Dog needs to put on a few pounds.

winchestermodel50

Post by winchestermodel50 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:59 pm

I have a 4 year old GSP male that runs a little lean all the time. He is a very healthy dog, upper range medium size, a little leggy, but he really needs another 5 lbs on him. I exercise him regularly and have tried a number of brands of quality dog foods. I feed him half again as much as my other dogs but nothing has put weight on him. He has always been on a high protein diet and I'm thinking we should try a lower protein higher fat content. If you've had any success in a similar situation, I would appreciate any dietary suggestions..

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:25 pm

Lowering the protein content on a dog that's worked hard is certainly going to do you no good.

What will put weight on the dog would be to add fat and/or complex carbs to the diet.

Some dogs just run lean no matter how much you feed them. If the dog is healthy, strong, and has good endurance I wouldn't worry too much.

What feed are you feeding now and what is the protien/fat content? How are the other dogs doing? Have you wormed this guy recently or had him checked for worms and coccidia and giardia? CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:02 pm

If the dog is healthy and does what you want then why should you care what he weighs? :lol: You might try mixing in some more raw if you are really concerned about his weight for other reasons that looks. I have a male that no matter how hard you work him or how little you feed him you cant take the weight off of. He's a great bird dog so I dont care, I do get jazzed about the ole boy never missing a meal though! :cry:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

smoothbean

I have a GSP with similar weight issue.

Post by smoothbean » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:07 pm

My shorthair is very lean extremely muscular. My brother had never seen him before and met me at a UFTA trial he said he looked like he was on steroids because he was so ripped.I fed Iams and have been very pleased with it. I started feedind Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete. This put weight on but made his stool loose from the high fat content. I have since backed off a bit as he put on a little weight. I am now feeding half Iams and half Diamond with good results.

PowerPoint

Post by PowerPoint » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:09 pm

When my pointers get thin I keep them on my truck in my box,letting them air 3-4 times a day.while doing this I buy several loaves of whole wheat bread,and give them 6 slices a day in top of my feeding of Black gold.It is cheap,and very effective.You will see results in about 5 days.It doesnt seem to affect their stool,or any negative side effects.They love the extra snacks too.I'll get um out on the tail gate,whoa um.and give um a treat for doing the whoa,and put um back in the box.Their mouthes will start watering while their whoaing,,

BadShot

Post by BadShot » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:38 am

I have a senior...very senior (turned 14 yrs this last Dec) large breed dog that has been losing weight...been feeding him this as treats...vet thought great idea...he's a picky eater and I never thought he would eat this...but he loves them and has worked great!

http://www.njboxers.com/satin-balls-recipe.htm

PowerPoint

Post by PowerPoint » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:06 am

I think I would like that myself if put in "skillet" and on a nice bun,maybe a dash of Mayo...

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:44 am

I've had a few dogs when exercised tend to be a little too lean for my preference, so I found this product. The guy who developed the products is the one you will actually talk to on the phone. He runs retriever trials and is a canine nutritionalist. I would encourage you to call him an talk to him about his product called "Elements E." It may help you without a huge expense.

www.elements-nutrition.com

(612)756-4578

Good Luck,

Nitrex

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:51 am

If I was really concerned I'd do someting like I do with my females the first week or ten days after they whelp. Often with very large litters they are too tired and sore to really want to eat for a few days after whelping.

I'll brown up some 60/40 hamburger or chili meat, then add two or three eggs to it and then stir in some mashed potatos with it and feed a scoop or two of that mixed in with their dog food.

Like I said though some dogs just want to be thin, and are so active that they are going to be very fit and lean no matter how much you feed them.

With the sorry level of care this dog had for such a long time before you got him it may simply take a good while for his system to get back to "normal". CR

Equismith

Post by Equismith » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:08 pm

Libby is very active and doesn't have a huge appetite. She's a little ribby for my taste. She's the first dog I've owned that will turn away food in the morning and evening. I feed Science Diet. I did feed IAMS but my daughter swears by the Science Diet. She works at a vet's office and gets a discount. She appears to digest it well.

I have learned a small trick to get her to eat a little more in hopes to fill in a bit for the ribbiness. I take about two tablespoons of crunchy peanut butter every so often and mix it in her dry food to get her to eat it all. She only gets about 2 cups daily as she just doesn't want anything at times. The peanut butter seems to help. I give her all she wants, but if there is no peanut butter on it, she will not eat for 16-20 hours sometimes. I do it every other day or when she's turned away foor for long periods. She's moody I guess. :wink: But if the Corgi comes near her food, she'll eat just to keep the Corgi from getting it.

