getting a pup with older dog

GSP9

getting a pup with older dog

Post by GSP9 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:27 am

Looking for some tips and opinions here...

I have a 3 year old GSP male and am thinking about getting a pup. I am happy with what I got in him and the kennel I got him from is having a litter this summer. He has a great typical GSP disposition, but just want to avoid any possible issues. He is around other dogs occasionally but not often. Both dogs would be in the house together and crated when my wife and I aren't home.

Should I lean towards getting a female (and having her spayed) to avoid dominance issues? What other things should I be concerned with in bringing a new dog into the family? What kind of issues have you guys ran into if any in similar situations?

Thanks in advance for the help.

windswept

Post by windswept » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:39 am

I would shout out a resounding "GET A FEMALE".
Not all will agree with me but I think your chances of the two getting along increase dramatically with a male and a female as opposed to two males.
Good luck!

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:46 am

I agree with Windswept. I've had 3 males at the same time and never had a fight (just grumbling), but it's much easier to have a male & female than 2 males or 2 females IMO.

Of course, now I have 2 of each...fun, fun, fun!

GSP9

Post by GSP9 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:55 am

Thanks for the input...it is sort of what I expected.

Any tips on how you "introduced" the new pup to the older dog when you first got them home?

mtjim

Post by mtjim » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:46 am

I couldn't ask for a better situation than I have now.

One of my females (age 20 mos) has adopted the new male puppy I brought home. She will let him eat out of the same bowl she's eating from and will get down and play with him just like a pup. the even sleep together. I leave them together in the outside kennel during the day and have never had a problem.

I wouldn't do that with my 9 year old male dog - I just wouldn't trust him around my pup unsupervised.

It's an individual matter and you really won't know how it'll work out until you put them together and see what kind of relationship develops.
Be wary of the man in the tattered old hunting coat with the bony pointer and the well worn side by side, he'll outshoot you every day.

jcbuch

Post by jcbuch » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:19 am

at first until they socialize with each other I would never let the older dog alone with the puppy. and make sure you continue your usual routine with the older dog to avoid as many jealousy issues as you can. last year I introduced a male puppy to a 10 year old female with out any problems but I didn't expect any as the female is very good. Now at just under 1 year the male and female play like puppies, but when the lady is done she lets him know.

good luck

Joe