Thank you

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Thank you

Post by Sharon » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:07 pm

While I think of it, a big thank you to so many members who are taking the time to write such excellent posts ; if one were to sit and read the posts over the past two weeks, you would be amazed at the expertise here. Thank you.

And not only excellent posts, but real gentlemen and ladies. A moderator isn't even really needed here. Very few forums like that. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Garrison

Re: Thank you

Post by Garrison » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:36 pm

Only because the moderator has whipped everyone into shape! When you go on vacation, all bets are off. :lol:
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:17 pm

Garrison wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:36 pm
Only because the moderator has whipped everyone into shape! When you go on vacation, all bets are off. :lol:
You people who think you know everything are quite irritating to we who do. :wink:

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:57 pm

Steve007 wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:17 pm
Garrison wrote:
You people who think you know everything are quite irritating to we who do. :wink:
Steve007,

In Plato’s Apology, I’m pretty sure he said Socrates had something similar to say about this subject.

“For my part, as I went away, I reasoned with regard to myself: I am wiser than this human being. For probably neither of us knows anything noble and good, but he supposes he knows something when he does not know, while I, just as I do not know, do not even suppose that I do. I am likely to be a little bit wiser than he in this very thing: that whatever I do not know, I do not even suppose I know.⁣”

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:41 pm

Garrison wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:57 pm
Steve007 wrote:
Garrison wrote:
Steve007,

In Plato’s Apology, I’m pretty sure he said Socrates had something similar to say about this subject.

“For my part, as I went away, I reasoned with regard to myself: I am wiser than this human being. For probably neither of us knows anything noble and good, but he supposes he knows something when he does not know, while I, just as I do not know, do not even suppose that I do. I am likely to be a little bit wiser than he in this very thing: that whatever I do not know, I do not even suppose I know.⁣”

Garrison
And Acquinas, Nietsche, Descartes and Husserl have been faking it ever since. I think, I believe, I doubt, a search for "essence"... lots of fun with words...and none of them could train a dog. So THERE!

Its getting deep in here!! :D

RayG

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:42 pm

RayGubernat wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:41 pm
Garrison wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:57 pm
Steve007 wrote:

Steve007,

Garrison
And Acquinas, Nietsche, Descartes and Husserl have been faking it ever since. I think, I believe, I doubt, a search for "essence"... lots of fun with words...and none of them could train a dog. So THERE!

Its getting deep in here!! :D

RayG
Ray,
As long as you have been posting, I should correctly say reading these forums……I’m pretty sure you own a good pair of tall rubber boots, maybe even waders!

Garrison
- Mark Twain-

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:23 pm

I have read "Plato's apology" on a number of occasions -- most recently a few months ago-- but don't quite have it memorized. On the other hand, Garrison, I think it unlikely that "neither of us knows anything noble and good." We probably both do. As did Socrates. I like reading classical literature -- though I include essays of Bacon and Emerson along with that-- and find a great deal that applies to normal life and even to dog training. Emerson's essay on "Power" has a lot to be said for it. Re-read it, and see if you don't agree. And being in contact with first-class minds -- other than those on this board, that is-- is beneficial all by itself.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:06 pm

True that decorum is absent from many boards, however, mods like Sharon are equally rare!

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:46 pm

Steve007 wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:23 pm
I have read "Plato's apology" on a number of occasions -- most recently a few months ago-- but don't quite have it memorized. On the other hand, Garrison, I think it unlikely that "neither of us knows anything noble and good." We probably both do. As did Socrates. I like reading classical literature -- though I include essays of Bacon and Emerson along with that-- and find a great deal that applies to normal life and even to dog training. Emerson's essay on "Power" has a lot to be said for it. Re-read it, and see if you don't agree. And being in contact with first-class minds -- other than those on this board, that is-- is beneficial all by itself.
Steve007,

The relative merits of transcendentalism, is about as off topic as the off topic forum has ever been! I have always believed the mark of a master, in any form, be it art, architecture, music or word, is thematic timelessness. “Nature, Fate, Power, Wealth, etc.” being no exception. I am flattered you were generous enough to think I could memorize the previous quote (I had to dust off the book from sophomore year), I just couldn’t stomach the "bleep" “I know that I know nothing”. Truth be told, I have a hard enough time remembering my login to the forum.😉

As far as “Power” some semblance of the following has always stuck with me. “The most amiable of country gentlemen has a certain pleasure in the teeth of the bulldog which guards his orchard.”

So much seems to ring truer today than the day it was written.

Now back to the Bird Dogs!

Garrison
Last edited by Garrison on Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Mark Twain-

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:48 pm

NEhomer wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:06 pm
True that decorum is absent from many boards, however, mods like Sharon are equally rare!
+1
- Mark Twain-

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:45 pm

Sharon -

Your restrained, but firm hand on this forum has been a blessing. It is I who wish to thank you for your patience and diligence in maintaining the high standard of communication on this board. It is a pleasure to correspond here, in large part because of your efforts.

Hang in there my friend.

Ray Gubernat