention?
Mike, what exactly are you looking for in a collar? Gun Dog Supply has a lot of different collars in a variety of sizes and configurations.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Tue May 18, 2021 7:18 am

I glanced at gundog supply yesterday. They do offer many types. I will look at them again on a computer rather then my phone. Hope I just overlooked some options.

K9BigDog

Post by K9BigDog » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:52 am

My setter is on the small side at only 35lbs. I simply went to a 3/4" collar. Plenty to choose from through Gun Dog Supply. I happen to like the ones with the center ring but to each his own.