nstra Trials

oldbeek

nstra Trials

Post by oldbeek » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:37 pm

I am heading to North Cal trial with 3 other guys from So cal. Northern Cal Nevada, NCN, had a trial all ready to go and covid cost them 6 entries. So Cal is going to the rescue. Unless you have put on a trial, you can not imagine how frustrating it is to get enough dogs, judges and birds and not loose money and also keep the price as low as possible. My Missy needs 4 more first place points to get her NSTRA Championship. I am not helping her. Last trial she missed first place by 1 bird. I lost the bird for her by firing my gun after calling safety. Well we will have fun anyway. Wish me luck. Getting a hip replacement soon so I will be out of the game for a little while. Just rambling on I guess. Have a good day.

Garrison

Re: nstra Trials

Post by Garrison » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:45 pm

I love hearing it, give ‘em heck oldbeek! Hopefully they will be saying, nothing more frustrating than throwing a trial and having an old timer with a bad hip from Socal cleaning up the ribbons. :D

Good luck!

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:38 pm

Garrison wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:45 pm
I love hearing it, give ‘em heck oldbeek! Hopefully they will be saying, nothing more frustrating than throwing a trial and having an old timer with a bad hip from Socal cleaning up the ribbons. :D

Good luck!

Garrison
I agree whole heartedly!

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:12 am

Good Luck
I know what it feels like to screw up your dog's chances. I did it many times........Cj

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:37 pm

Her first time on a long trip in a dog trailer full of GSPs. I think she was insulted to be transported in such a shabby manner. Usually up in the cab with me. Had to sleep out in the dog trailer also. Very nice custom trailer. Well,, she totally blew me off. Long hard trip for me and she totally screwed off. Hunted Moles mice and gophers. She has never hunted in wet grass, but that was no excuse.

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:44 am

Hope everyone who trials or tests reads this. Our dogs don't always react to a change in the program. As a example , we shuttle dogs in a box/kennel mounted on a utv to speed up our tracking test in navhda. A dog never having experienced this sometimes does not perform up to par.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:26 pm

This dog has her opinion about stocked birds for sure. Last weekend we had a fun, work and training day at the nstra trial grounds. Dogs know you cant correct them during the trial. We set up mock trials with birds and judges, but dogs could be handled and e-collars could be used. It was success for most. Then there is my dog who just barely tolerates stocked birds. Right out of the starting gate her brace mate went on point. I was going to work on her to back. She shot right passed her brace mate and up over a hill. I buzzed her e-collar and applied a low stem. She circled back to where she could watch her brace mate. Did she back? Heck no. She stopped in a sitting position looking at the dog then turned her head the other way. Giving me the kiss my behind, I aint backing no dog. I sent her on and she found the remaining 3 planted birds. Did she point? Nope! Stood ( down wind) of each bird head high and solid but looking the opposite direction of the bird. I healed her out of the field and staked her out where she could watch the other dogs in a action. She napped the rest of the day. Today we went out to find some wild valley quail and she was flawless. On wild birds she will back every time. I am not going to mess up and excellent hunter just to play a game.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:01 am

That is great!
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:21 pm

and that's why I love gun dogs; they are not robots. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:51 pm

oldbeek wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:26 pm
This dog has her opinion about stocked birds for sure. Last weekend we had a fun, work and training day at the nstra trial grounds. Dogs know you cant correct them during the trial. We set up mock trials with birds and judges, but dogs could be handled and e-collars could be used. It was success for most. Then there is my dog who just barely tolerates stocked birds. Right out of the starting gate her brace mate went on point. I was going to work on her to back. She shot right passed her brace mate and up over a hill. I buzzed her e-collar and applied a low stem. She circled back to where she could watch her brace mate. Did she back? Heck no. She stopped in a sitting position looking at the dog then turned her head the other way. Giving me the kiss my behind, I aint backing no dog. I sent her on and she found the remaining 3 planted birds. Did she point? Nope! Stood ( down wind) of each bird head high and solid but looking the opposite direction of the bird. I healed her out of the field and staked her out where she could watch the other dogs in a action. She napped the rest of the day. Today we went out to find some wild valley quail and she was flawless. On wild birds she will back every time. I am not going to mess up and excellent hunter just to play a game.
My current Brittany got trial smart knowing she could catch those planted quail and I couldn't do anything about it. Take her out training and she would be perfect. But she knew when she was at a trial. One brace she would be great and the next loose as a goose. 2 or 3 times she got DQ'd in less that 2 minutes. I finally made the decision to quit running her in NSTRA as the frustration of being DQ'd got to be too much. Darn dog has all the ability in the world, BUT! Oh well, she's a decent bird hunter and a super pet so I'll live with that.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:05 pm

Dakotazeb wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:51 pm
oldbeek wrote:
My current Brittany got trial smart knowing she could catch those planted quail and I couldn't do anything about it. Take her out training and she would be perfect. But she knew when she was at a trial. One brace she would be great and the next loose as a goose. 2 or 3 times she got DQ'd in less that 2 minutes. I finally made the decision to quit running her in NSTRA as the frustration of being DQ'd got to be too much. Darn dog has all the ability in the world, BUT! Oh well, she's a decent bird hunter and a super pet so I'll live with that.
Sometimes it's good to tha k the judges and when they turn to walk away you make a correction.

I had a young dog try that and caught it the 1st time. Never had issues after.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:04 pm

In my early days, I was running her as a bye dog. There were no other bye dogs to be had. I told the judge if she acts up I was going to shake her up. The judge said he would DQ me. I said, well where are you going to find another bye dog to finish the brace. Checkmate! I know a trainer that uses a hard leather lead. In training correction is issued using the lead. The lead is clipped to your belt and dog knows you have it. My sons GSP got collar wise and we moved on to the hard lead. WOW! where did that come from. No rule against using a stiff leash.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:36 pm

Hip replaced 2 1/2 weeks ago. Doing great. I feel so good I could probably go out and damage it. While asking my surgeon what I could do now, I asked if I could run my dog off my quad. He looks over his glasses and says, Don't screw up that new hip I gave you.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:41 pm

So glad you are doing well. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:46 am

Dakotazeb wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:51 pm
oldbeek wrote:
I am getting a pup out of Dean Goodalls line (Bug and Fly) bred with Boone from the Utah chapter. Boone was trained by the owner and was his first dog. Boone runs like magic and made champion in 1 year. I hope I don't screw this one up. It is an amazing breeding.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:55 am

[/quote] I am getting a pup out of Dean Goodalls line (Bug and Fly) bred with Boone from the Utah chapter. Boone was trained by the owner and was his first dog. Boone runs like magic and made champion in 1 year. I hope I don't screw this one up. It is an amazing breeding.
[/quote]

Dean and Kristi Goodall have some very good dogs. Excellent NSTRA dogs.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5