I just have to find a good balance.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:18 pm

I just checked the "Elements" website and see it is under re-construction. Go ahead and give him a call if your interested.

Nitrex

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:22 pm

Equismith I've never seen a working dog do well on science diet. They all look anorexic. I'd definitely feed just about anything else. CR

Equismith

Post by Equismith » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:20 pm

I'm on the second 25lb bag. If she keeps it up, I'm going back to IAMS.

Thanks for the tip.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:18 pm

WildRose wrote:Equismith I've never seen a working dog do well on science diet. They all look anorexic. I'd definitely feed just about anything else. CR
x2

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:48 pm

As long as the dog's energy level and endurance is fine I wouldn't worry about it much. Bodie looks like a tooth pick but he weighs 47#. You'd never guess it looking at him. Squirt on the other hand is a husky guy but weighs a bit more. Neither have a problem with energy or endurance.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

The Zephyr

Post by The Zephyr » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:57 am

Dean Gooding gave this information to me when he was still living in CT.

If you want a dog to lose weight add string beans to their diet.

If you want a dog to gain weight add spaghetti-o's and cream cheese to their feed.

I know the string bean diet works as I recommended to a friend with a tubby lab. Ol' puddin' lost a good 7 lbs. of unwanted weight.

I'm sure there'll be some discourse on the nutritional value of spag-o's & cream cheese, but there it is.........

Let the salvos begin!

John L.
FC AFC Fieldmaster's Montauk Zephyr
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=324

Fieldmaster's Oregon Road Phosphorus
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2833

prairiefire

Post by prairiefire » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:21 am

WildRose wrote:
I'll brown up some 60/40 hamburger or chili meat, then add two or three eggs to it and then stir in some mashed potatos with it and feed a scoop or two of that mixed in with their dog food.
Will this create a finicky eater? I'd love to put some weight on my dog quickly (he's always running lean and goes on hunger strikes when with the trainer), but I'd hate to have a dog that then turns down his regular dog food because he's been spoiled by the good stuff.

Winchester--I'm sorry to hear your dog got such a rough start. I hope things turn around for him! :)

winchestermodel50

dog needs to put on a few pounds

Post by winchestermodel50 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:50 am

I wouldn't feel too sorry for this dog. He doesn't have any issues other than he runs a little lean genetically. Sledge lives the life of Riley and he's an eyefull in the field. He's pretty much all Tonelli and I'd clone him if I could.

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:00 pm

prairiefire wrote:
WildRose wrote:
Will this create a finicky eater? I'd love to put some weight on my dog quickly (he's always running lean and goes on hunger strikes when with the trainer), but I'd hate to have a dog that then turns down his regular dog food because he's been spoiled by the good stuff.

Winchester--I'm sorry to hear your dog got such a rough start. I hope things turn around for him! :)
If it does when you take away the "goodies" in a few days it'll create a "hungry eater". I won't coddle them, they'll eat what's offered or go hungry. People that go out of their way to cater to a spoiled dogs (or child's) whims end up having to do so for life. I'm just talking about a way to, in the short term, add some quality calories until the specific goal is met.

I do this with pretty much all of my bitches for the first week or at least several days after whelping. When they have their strength back I quit and they go back to eating kibble. None of them has ever starved to death. CR

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:05 pm

I had some issues with weight both up and down, i tried the hamburger with some rice, and at first he did kinda say well, umm wtf wheres the good stuff. But just like CR said don't cottle them. They will eat if there hungry. After about the 4th time of them getting some they knew that its only for a treat not an everyday occurance.

WolfMansDad

Post by WolfMansDad » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:08 pm

My oldest dog was the runt of the litter, and I worked at bulking him up when he was a puppy. I fed him grilled-cheese sandwiches (on whole wheat bread), quesadillas, and cheeseburgers, in addition to his regular diet of mixed canned and dry pro-plan. I also exercised him 5-6 days per week, sometimes running him in the field and sometimes just roading him in a harness. I tried scrambled eggs without much success, and potatoes made him fart.

He's lean now at 55#, but he's taller than his relatives. I'm very pleased with his endurance.