This REALLY bothers me!!!!!

16gauge

This REALLY bothers me!!!!!

Post by 16gauge » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:18 pm

I wish to heck that D.U., Delta, and other waterfowl organizations would quit giving puppies away as raffle prizes!!!!!
This dog is obviously NOT wanted; now it is being treated like some kind of nonliving 'thing'. I feel sorry for the poor dog.....If things go as they usually do, this poor dog is going to end up being euthanized in some shelter somewhere because the people who end up with it don't/won't realize that chessies require some work and training.
If anyone out there can spare this poor dog from a miserable exsistance, I would be forever greatful. I would take her myself, but I already have two chessies, and the wife says "NO!".

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum ... p?t=227453
Last edited by 16gauge on Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:36 pm

The link didn't work...

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:39 pm

I just forwarded this

about the only and I mean the only time I can see a pup up for auction is at a entirely dog related function. at big dog trials where people are dog people trialing and such

at banquets and auctions like Duck unlimited or SCI or any other type functions I am sorry I agree I do not think it is a good idea at all to donate a puppy

Though meant in a good gesture it is not a good thing :cry:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

16gauge

Post by 16gauge » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:19 pm

Link should work now.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:47 pm

I understand where you all are coming from and I suppose it could happenbut we have done it for years at PF banquet and I think the person who got it wanted it each and everytime. Seems quite odd to me that someone who doesn't want a pup would pay 4 to 8 hundred for one. I don't see a problem with this one either. The people seem responsible and are making every effort to find a good home since they found they had problems keeping it.

I hear this arguement every once in a while but in my experience have never seen a problem arise. Don't see much difference paying the breeder $600 or paying PF $600 for a pup and the money goes for a good purpose.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:02 pm

Thing is many who show up for some of these banquets see the cute puppy and impulse buy on it

I know quite a few pups that when the people got the pup home and realized they really aren't ready for a pup

I have helped to place 3 auction bought puppies myself here in AZ for that very reason
Last edited by kninebirddog on Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:04 pm

The difference is that when you do your homework and spend months working with a breeder you know what you are getting into and you are dead set about the proposition.

At the actions, typically at banquets bidding is fueled by alcohol and testosterone. I never sell a dog to anyone that for whatever reason appears to be an "impulse buyer" no matter whether it's greif, or something else fueling that impulse.

I donated pups to QU and a couple of other organizations over the years for these auctions. 2 of the four I donated were returned to me within a week because when the guy got home, woke up, and sobered up he had a very upset wife. Worse yet on one of those deals the guy expected to get his money back from the organization. I carefully screen the people who buy my pups so I know that the pup is going to have a good life. That's not possible when you donate them for an auction.

I won't donate puppies any more but I will donate a month of training or an occasional hunt. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

Neil Mace

Post by Neil Mace » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:59 am

I have bought 3 dogs at QU auctions, there was no impulse involved. I knew the breeder, knew the parents, knew their records. It was a good way to raise money for a good cause.

In fact, I would much rather see a pup to go to one of the guys at a QU auction than to those that respond to an internet ad, no matter how the breeder tries to screen the buyer.

Neil

phillipsgsp

Post by phillipsgsp » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:35 am

It is good to read this as my local PF chapter has wanted me to donate a pup or started dog for their auction for a few years now. I was going to do it this year but had second thoughts. now after reading the pros and cons I really have second thoughts. Thanks for the info guys.

Chad
"GET THE POINT" http://www.phillipsgundogs.com Family and Shorthairs, it don't get any better than that!
Phillips' Tiptoe'n Tucker MH
Phillips' Lucy in Diguise SH

corytch

Post by corytch » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:42 am

This really bothers me!!!! I think it is the buyer who made the bad decison. as for an impulse buy ive seen lots of nice cars on the show room floor but i know i cant afford a new jaguar so i dont buy it because of its cute. maby this guy wants to make money on the puppy either way if he could not take care of the dog he should have just donated his money to the cause

16gauge

Post by 16gauge » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:17 am

I hear this arguement every once in a while but in my experience have never seen a problem arise. Don't see much difference paying the breeder $600 or paying PF $600 for a pup and the money goes for a good purpose.
The money may go to a good purpose, but what about the dogs? Don't they deserve some consideration in this whole thing? Or do you just figure them to be a disposable commodity? If you are looking to donate the money, then just donate the money.

Here is where that pup is most likely to end up:

http://www.cbrrescue.org/rescue_dogs.asp

....and that is if she is lucky! Not much of a life now, is it? Worth the $300 donation? Not in my book.

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:50 am

Also, if you check with the parent breed club (of whichever breed you own)and a member, you would be violating the Code of Ethics that most but not all have in their membership requirements. I know ours has it (Vizsla, Shiba Inu).

Carla

prairiefire

Post by prairiefire » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:29 am

I only saw a puppy put up in a raffle once, and it was scary. We stopped at a place for dinner and there was a beautiful lab puppy crated in the bar. It was really noisy, smoky--and the puppy was terrified. At first, I just assumed the bar owner had just purchased the pup and wanted to keep him close by. When we were leaving though, I realized they were raffling him off (can't remember what for--I think it was for an area booster program or something). Well, the people involved had clearly had a lot to drink, so they were probably not in the right frame of mind to make a 12 year decision. One guy kept bidding, while his wife kept punching him in the arm, telling him in no uncertain terms that she didn't want a puppy. From what I observed, the outcome didn't look to promising for the pup. I hope I'm wrong...

Awhile back, there was one puppy raffle that seemed to make a bit more sense. Ron Schara (who hosts an outdoors tv program around here) was raffling off one of Raven's puppies to raise money for a PF land conservation program. In that raffle, so many names would be randomly drawn as finalists. From that point, Ron was going to screen the finalists/potential puppy owners and select the best home for the puppy. At least this way, he had some control over making sure that the puppy landed in an appropriate home.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:35 am

The point of my post was that over 20 years or so experience I have never seen a pup go to a home where it wasn't wanted or where it didn't get hunted. Many have ended up back at the breeders for training. There have been people wait for the banquet to purchase a pup, some hoping to get it cheaper and some because they are trying to support PF.

I understand your position and agree it could happen, but in my experience I have never seen it. I also know it could and does happen no matter where the pup is purchased. Our lives do change over the years, and sometimes our dogs are involved in those changes. That is a fact of life and I see no big problem with it. I do hope the people involved find a good home for their dogs but that also does not always happen.

Because we know that can be a problem and in our concern for our dogs rescue groups were formed to try and find those good homes for the dogs. We even advertise our rescue groups so people know they are in existance and we let everyone know what we do. The same is done with the shelters. But then just as soon as someone uses them some of us complain because they do. It would be nice to think a dog would never end up there but since we created the shelters, they will be used. And that is better than tthe alternative of dumping which was the old time way of getting rid of an animal you couldn't care for. This idea of animal shelters and rescue groups have become so ingrained in our way of thinking we have in the past few years done the same thing for people and children. And I see nothing that indicates it won't continue in the future.

I think we all know some dogs will end up in shelters and thats why they were created but I think you will be hard pressed to make the case that most dogs sold at auction end up there. But it could happen and because of that it will happen on occasion. And that does not make the people using the service that does not automatically make the people using them bad.

Just my experience

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.